View Full Version : Centennial story on FOX25

BailJumper
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone catch the story on FOX last night about how much the centennial celebration is costing?

$20K a piece for street clocks! They are nice but c'mon.

And, what about the tens of thousands spent on office space, furniture and computers? Are you telling me the state had no unused office space, desks or computers to be loaned?

Crazy i tell you!

SOONER8693
05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Maybe a tractor pull, cow-chip throwing contest, or cock fight would have been more appropriate for our state's centennial celebration. Those probably would not have cost much.

BailJumper
05-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah - you're right. Nothing says "You're Doing Fine Oklahoma" like $90-million.

Lord knows those in attendance will for days be talking about the Centennial office spaces, new furniture, laptops and wondering how to get their hands on a $20K clock.

Of course, they can always turn on the TV and see where kids continually slip through DHS's "watchful" eyes only to turn up abused and dead because they claim they have no funding. Better yet, there is sure to be a story on Okie teenage pregnancies, STD's or divorce rate. But, hell lets throw a party!

SOONER8693
05-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow. BailJumper, you're pretty fired up about this. That's really intense.

Karried
05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
You forgot our F grade in Public Education.

Patrick
05-21-2007, 08:19 PM
You forgot our F grade in Public Education.

That's why I'm a big fan of private education through private schools. There's better education offered in schools where the employees are kept accountable by the influence of the good ole US dollar. Just look at the list of colleges private school students get accepted into every year.

In public schools, lazy employees are protected by tenure. That's not to say there aren't good teachers in the public schools....obviously, our very own bandnerd is quite a teacher. But, I knew of a few teachers in my public high school (Northeast) that never would've survived in a private school.

Millie
05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Are you people serious?

The Centennial Celebrations are a huge focusing point. They will bring national attention to Oklahoma- this is a big chance to make a positive impression.

Patrick
05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Then let private funds pay for it. Think of how many text books $90 million would buy.

BailJumper
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
They will bring national attention to Oklahoma- this is a big chance to make a positive impression.

You're getting me right? Yes, they will be talking far and wide about our million dollar statues by the canal. And the clocks! Did you see the clocks? Man that Oklahoma is way more progressive then I thought.

Millie
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Then let private funds pay for it. Think of how many text books $90 million would buy.

Wasn't the lottery supposed to pay for textbooks?

I think that cuts can (and should) be made within and among the school districts before we funnel any more money to education.

Millie
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
You're getting me right? Yes, they will be talking far and wide about our million dollar statues by the canal. And the clocks! Did you see the clocks? Man that Oklahoma is way more progressive then I thought.

You're right. Let's call the whole thing off.

While we're at it, somebody call DC and make sure that the government doesn't spend any money on Independence Day celebrations this year. And let's make sure that Massachusetts doesn't do anything for Patriots Day. And let's not even get started on all the money that towns spend on corn/wheat/chocolate/whatever other kinds of local festivals.

All the money people spend on community-building and the like should go straight to schools.

BailJumper
05-22-2007, 05:44 AM
I love the all or nothing mentality (or is it mental retardation?) of some people. I didn't say call it off. I didn't bash each and every expenditure.

Are you saying it aided in the celebration to spend tens of thousands on office space, new furniture and computers when the state already has excess of all 3?

Mark the centennial, just don't rape those you are celebrating.

Are you one of those, don't give me the facts, just give me a party kinda person?

jbrown84
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I like the clocks, but we didn't need as many of them as we got.

What is the deal with the office space and computers? Who was that for?

I don't think 90 million is much of a blip on the radar compared to the overall state budget, or how much the latest city bond issue is worth. We can go on an on about how this should be reapportioned and that area of governement got too much money. It's a never-ending, subjective issue.

BailJumper
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
What is the deal with the office space and computers? Who was that for?

Oklahoma Centennial Commission
133 W. Main Street, Suite 100

drumsncode
05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't think we need to have any kind of a party, and who cares what others think of our state? Do we want the whole nation moving here and f'ing it up?

I look at 90 million dollars and can think of incredible things we could do with that money besides piss it away so a bunch of drunk, lard-butt Oklahomans can have a fun night.

I can see all the party-goers ten years from now, "Wow, did you see those clocks! I'll never forget those clocks! This is the best state EVER!"

In the meantime, the Jesus House and other places will be struggling for money every year just to pay their electric bills and we'll be seeing stories on homeless people, how the Food Bank is running low on food, etc. But oh hell, we had a great party!

Think about how much good 90 million dollars could do placed into an account drawing 5% interest for the rest of eternity. Our government is a bunch of morons.

I'm glad FOX25 is calling them out on it.

BailJumper
05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
In fairness, the $90million isn't for one night of partying. The 'celebration' is year long. I also think some of the expenditures are 'okay.' I just think more oversight and better spending would be prudent.

jbrown84
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
In fairness, the $90million isn't for one night of partying.

Exactly. Getting a little out of control with the accusations there, drumsncode.

drumsncode
05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
You're right, it isn't just for one night of partying, it's for the incredible legacy of having 100 clocks all over town that will be remembered by generations to come as THE reason they felt compelled to move to Oklahoma.

If it was one night of partying, that would be one thing, but instead, wait 5 to 10 years and your tax dollars will be spent on cleaning and servicing those clocks, creating an on-going tax burden.

Our government is out of control, there's no two ways about it. It's at the Federal level all the way down. We've got money do all this "cute" stuff, yet schools yell all the time about running out of money, and everyone in government thinks they deserve a raise every few years. I dodged all the potholes on the way to buy my gas-price inflated groceries today, and the list is endless.

Tom Coburn is trying to do something about all the stupidity, and it sounds like McCain would like to do something too.

The Centennial Celebration is just an example of wasteful, unnecessary spending of our money. The city officials will tell you how much it will stimulate our economy, no doubt like the lottery did with all its empty promises.

I wonder if people are out there right now planning their summer vacations, saying "Honey, we've GOT to go to Oklahoma this year instead of Colorado and see those clocks!" Just don't get stopped for a traffic violation in Oklahoma, or the cops will taser you repeatedly until you die, then claim the taser did not contribute to your death. They'll claim the force was justified, because as you reached into your wallet to retrieve your license that you were "going for what looked like a gun".

Yep, we've got a great government. Add up all the taxes you pay at the Federal and State level, then add the gasoline taxes, sales taxes, and everything else, then tell me our government is not out of control.

jbrown84
05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
No one ever said the clocks were a tourist attraction.

Tim
05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
It's been my experience that poor planning and badly spent funds are a direct result of citizens apathy. Every meeting involving public funds is subject to the open meeting act. You can attend and you can have your opinion heard as long as it is presented at the appropriate time during the meeting. All meeting notices are published in print and on the City website.
It's fine to come to this forum and gripe about decisions made by our officials, but it's even more rewarding to have some input on these decisions before they impact the community. A very wise lady once remarked that "The world is run by the people who show up."
Also, I kinda like our clock here in E-Town! Beats the hell out of that stupid dog statue!

CuatrodeMayo
05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
No joke...that thing was God-awful.

BailJumper
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
What I wanna know is why there are no Indians on the downtown mural?

Millie
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I love the all or nothing mentality (or is it mental retardation?) of some people. I didn't say call it off. I didn't bash each and every expenditure.

Are you saying it aided in the celebration to spend tens of thousands on office space, new furniture and computers when the state already has excess of all 3?

Mark the centennial, just don't rape those you are celebrating.

Are you one of those, don't give me the facts, just give me a party kinda person?

No, I'm actually a very well-reasoned person. I don't buy into knee-jerk reactions precipitated by the news media, is all.

Do you have any idea what the magnitude of the state budget is, or what fraction of that budget this money represents? Do you understand the impact of tourism dollars that are being brought in by the centennial celebration? This 90 million dollars existed somewhere last year and the schools were no better off for it.

Millie
05-22-2007, 09:38 PM
It's been my experience that poor planning and badly spent funds are a direct result of citizens apathy. Every meeting involving public funds is subject to the open meeting act. You can attend and you can have your opinion heard as long as it is presented at the appropriate time during the meeting. All meeting notices are published in print and on the City website.
It's fine to come to this forum and gripe about decisions made by our officials, but it's even more rewarding to have some input on these decisions before they impact the community. A very wise lady once remarked that "The world is run by the people who show up."
Also, I kinda like our clock here in E-Town! Beats the hell out of that stupid dog statue!

Well said, Tim.

:congrats:

BailJumper
05-23-2007, 05:51 AM
So, what you're saying Millie is we should just put our heads in the sand and chalk everything up to "It's gonna make OKC the Disney World of the central United States!"

Do we really need to list all the financial fiascos that were spoon fed to the taxpayers over the years.

Funny how you know I've conceeded that many expenditures I have no complaint with. However, you refuse to address what I was really talking about - thousands spent on office space, NEW furniture, computers and other things that have NOTHING to do with tourism. Turn off the bias filter and re-read my comments.

jbrown84
05-23-2007, 08:40 AM
You don't think those people need offices or furniture? Should they sit on the floor and organize all the paperwork in stacks?

BailJumper
05-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I realize you may feel that not reading previous posts speeds things along - but, ummmmmm, not really.

I clearly questioned the expenditure when there is plenty of surplus. The state has tons of office space, furniture and computers to get the job done without buying brand new.

jbrown84
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
How do you know that?

Millie
05-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes, how do you know that?

And I don't think that anybody is planning to turn anything into Disneyland. For the most part, the Centennial is a one-time celebration. Few of the expenses will continue, though those clocks you like so much may be around for awhile...

BailJumper
05-24-2007, 05:56 AM
You're actually justifying the expenditure by saying it "is a one-time celebration?" IMO that is what makes SOME of the expenditures obscene.

I see the state's reports all the time, the state has tons of office space that could have been used by the commission. We have a warehouse full of unused office furniture and surplus computers. So much so we routinely auction them off.

drumsncode
05-24-2007, 06:01 AM
FOX25 also aired yet another story last night, this one was on how our legislators are wasting time and thus, wasting our money. I hope you guys saw it.

This is what I love about FOX25. They're not afraid to expose things like this.

SOONER8693
05-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I teach and am a Senior class sponsor(1 of 3) at Westmoore High School. We purchased one of the clocks for our campus. We are the only high school in the state to have one. It was done for several reasons, including, celebrating the state's centennial, adding something beautiful to our campus, and as a senior gift. It cost us 46K. No school money or state funds were spent on the clock. It was purchased with student raised money and private donations. It has, in a short time, become a focal point on our campus, both physically and pride-wise for our students, faculty, and alumni. I think it will prove to be a lasting icon to the state's centennial for years to come.

BailJumper
05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I have absolutely no problem with the clocks as a "senior gift." It's the taxpayer gifted ones that are annoying.

That's quite a tidy some for a high school fundraiser. Imagine what that money could have done to setup a scholarship fund for needy seniors - now, there's a source for pride - but hey, a clocks cool too.

jbrown84
05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm not positive, but I thought all the clocks were payed for by various private donations, like the one in front of the Cox that was paid for by NBC Bank.

SOONER8693
05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Because of our dealings with the Centennial clock people, I believe you are correct to a point. There were some matching funds from the state on all but ours at Westmoore. Because we were a public school, we could not get matching funds. So, we did it 100% ourselves.

BailJumper
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm not positive, but I thought all the clocks were payed for by various private donations, like the one in front of the Cox that was paid for by NBC Bank.

Details, details, details - I have no need for them.

I'm actually surprised nobody jammed down my throat the fact that the whole $90-million bill is not all tax dollars.

allseeingeye
05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
FOX25 also aired yet another story last night, this one was on how our legislators are wasting time and thus, wasting our money. I hope you guys saw it.

This is what I love about FOX25. They're not afraid to expose things like this.

Funniest damn story I've seen on the news in years but, sadly, true.

Easy180
06-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Looks like those expenditures may be paying off

Check out the Top 10 Yahoo searches for today....Number 10 baby!! :rawr:

Kind of puts it in perspective when you realize we are behind Whale Shark Pictures and Thomas the Tank Engine

Today's Top Searches

Ruth Graham
Whale Shark Pictures
Prince Harry
Thomas the Tank Engine
Father’s Day Poems
Lisa Ann Walter
Daytime Emmy...
Flag Day
Sammy Sosa
Oklahoma Centennial

jbrown84