View Full Version : Sigh... a piece of history lost

Dark Jedi
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, I was raised, for the most part, by my Grandparents. Grandpa was a WWII Marine, and the last surviving member of the Marine Special Forces Recon teams in WWII (that we can find).

I have been asking for several years now for his stories. You see, this aspect of WWII history is sadly lacking in documentation and history. I hate to see such a critical part of the Pacific War history pass without a trace.... but I run in to a roadblock.

Most of what they did was not documented. They were often given verbal orders and told "Get the job done, don't tell me how." On top of that, these men were very tight long after the war. Grandad's friends were all Marine Recon buddies. They swore an oath of honor that no one tells the things they had to do to survive.

Well, to an old Pacific War Marine, an oath of honor is not something that will ever be broken. Ever.
I have asked him to work around it without bending it or breaking it, but he will not, and today gave me the final answer: "No. Nothing, not now, not ever." I respect his oath, and I respect his wishes. But I am saddened by this historical loss.

Such history, knowing that the Marines landed on Iwo Jima 15 days before the main assault happened... knowing the recon of Okinawan bunkers and tunnels 3 weeks before the landings was key to that operation's success... and knowing we will never know the details. This saddens me.

Tim
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Jedi, was your Grandfather one of "Edson's Raiders"? The historical documentation covering that particular unit is fairly thorough, but the early Recon Marines were not so well covered. You may want to check out the search terms "Sykes-Fairburn" (or any variation thereof) and "Edson's Raiders".

Dark Jedi
05-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Jedi, was your Grandfather one of "Edson's Raiders"? The historical documentation covering that particular unit is fairly thorough, but the early Recon Marines were not so well covered. You may want to check out the search terms "Sykes-Fairburn" (or any variation thereof) and "Edson's Raiders".

Carlson's raiders is another of the groups. Grandad was not either of those units, but it was similar missions.

Tim
05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Totally forgot Carlson's Raiders! Tough era to research, and you've probably done all of the things I'm suggesting, but the Marine Corps Museum at MCRD San Diego may have some resources for ya! Tell your Granddad Semper Fi for me!

Dark Jedi
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Totally forgot Carlson's Raiders! Tough era to research, and you've probably done all of the things I'm suggesting, but the Marine Corps Museum at MCRD San Diego may have some resources for ya! Tell your Granddad Semper Fi for me!

Will do. I checked out that museum when I graduated there myself.... no help on this topic.

The drill instructors asked if anyone of note would attend, I told them a WWII Marine Raider might, and they went all quiet on me. My other possible attendee floored them more... a Chosin survivor. (Turned out nether could make it, but the look on their faces when I told them was priceless.)