View Full Version : CBD Envisioned: Downtown Beyond Resurgance

okcpulse
05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
On a hot July afternoon in 1991, I was standing with my grandmother on the corner of Leadership Square during the brief lunch rush. The central business district was bustling for about thirty minutes. Afterward, the streets returned to their empty state, and all that was heard was the gentle roar of rooftop cooling units and chirping birds. She took me to the 35th floor of what was then known as Liberty Tower. Today, we call it Chase Tower, Oklahoma City's tallest building. I didn't lean my head against the glass as did Ferris Bueller, but I did gaze across the entire city- a city stagnant from the oil bust and just barely recovering. Below was the empty Skirvin Hotel. At the time the hotel was closed for only three years, but with only one downtown hotel at the time, I never imagined the reopening of this mammoth landmark. I was sure it was headed for implosion. Beyond the Skirvin, I watched cars creep along North Broadway, before the area would be designated Automobile Alley. The intersections were still plain, no ornamental wheels were paved. And yet, in the middle of the bland canvas that was downtown, I still believed, and imagined a downtown enjoyed by the whole city, state and tourists. I saw a downtown that didn't close at five o'clock.

Sixteen years later, there is plenty of living proof that I wasn't the only one had dreamed a wild vision. Others did the same, and they are bringing that vision to fruition. My last visit to OKC in March left me in awe of the endless amount of activity happening not just in Bricktown, but all over downtown. And the traffic on a Friday afternoon was a bit on the heavy side. Granted, that was due to the ongoing Big 12 Tournament at the Ford Center and Cox Convention Center. But an event that huge is what happens in a downtown that is alive, and booming. So many properties were being restored it was impossible to count or write on paper. And it is inspiring to see city leaders look beyond today's downtown, and that is exactly what I am doing. In five years, I see Oklahoma City with several new towers, one to be the tallest in the state, adorning our skyline. Another museum, and the Plaza Court area full of tourists at a nationally renowned but local pub and restaurant. I see bikers, runners and walkers trailing along green paths twisting gently through a new green belt south of downtown.

I see residents walking home from work making plans with friends to meet them in Automobile Alley on a second floor balcony for a drink at a popular restaurant. Others will be scouring the wine aisle of a downtown wine store with trendy decor and a vast selection. Imagine the bitter-sweet inconvenience of a section of Robinson being closed while several scenes of a huge film are being shot on location. These things I imagine for our downtown, and I rest assured knowing others are with me in this realization. But there are other ideas for downtown not thought of. Oklahoma School of Science and Math is near downtown. How about an art institute for anyone of any age? A school for musicians of any genre? There are many tools that can be harnessed to enhance the quality of life for downtown residents, and it's far from a pipe dream. And let me make a BOLD suggestion. Let's stop competing with American cities. Lets start competing with international cities... the likes of Europe, Canada and China.

COVER STORY - MAY 2007 EDITION

HOT ROD
05-17-2007, 08:10 PM
In addition, also envision a downtown low-floor trolley full of office workers riding to their homes and restaurants throughout downtown's districts. Also, with the new towers, the city now has a fledgling high-floor communter rain line shuttling commuters from Guthrie to a new station at the University of Oklahoma via downtown Oklahoma City.

Nixon7
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I hope you are right about more towers spicing up the skyline...

Doug Loudenback
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Dreamers are good! Neal Horton, god rest his soul, was such a guy - though he did not live to see his dream realized, we have. Soooo ... dream on!

Blangdon
05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
I envision a village of multi-use buildings located in/near bricktown much like the "West Village" on Mckinney in Dallas. It will have a promenade running between the closely spaced buildings with gardens/waterfalls/fountains making up the median and lined with boutique/national retail and restaurants for local, national, and international patrons. OKC is growing...it's important that it grows the proper ways for it's sustainment. Dream on...all of us.