View Full Version : US Supreme Court to Hear 'BongHits4Jesus" Case

OkieKAS
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Press attention on the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court yesterday has focused almost exclusively on free-speech issues for high school students while they're in school or involved in school activities.

"Alaska high-school student Joseph Frederick, was an 18-year-old senior in 2002 when the torch for the Winter Olympics was scheduled to pass in front of the high school. Frederick was standing on a public street as the TV cameras came into range. He and several other students then unfurled the 14-foot banner that said, "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

The school's principal, Deborah Morse, ripped it away from the students and sent Frederick to the office." He was suspended for 5 days, she doubled Frederick's suspension from five days to 10 after he brought up Thomas Jefferson and the First Amendment in his defense.

"A federal judge rejected his claim, but the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled for the student and said the principal could be forced to pay damages. No damages have been set, and the school board urged the Supreme Court to overrule the 9th Circuit."

Easy180
05-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I like the latest ruling...Ridiculous he got suspended for 10 days over a funny banner unfurled on a public street

Martin
05-22-2007, 05:42 AM
interesting case. while i'm generally for protecting speech, i think this matter depends heavily on whether or not mr fredrick was participating in a school-sanctioned event when he and other students decided to unfurl their sign.

if the district's students were excused from school so that they may attend the torch passing if they chose to, then mr fredrick was acting on his own time and was off school property. therefore his speech should be protected and not subject to school policy.

if the students were simply let out of class for the express purpose of viewing the event, not unlike a pep assembly or a field trip, then i'd say that mr fredrick was not acting on his own time, but is subject to the school's policies and procedures.

-M

Karried
05-22-2007, 07:24 AM
It could be hit a bong as in a drum...

bong - To give forth or cause to give forth a clear, resonant sound

I'm reaching here ... lol I doubt that's what he meant.

OkieKAS
05-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Fredrick and his pals claimed that they just saw the BongHits4Jesus as a sticker on a skateboard. He, adamantly, claimed that it was not for the purpose of promoting the use of drugs.
They were being filmed on TV, so they thought the stunt would be funny. I reckon that he still thinks it is funny.
Freedom of Speech is a powerful thing.

jbrown84
05-22-2007, 09:22 AM
interesting case. while i'm generally for protecting speech, i think this matter depends heavily on whether or not mr fredrick was participating in a school-sanctioned event when he and other students decided to unfurl their sign.

if the district's students were excused from school so that they may attend the torch passing if they chose to, then mr fredrick was acting on his own time and was off school property. therefore his speech should be protected and not subject to school policy.

if the students were simply let out of class for the express purpose of viewing the event, not unlike a pep assembly or a field trip, then i'd say that mr fredrick was not acting on his own time, but is subject to the school's policies and procedures.

-M

Good point.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I am so tired of the schools having a Barney Fife attitude on simple mistakes. This kid was being your typical high school prankster.

The school officials should have just asked him to remove the sign. The punishment should have been a meeting with his parents, a couple of days dentention and maybe an essay on proper conduct at school activities. The ten day suspension was just the prinicipal behaving like Barney Fife.

I have a feeling the Supreme Court will agree with both sides.

A student has a right to express their opinion however, there is a time a place for everything. Although they went to extreme measures, the school was applying the punishment in the means of preserving good conduct at that event and future events.

Misty
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Too funny, he should show up in court with a Bong Hits For Jesus t-shirt. I swear, people are just too damn uptight. Life is short, people need to laugh more!