View Full Version : Question for you rich northsiders

Easy180
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
J/K

Was wondering if anyone in any direction has had any landscaping done and if so who you used and the approx cost

Not looking to do anything over the top just bring out our little flower bed some in front of the house and curve it and a little something something around the tree in the front yard...Tilling it, border and throwing in some plants

Know it's not very helpful info, but I'm wondering if landscaping in general is pretty pricey

Any help from people that actually spend time outside would be appreciated!

BailJumper
05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
No referrals here - I'm a do-it-yourselfer.

Sounds though like something you could easily do yourself and save some cash.

Flower beds: Easy stuff. Decide how you want to border it (landscaping blocks, vinyl edging, wood, etc.).

Around the tree: Again, decide how you want to border it.

You'll also have to decide if you want to put down weed block sheeting, enriched soil and then what types of plants.

Lets make this an OKC Talk group input project. Can you post a photo and let us give you some tips.

Spend some time at Borders or B&N and sit with a mocha and a stack of landscaping magazines. Take some notes and before you know it you will have saved some money and completed something that leaves your wallet and your pride satisfied!

Easy180
05-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I have thought about it bailjumper, but my wife has had it up to here w/ all my halfa** projects over the years

The attempt to install a toilet was the last straw :sofa:

I know it's a waste of money, but just knowing myself I think it's best for my home (and it's value) if I bring in some pros on this one

BailJumper
05-21-2007, 06:56 AM
LOL, My wife has strick orders that I am to do nothing that involves plumbing or electricity.

Seriously though, you'd be amazed what the following steps can do....
Flower Bed;
1. Use a can of spray paint to outline on your grass where you want your flower bed(s).
2. Take a flat ended shovel and remove the grass from with in that area.
3. I use a "Garden Claw" type hand operated weed tool to loosen up my soil.
4. Work in some fertilizer (liquid or pellets).
5. Trim the border of your flower bed(s). I like the simple black rubber/vinyl edging. Get the kind at HomeDepot that doesn't have to be trenched (you'll thank me for that). You simple lay it out in the sun to get flexible, outline your flowerbed (curves are nice) and stake it into the ground. Looks just like the kind you have to trench when you are done.
6. Lay down some weed screen (best price is Sam's Club - get the screen stables at Wal-Mart).
7. Cut some holes in the screen (once installed) to accomodate plants.
8. Fill in the rest with mulch.

Tools Needed:
Spray paint (outline beds)
Flat ended shovel (to remove unwanted grass and a little bit of soil and for digging holes for shrubs)
Small potting shovel (to plant smaller plants)
Hand saw (to cut edging to size)
Rake or even the Garden Claw! (to break up the soil in the flower bed and level the area)
Utility knife (to cut weed screen and holes in weed screen)
Rubber mallet or hammer (to drive edging stakes into ground)

TADA! - satisfaction.

If going with landscaping blocks, and you have no experience, I'd call in some experts. To do it right takes several steps and equipment. Otherwise you get leaning/unlevel walls and problems in the future.

NE Oasis
05-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Another DIY'r heare. I'm Mr Retaining Wall at my place, anything you can do is better with railroad ties!
The soil question starts with do you live NW (Minick Materials) or NE (Buckley's).
Landscaping is lots of fun. The trick is plan first, then execute the plan. It's far too easy to grow as you go.

BailJumper
05-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I get my soil out of a place in Edmond. I have bought landscaping rocks at Minick but felt their soil was a bit pricey.

Karried
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Easy180, I thought of you today.. better get on finding a landscaper..lol

BROKEN LAWNMOWER

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed. But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first, the truck, the car, or golf - always something I
thought more important to do. Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point.

When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing scissors. I watched silently for a short time and then went into the house. I was gone only a few minutes when I came out again and handed her a toothbrush.

I said, ""When you finish cutting the grass, you might as well sweep the driveway.""

The doctors say I will walk again, but I will always have a limp.

Patrick
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Most of my doctor friends use:

McFarland Landscapes (http://www.yellowpages.com/sp/yellowpages/getypclick.jsp?searchId=2&linkType=1&q=Lanscaping&id=85413625&impressionId=46&zp=&listingId=85413625&st=OK&ci=Oklahoma+City)
8401 NW 39th Expy
Bethany, OK 73008

(405) 789-5737

Susan Chambers, owner of Lakeside Women's Renaissance, has used them for years, and they do a really fine job.

BMG
05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I was curious. What happens in the winter? DO you have to re weed screen and replant do the plants come back? Maybe I should search the internet? ;)

BailJumper
05-22-2007, 07:29 PM
The weed screen will last for years, especially with mulch on top of it. I do remove and add more mulch each year.

We plant mostly perennials (which come back each year) and then some annuals for vibrant color.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-29-2007, 04:13 AM
You can skip the spraypaint and just lay out the garden hose in a squiggly line :D

If you find somebody to do the work for you...And if you want some white rock for some accents...I've got a ton or two left over from when I built my house just sitting there in a large pile mocking my lazy butt. :D

BailJumper
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
You can skip the spraypaint and just lay out the garden hose in a squiggly line

Yeah, but then I'd trip over it, spill my beer, ruin my best wife beater t-shirt and say to hell with it and go inside and watch TV.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-30-2007, 12:09 AM
That's what beer hats are for man!

BailJumper
05-30-2007, 06:15 AM
That's what beer hats are for man! i so forgot about those! Or, just fill up one of those cyclist water back packs!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-30-2007, 06:18 AM
My Camelback doesn't have a pressure relief valve :(

metro
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I got a better idea. Buy a condo and move downtown with the rest of us. Then you don't have to worry about it. And the common areas are upkept by the HOA!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-02-2007, 07:10 PM
People downtown wouldn't put up with my noisy butt for 3 days.

MadMonk
07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, nothing shows pride of ownership more than pointing to Pedro and his merry band of mowers while saying "Um...he does it". :D

Yep, there's nothing like communal living, I tell ya.