View Full Version : I just won $200,000 USD!

AFCM
05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Last night, I received an email from some guy in Europe named Jim. He said that I was randomly selected to receive $200,000. All I have to do is send him my bank account information, social, and some other personal information, and the money will be deposited within a few days. I can't wait to quit my job and live the good life. Man, I'm so lucky to have received this once in a lifetime email! Don't worry guys, you're luck will turn someday. As for all of you little people reading this at home, you can all wash my windows before I drive away in my new BMW.

:)

Jake

Keith
05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Last night, I received an email from some guy in Europe named Jim. He said that I was randomly selected to receive $200,000. All I have to do is send him my bank account information, social, and some other personal information, and the money will be deposited within a few days. I can't wait to quit my job and live the good life. Man, I'm so lucky to have received this once in a lifetime email! Don't worry guys, you're luck will turn someday. As for all of you little people reading this at home, you can all wash my windows before I drive away in my new BMW.

:)

Jake
I know this post was made out of jest, but unfortunately some people (especially the elderly) will give someone all that information.

Karried
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I know... I saw a special on TV ( I believe it was some news Investigation show....) but they tracked down these creeps that send out these types of emails and letters to people.. they have complete office complexes setup just calling people and emailing.. they had a name for rich Americans but I can't remember the details.

Here's a twist, my mom was advertising something for sale in the local classifieds.. the guy ask her to send a pic.. she does and then he writes back.. okay, I've made arrangements to have the item picked up and and I'll be paying only with a wire transfer or money order etc etc... he was trying to scam her out of money on an item she was selling!

NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER give out any info to anyone ... even if the email looks like it came from your bank. They will never Email you and ask your password.. always call first to confirm!

Another story about my mom... her purse was stolen out of her locked car.... they broke the window... they had her keys, her cards etc etc.. she gets a phone call a few weeks later from a 'Detective' working the case.. all he needs is her social security number and more information and other info to verify that the cards he found are hers! She told him she would call him back at the station... no such detective!

Sheesh... they are getting crafty!

Patrick
05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
And BTW, don't fall into the same trap I did. Paypal does not send out emails requesting info. I received an email that looked like it was legit and from Paypal. The email said to click on a link to update my credit card info....as it said my account was expiring. Looked like the link was legit. Entered the info. Well, days later, Todd Reagor tells me that emails like that are spam....ends up someone tried to make some purchases with my credit card over in Europe...I got the cal from my credit card company asking me if I'd traveled out of the country. I told them no, and they gave me the info. Closed the account immediately, and had them issue me a new card.

And, I still get these emails, supposedly from service@paypal. I delete them all. If I need to change info on my paypal account, I go to paypal and log into my account and do it from there.

AFCM
05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
It's sad to think that people actually get ripped off doing this. Patrick, your scenario is definately scary because, until you see your bank statement, it all seems legitimate. I never give out information when I'm contacted first, whether by phone or email. We live in a sad world these days.

SpectralMourning
05-16-2007, 01:13 AM
And BTW, don't fall into the same trap I did. Paypal does not send out emails requesting info. I received an email that looked like it was legit and from Paypal. The email said to click on a link to update my credit card info....as it said my account was expiring. Looked like the link was legit. Entered the info. Well, days later, Todd Reagor tells me that emails like that are spam....ends up someone tried to make some purchases with my credit card over in Europe...I got the cal from my credit card company asking me if I'd traveled out of the country. I told them no, and they gave me the info. Closed the account immediately, and had them issue me a new card.

And, I still get these emails, supposedly from service@paypal. I delete them all. If I need to change info on my paypal account, I go to paypal and log into my account and do it from there.

I stayed up 'til 4 in the morning the other night watching MSNBC's Dateline special, "To Catch an I.D. Thief" or something along those lines. Much like the "To Catch an Internet Predator" expose'. Much of it was common sense, but Chris Hansen tracked a Nigerian (Nigerians used to attempt to con me through email constantly) down under the guise of a get-rich-quick investor and a parcel delivery manager. The Nigerian had his bases covered, yet extremely poorly to the point that it was actually entertaining. If anyone ever sees it on television again, I recommend it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-16-2007, 01:56 AM
If you guys want to see what happens when really bored people start to have fun with the "Nigerian" scammers...Go click around the links/galleries at Welcome to the 419 Eater (http://419eater.com), they reply and play the game with the scammers long enough to get pictures out of them holding up signs and whatnot. It's pretty dang funny...And a bit scary to boot. Heck, a few people have managed to get money FROM the scammers on occasion.

kevinpate
05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
I've always been a bit amazed, and saddened, when someone who really should know better would post to a list about getting an email from a bank that really looked all official and how they almost clicked the link provided but decided it might be a trick because after all, they don't even have an account at the bank in question.

Why on earth anyone would bother to even open an email from a financial institution urging protection of their (non-existent) account is something I've never been able to wrap my tired little brain around.

Karried
05-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Much like the "To Catch an Internet Predator" expose'

Yes! That is the special I watched.. what was the name the Nigerians called the rich Americans?

They make them look very authentic.....

Also, Ebay has scammers sending fake emails.. you can forward all emails to Ebay and they will confirm authenticity. Go to the Security Center.. bottom line..

NEVER GIVE OUT SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, PASSWORDS OR ACCOUNT NUMBERS or ANY INFO TO AN EMAIL REQUEST !!

CuatrodeMayo
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I stayed up 'til 4 in the morning the other night watching MSNBC's Dateline special, "To Catch an I.D. Thief" or something along those lines. Much like the "To Catch an Internet Predator" expose'. Much of it was common sense, but Chris Hansen tracked a Nigerian (Nigerians used to attempt to con me through email constantly) down under the guise of a get-rich-quick investor and a parcel delivery manager. The Nigerian had his bases covered, yet extremely poorly to the point that it was actually entertaining. If anyone ever sees it on television again, I recommend it.

Man...I saw that too.

I loved to see them track that guy down and corner him. They seriously pulled out all the stops to track them down. I mean...going to Africa?

AFCM
05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
The "To Catch an I.D. Thief" was just on. There was actually a guy involved in the scam who mentioned the "To Catch a Predator", all while talking to Chris Hansen. It was like watching a football game where you're screaming, "He's open! Are you BLIND". How does Chris go ANYWHERE without being identified?

CuatrodeMayo
05-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Yea...

Hansen Electronics website, C&H Delivery, I mean, really people.

Karried
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Another recent scam is pictures of adorable cute puppies... they will send it to you after you Wire Transfer the money... never, ever use Western Union.

They pull you in with the adorable pics... then they lead you on and ask for a deposit, maybe some more money for shots, delivery etc etc.. and eventually they rob you blind and you have no cute puppy.

AFCM
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the whole wire transfer part should send up flags immediately. I've talked with a lot of bodybuilders who've been scammed trying to buy steroids online. A lot of the sites have customers send wire transfers, and never send the product. First of all, common sense should tell you that you can't just buy steroids online. Secondly, just like the puppy ripoff, sending a wire transfer should be an immediate clue that you're getting scammed. Why not just visit kickme.com (http://www.kickme.com?)

Midtowner
06-03-2007, 07:39 PM
AFCM, never, ever, buy anything online with anything other than a credit card unless you're dealing with a reputable provider, e.g., Cox Communications, OG&E, etc.

Karried
06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Midtowner is right..

Never, Ever, Ever, Never, Ever, Never ..... ha,ha .. okay, I think we all get it. lol

AFCM
06-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I never purchase anything online with anything other than a Credit Card. I was just saying I know some bodybuilders/athletes who have and, subsequently, got ripped off.

Karried
06-04-2007, 07:01 AM
I think Midtowner was teasing us because us because we kept saying never, ever buy anything about a hundred times. :kicking: