View Full Version : Bars

u50254082
05-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Are there any nice little bars in Norman besides the ones on Campus Corner and in the obvious eateries? (Chilis, Applebees, etc)

I'm looking for a place to go after work with friends to have a beer and relax...

ouguy23
05-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Theres's a bar off of main street thats called blu thats really nice inside and a really good chill place. Also there's Bison Witches, O'Connells, The Mont, Champions, Louie's West etc.

CS_Mike
05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Also on Main St. east are Coach's (near the railroad tracks) and the Vista (top floor of the tallest building on Main). I frequented Bison Witches in college because of the good sandwich selection and the daily drink specials. I haven't gone in the 6 years since, so I don't know if it's changed much.

The west side of the highway has Louie's in Brookhaven Village (as ouguy23 already mentioned). I believe there is a Henry Hudson's at around main and 36th if I recall correctly (if you're a Hudson's kind of guy). Aside from the obvious eateries off of I-35, the west side selection of bars is a little lacking. I believe Champions closed a month or two back, so scratch that off the list.

Don't overlook the Library on Boyd (west of Elm). It's a great place to sit out on the patio with a beer (and their selection is pretty good considering the size of the place). It was a favorite of mine in college, and my buddies and I still meet up there on occasion.

kevinpate
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
> a place to go after work with friends to have a beer and relax

There was a time I greatly enjoyed the tavern side of Othello's. It is on the northern part of campus corner and I understand you were looking for other areas. However, the precise attraction, for me, was its near total lack of being a student hangout. It was a nice quiet neighborhood pub. When I was a far more regular customer, back in my late 20's to mid 30's, I was frequently the youngest person present unless I was responsible for bringing along a younger co-worker or friend.

Nothing against students, nothing at all, but a quiet evening without all that typically goes along with a student hangout made for many great evenings.

u50254082
05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

CS_Mike - What's a "Hudson's kind of guy"? LOL

Easy180
05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
I just raised my hand....Cheap beer and lots of it

Perfect happy hour when you are in bed by 8 :bow:

CS_Mike
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Easy180 hit the nail on the head!

I've been to a few Hudsons, and I've noticed they generally only carry the usual domestics on tap. The happy hour specials are terrific if you drink Bud and Bud Light, but my tastes aren't the same as they used to be. I mostly drink imports and microbrews now, so Hudson's doesn't really offer what I look for nowadays.

So a "Hudson's kind of guy" certainly isn't meant to be derogatory. Some people enjoy domestics and some don't. I fall in the latter category. I do have vague memories of my earlier days of drinking when my friends and I would have a table-top comletely full of empty mugs that had previously been full of Budweiser. That's what Hudson's has to offer :)

Easy180
05-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Actually CS I'm right with ya...My days at Hudson's are over for the most part

Usually head to Belle Isle for the microbrews

My wife gets annoyed I have to drink the expensive beer now

Happy hours at Hudson's now would hurt me too much the next morning given my advanced age (mid 30's) :053:

kevinpate
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
> advanced age (mid 30's)

Putting advanced age and 30's in the same thought ... that's just cold 8^)