View Full Version : CBA return to Oklahoma City??? What are they think'in???

Pages : [1] 2

HOT ROD
05-14-2007, 05:25 PM
It was published today in NewsOK that the CBA will be returning to Oklahoma City as the Cavalry. :ohno:

It appears to be yet another sad attempt for Baron Hopgood to try to capitalize on Oklahoma City's major league market and thirst for the NBA, by offering a minor league product to sooth the city until the NBA arrives (or prohibit them from eventually coming). Early in 2007, NewsOK published that Baron was to bring an ABA franchise to the city - claims which were false, now this "higher league" is dangled and the paper again is running with it.

I, of course, already composed a nice letter to the mayor and other civic officials, informing them about the "story" and expressing my feeling that the city should not allow mediocrity to the city's entertainment options - just as I did during the ABA "announcement." I encourage you all to do the same.

Oklahoma City is the hidden gem of a major market, one which proved itself as major league by successfully hosting the NBA Hornets. OKC is major league, and should not "settle" for any minor league BARRONS to try to get rich off our market. If Baron had an NBA franchise - this would be a different story. But Im sure he's aware of OKC's impending chances of landing an NBA team - and Im sure he would like to come in while the getting is good and get rich before the NBA gets here permanently.

I feel, the CBA would be the wrong message to the NBA and the world, that OKC is impatient and just settling for the CBA would show the city is not major league after all. Especially if they would play in the Ford Center, which the paper indicated would be a potential home, along with the Cox Convention Center and the State Fair Arena.

Honestly, if they were to play in the Norman Lloyd Noble Center - I would be all for it! But I dont think a city as big as OKC with the prominence we've gained in the NBA and major league's eyes - that we should accept second best! I made this point to the civic officials - we should actively pursue the NBA. We are an NBA city, and at least from a basketball prospective - we should not settle for any minor league team.

I also think we are major league with regard to hockey (and football) as well, but I think we should go big time for the NBA since we have the synergy of past and recent events - and not show to the world that OKC is as backward as those rumors have indicated.

I patiently await a response from the city - as soon as I do (and I hope it is in the same tone and content of what they sent me during the ABA "announcement"), I will post here - heeping you all informed.

We are the voice of Oklahoma City and I am so glad that this forum is here. We have improved our city big time - and Im glad to do my part. We can not allow or accept major league teams (especially in basketball) just to "have something".

We need to be like our peer cities in Indy, Denver, and Portland - demand major league and make it happen!!!

------OKLAHOMA CITY, RENAISSANCE CITY-----

:banned2: Minor League Teams (esp Basketball)

thoughts?

Easy180
05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh boy...I can hardly contain my excitement....I'm all for a CBA team to come in...AFTER we land an NBA team

Now that we had a taste of the real deal Holyfield it just won't feel right

HOT ROD
05-14-2007, 05:39 PM
my sentiments as well. The CBA should wait until after we land a NBA team or at least play in a suburb - Norman could surely support the CBA, but the team could still be called Oklahoma City or Oklahoma.

Why doesn't the CBA pursue Tulsa?? Isn't the CBA a step above the NBA-DL?

Easy180
05-14-2007, 05:42 PM
ahh...That is a much better suggestion hot rod

Think it would have a much better chance at success in Tulsa...Already know the CBA wasn't exactly popular here in OKC

I remember some pretty weak crowds at the few I attended

HOT ROD
05-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I think this Barron guy is just trying to come in and get rich off of OKC. He knows OKC is in love with teh NBA and will get a team.

I just hope his CBA team does not interfere with the NBA coming. That is my main concern. Otherwise, he can have the team play in Lloyd Noble - that would be a boon for Norman and the South Metro!!!

Watson410
05-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I heard something about this on the Sports Animal (FM 97.9) a week or two ago. I can guarantee you I WILL NOT be attending these games. I'm sure i could find better things to do around the house than go watch a CBA game. After being spoiled with the NBA for the past 2 years, I WILL NOT settle for second best.... and i greatly encourage OKC to NOT support the CBA.

Patrick
05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I supported the Hornets by attending many games the last two seasons. I WILL NOT support a CBA team. This is a slap in the face to those of us that supported NBA last season. I'd rather have no team, than to have to settle for a CBA team.

And if homeboy Clay Bennett can't bring a team home, I curse him.

PUGalicious
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
And if homeboy Clay Bennett can't bring a team home, I curse him.
Tsk, tsk, Patrick... that's not very Christian of you...

"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." — James 3:10

Patrick
05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Tsk, tsk, Patrick... that's not very Christian of you...
"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." — James 3:10

Romans 3:23: For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Patrick 1:1: May those from the state of Oklahoma that purchase an NBA team, and fail to bring it home, pay the consequences of their actions.

kevinpate
05-14-2007, 08:23 PM
.o(Jesus saves ... Moses gets the rebound, he shoots ... he scores!)Oo.

okclee
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Hopgood is free to do what he wants with his money, and I do believe that he will find out the hard way that the CBA in Okc is a bad financial investment. I predict one horrible season with lousy attendence, and that will be the end of the CBA in Okc.

There is no way that the CBA will stop the NBA from coming to Okc. Also Mayor Mick will not allow this CBA team to play in either the Ford Center or the Cox area.

mranderson
05-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Romans 3:23: For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Patrick 1:1: May those from the state of Oklahoma that purchase an NBA team, and fail to bring it home, pay the consequences of their actions.

The eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not deprive Oklahoma City of the NBA.

dcsooner
05-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Another 2nd rate league trying to make a buck. I urge Oklahoma Citians to soundly REJECT this B,C D, F troop league. NBA basketball in OKC or no professional basketball in OKC. The days are over when Oklahomans were glad to get second rate anything just to have something. Make sure this guy loses big and send message to all the other carnival acts looking for a place to play

Karried
05-15-2007, 07:22 AM
This is where you can leave your comments.. as much as I want to welcome someone showing interest in OK, I don't want themt o get too comfortable in the Ford Center or even the Cox Center.. schedule conflicts etc etc..

I won't support them... I've never even heard of the Continental Basketball Association.

The Calvary? Oh Please.

NewsOK: Cavalry returns to city (http://newsok.com/article/3053924)

jbrown84
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
I really fear this could send a very bad message if this team actually comes to fruition.

Blairman
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Hot Rod

You crack me up with your major league or bust attitude. What are the Redhawks ?? chopped liver ??

What happened to the Wranglers ? hmm left town even before the FOrd Center opened, Wonder why nobody has brought a AFL team to OKC since then ???

Sorry folks but a near max capicity Ford Center does not make OKC major league city. The other key ingredients are the TV markets and corporate dollars. (sidenote: attendance/ticket revenue are slight percentages of a teams income)

While OKC is on the cusp of being a major league city and the city has made great strides in the last 10 yrs. Lets get our corporate side built up and increase our TV market rating before we boost about being a major league city.

I would actually like to see major league baseball or hockey long before a basketball team of any irk.

jbrown84
05-15-2007, 08:12 AM
I fail to see where we are lacking in corporate support, and we can't control the size of our TV market short of just increasing in population. The lines are drawn. Wichita Falls/Lawton and Sherman/Ada take huge chunks out.

Easy180
05-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Well I would actually like to see a NFL or MLB before an NBA team, but that ain't gonna happen

Let's just be blunt though...The Redhawks are chopped liver...Good for a game or two with the family, but they aren't much of an entertainment attraction for most OKC'ers

I don't think we are a major league city in the sense we could support more than one...No way not right now...But we have shown we are capable of supporting one team...Tv market is higher then Nawlins and decent enough if coupled with solid attendance and corporate backing, which OKC has proved it has both

In fact our city and corporate backing is one of the things Stern loves about OKC...Not so much on the tv market, but that can be overcome with time

mranderson
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Hot Rod

You crack me up with your major league or bust attitude. What are the Redhawks ?? chopped liver ??

What happened to the Wranglers ? hmm left town even before the FOrd Center opened, Wonder why nobody has brought a AFL team to OKC since then ???

Sorry folks but a near max capicity Ford Center does not make OKC major league city. The other key ingredients are the TV markets and corporate dollars. (sidenote: attendance/ticket revenue are slight percentages of a teams income)

While OKC is on the cusp of being a major league city and the city has made great strides in the last 10 yrs. Lets get our corporate side built up and increase our TV market rating before we boost about being a major league city.

I would actually like to see major league baseball or hockey long before a basketball team of any irk.

Oklahoma City is not ready for Major League Baseball. The RedHawks are fine for now (except for their affiliation with Texas). The Wrnaglers did not leave town. They were one of four teams folded by the league in a move called contgricion (sp). The league foreclosed on the team because of massive debt in Portland. Oklahoma City was actually a good market for them.

And on the remark about "near capacity." Very few, if any major league teams sell out all of their games. Many sell out a small percentage and still make a profit... In markets that are in direct competition with Oklahoma City.

metro
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
No one posted their comments/reactions besides me to the NewsOK article on their website??

Patrick
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM

That's baseball, not basketball. And the Redhawks are chopped liver. Not the best quality of baseball IMO.

Because we're an NBA town, not an AFL town. And actually our city did support the Wranglers well. It was the debt they brought with them from Portland that led to their demise. The league chose to fold all teams with debt.

And we proved all of that with the Hornets. It was more like 40-50 near max capacity crowds, with many of them being sell outs. And who can forget all of the corporate support our corporations showed.....the best ever in the history of the NBA.

We've already proved our corporate support. No other city in the history of the NBA has shown the corporate support that our corporations did towards the Hornets.

We couldn't support 50K fans a night for 50 games a season for baseball. And we don't even have a facility. We could probably support NHL, but that is uncharted territory. We've already proven we can support NBA long term. We did it for 2 seasons.

HOT ROD
05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Im not sure if Blairman was trying to get a rise out of me or what, but based on the comments/support from others on this forum - it looks like Blairman is the one "out-of-touch with Oklahoma City's major league chances."

For one, I specifically said OKC was major league as far as basketball is concerned, and very arguably - football, yet he brings up "baseball, of all sports - which OKC is content to be AAA and has NEVER thought of moving up on (hence the construction of the 13000 seat ballpark".

Oklahoma City IS a major-league town and a basketball town, with plenty of corporate support and excellent fan base. This was proven already, Blairman must have been sleep or is a resident from Tulsa or Texas.

Although he is entitled to his opinion, I think next time he should base it on facts instead of posting some nonsense just to try to get a rise out of me.

=================

That being said, I did email my contacts at city hall .... ..... .......

HOT ROD
05-16-2007, 07:06 PM
- and they assured me that Oklahoma City's goals to attract a major league NBA franchise HAVE NOT CHANGED! It appears based on the response, that something is probably in the works - but there was no direct statement in that regard. I think we all can assume what this means, especially since a prominent downtown OKC businessman owns a frailing NBA franchise in the city where I live, which my legislature recently failed to even consider an arena here in my local metro area (a major 15-metro and largest city in the U.S. Pacific NorthWest by the way..... wink... wink.....)

OK, enough fun....

The city official (I will respect the official's trust by non naming on this forum, but trust me) assured me that the CBA will not likely enter into a lease at the Ford Center or Cox, and this was almost reflected ver-batum in today's online NewsOK commentary.

The city official assured me that OKC is working to retain it's major league status and that the NBA is the target - and the city will not rest until this is the case.

I think we could rest assured that the city officials are on top of things and that they are aware of those who seek to come in to town and try to get rich off of the city's renaissance! I think we can also be confident that the city officials are in tune with what we - the residents, citizens, expats, and interest OKC fans - want for the city... and this will ensure that OKC will Continue the Renaissance.

I also am now confident that even IF the CBA does come into town, it will have no effect on the NBA (when as soon as an agreement for a NBA franchise comes to fruition, OKC would no longer be lucrative for any other minor league, bball wise).

Oklahoma City, the Renaissance City!!

Kerry
05-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Now that you guys are done with your water ballon fight ...

I think there is only one reason the CBA wants to return OKC. The Cavalry (the US military not the place Jesus died) was the name of OKCs former CBA team. It is a name that I personally like and I think promotes a very good image of OKC. It is a name unique to sports and has a long history in Oklahoma, i.e. Ft Reno and the supply depot for Ft Reno that is now called Bricktown. I suspect the owner of the team wants to come back so when the team from Seattle arrives and is looking for a new name he can cash in by selling the name.

I for one would like OKCs NBA team to be called the Cavalry. I can't think of a better name.

HOT ROD
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
NBA Oklahoma City Cavalry does have a nice ring to it, imagine all of the merchandise that could be created/sold as well. ...

and Kerry, you might have a point - since Cavalry is "home-grown" so to say, it could be something like putting the SuperSonics to rest in Seattle and starting "a new" in Oklahoma City????

I dont know, but I am elated that the city is not selling us short by Settling for the CBA. I am happy that the city is gung-ho for the NBA and is doing everything it can to make it happen, Cavalry or who ever else tries to cash in in-the-mean-time.

jbrown84
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
the place Jesus died)

That would be Calvary.

Kerry
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks jbrown84. I was refering to others in post that were using the word Calvary.

okclee
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
^^The NBA is not in the business of changing names of franchises. If they did they would not select the name Cavalry for Okc, there is a team called Cleveland Cavaliers.

Hot Rod....... I must say that you do a great job as a watchdog for Okc. I always enjoy reading your posts and you have great vision for Okc. Keep up the good work.

HOT ROD
05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
thanks okclee. I enjoy helping out any way I can...

I also agree with you, the Cleveland Cavaliers are also called Cavs, so that pretty much wipes out the thought about OKC Cavs as an NBA moniker.

Patrick
05-16-2007, 08:45 PM
My only problem with going with Cavalry for an NBA team is that Cleveland's team, the Cavaliers, are already known as the cavs.

Kerry
05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
So. Without sounding like Mr Anderson - I said Cavalry. Just because the fans of Cleveland and much of the sports media is intellectually lazy shouldn't impact an OKC team.

Are the Houston Rockets called the Rocks, the Wizards called the Wiz, the Pistons the Pist, or the Heat the He. I suspect the average Cavalier fan doesn't even know what a cavlier is. For some reason the Virginia Cavaliers seem to get the name pronounced correctly so why couldn't the media get the Oklahoma City Cavalry name correct?

I don't think the team will leave Seattle with the name Supersonics. Why would the NBA flinch about a team named after the US Military, especially when we are at war. The named the team in Toronto after a movie character (Jurassic Park).

jbrown84
05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks jbrown84. I was refering to others in post that were using the word Calvary.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that.

Intrepid
05-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I won't support them... I've never even heard of the Continental Basketball Association.

The Calvary? Oh Please.

The original CBA Cavalry were here in OKC from 1990-97 (approximate dates) and actually won the CBA Championship their last season.

HOT ROD
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
So. Without sounding like Mr Anderson - I said Cavalry. Just because the fans of Cleveland and much of the sports media is intellectually lazy shouldn't impact an OKC team.

Are the Houston Rockets called the Rocks, the Wizards called the Wiz, the Pistons the Pist, or the Heat the He. I suspect the average Cavalier fan doesn't even know what a cavlier is. For some reason the Virginia Cavaliers seem to get the name pronounced correctly so why couldn't the media get the Oklahoma City Cavalry name correct?

I don't think the team will leave Seattle with the name Supersonics. Why would the NBA flinch about a team named after the US Military, especially when we are at war. The named the team in Toronto after a movie character (Jurassic Park).

Actually Kerry, it would be a mistake to call Oklahoma City's team Cavalry because of Cleveland.

From the dictionary, a Cavalier would technically be a component of a Cavalry, since a Cavalier is a horseman or knighted soldier and a cavalry consists of horsemen or knighted soldiers. it would be a misnomer since a Cavalry contains Cavaliers.

I think SuperSonics fit OKC just fine, personally - or we can come up with something more fitting; just NOTHING that could be construed as HICK, please!!!!

Let's let the NBA team be the positive BEACON for Oklahoma City that will give people a positive impression of the city, not some hokie pokie crap that everyone already has as their first impression anyways (why reinforce that negative)?

No wranglers, or twisters, or cowboys or indians or hick whatever.

How about Oklahoma City Slickers, or Oklahoma City Barrons, or Oklahoma City SuperSonics.

Kerry
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
From the dictionary, a Cavalier would technically be a component of a Cavalry, since a Cavalier is a horseman or knighted soldier and a cavalry consists of horsemen or knighted soldiers. it would be a misnomer since a Cavalry contains Cavaliers.

I think it's time for you to get a new dictionary. A member of the Cavalry has never been called a Cavalier.

redland
05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
A member of the Cavalry has never been called a Cavalier.

Not sure about that. Dictionary.com gives as one of the definitions of "cavalier" "a horseman, especially a mounted soldier." And a mounted soldier can certainly be associated with the cavalry. I have to admit I was unfamiliar with this usage.

Kerry
05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Where to begin... In the dictionary entry you are citing the reference only existed from 1590 to 1600. Except for rare instances, the term never applied to a member of an organized military regiment. Try looking at Wikipedia to get an idea of what a Cavalier is. Compare Wikipedia to the Cleveland logo and you will see there is no conection to mounted military.

Cavalier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier)

As for individual members of a cavalry, there are esentially four historic English designations:
Cuirassiers, heavy cavalry
Dragoons, originally mounted infantry but later regarded as medium cavalry
Hussars, light cavalry
Lancers or Uhlans, light cavalry armed with lances

History can be so much fun.

redland
05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, Webster's Collegiate also gives the "mounted horseman" definition and says nothing about its being obsolete.
Also in jumping on HotRod you said a member of the cavalry has NEVER been called a cavalier. Now you seem to be saying well yes between 1590 and 1600 they were.
Dictionaries can be so much fun.

Kerry
05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Sorry the tone is coming off as confrontational. I don't mean it to be. For some reason I just find it fun to discuss 500 year old definitions about a basketball team that may - or may not- move to OKC. I've chatted on-line with HotRod for the better part of 6 years and respect him.

I was a little quick on the "never" comment. There was a time during the English Civil War (1642–1651) where some supports of King Charles were actully mounted soldiers that went by the name Cavalier. However, I was thinking of something a little more recent, like the US Cavalry of the 1800s.

okclee
05-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Mr. Anderson , is that you ???

HOT ROD
05-17-2007, 07:57 PM
No worries, and Kerry - I do accept your apology. :)

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
What about the Oklahoma City Outlaws?

imafish
05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Staff Writer
"It's been quite a rough start for Oklahoma's new Continental Basketball Association team.

After announcing that Micheal Ray Richardson, who was banned for life from the NBA and suspended from his last CBA team, would be the Calvary's coach, the team has no place to play.

Officials at Oklahoma City University said that, despite the announcement by the team, there is no arena agreement with the Cavalry. OCU said the school couldn't successfully support both the CBA team, its own athletic programs and student body.

CBA officials, however, claimed OCU backed out of the deal after learning that the troubled Richardson would be the team's coach.

Richardson played eight seasons in the NBA, but was banned by the NBA for life in 1986 after violating the league's anti-drug policy. His NBA rights were restored in 1988, but he failed two more drug tests in 1991.

Richardson again ran into trouble on March 27, when he told reporters in Albany, N.Y., before an Albany Patroons playoff game that he had "big-time lawyers. I've got big-time Jew lawyers." He was suspended by the team owner the next day. But following an investigation, the CBA allowed Richardson to continue coaching with no sanctions.

The CBA said a deal was in place with OCU.

"We had an agreement on Tuesday with OCU,” said CBA president and CEO Ricardo Richardson when contacted by telephone late Thursday night. "We had the dates and everything set to play there. And the response they gave us was that they didn't want to move forward because of the (past) of Micheal Ray Richardson.”

When asked Thursday night, Jim Abbott, OCU's athletic director, maintained that the school made the decision because of the students and not the coach.

Abbott said the 3,500-seat Abe Lemons Arena has been under a crunch since the school added volleyball and men's wrestling last year. A women's wrestling program begins the next school year. Abbott said the facility couldn't support the Calvary's 28 home-game schedule without having its students suffer.

Abbott went said OCU officials notified the Cavalry at 2 p.m. Wednesday, before they knew Micheal Ray Richardson would be the coach, that they wouldn't be able to accommodate them.

"I'm absolutely convinced that they're great guys and great businessmen and that the Cavalry is going to be a success in town,” Abbott said. "We had been talking to them for awhile, and we really wanted to try to accommodate them, but ultimately, our students come first at OCU.”

Cavalry majority owner Baron Hopgood said Thursday that Richardson's past is partly what led him to choose Richardson over other candidates such as former NBA players Darryl Dawkins, Johnny Newman and former Oklahoma State star John Starks.

"We felt that Micheal Ray Richardson would be great because of what he went through and dealt with in the league,” Hopgood said. "Being suspended from the league and coming back and being suspended again and coming back, he has the voice of the community because he understands what hardship is. He understands how to come back and rebound, and that is our main focus.”

CBA officials also claimed Thursday night that Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett has attempted to block the efforts of the Cavalry from returning to Oklahoma City after a 10-year hiatus. The CBA official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Cornett is preventing the league from returning in an attempt to keep hope alive for the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics or another team to relocate here.

Calls to Cornett on Thursday night were unsuccessful, but OCU is a private institution and Cornett doesn't have any authority of the school. The Cavalry did, however, attempt to reach deals with the Ford Center, Cox Convention Center and State Fair Arena, all public properties and all avenues that led to a dead end.

Cornett was quoted in The Oklahoman in Wednesday's editions as saying: "I think a CBA franchise is a step backward for the city. It's not in the city's best interest. It's unnecessary, and I'm not encouraging it.”

Meanwhile, Ricardo Richardson, the CBA's president and CEO, said the Cavalry will continue to search for a suitable home arena for the upcoming season and won't pull the plug on bringing a team to Oklahoma City.

"We've got to discuss some things with the ownership group and see where we go from here, because we're baffled by the resistance that the team has received from Oklahoma City, from all the venues,” Ricardo Richardson said.

"Obviously we have a commitment. The team has secured the franchise fee. They've invested a significant amount of dollars, entering into a lease agreement with offices downtown. We want to work something out. We're committed to Oklahoma and want to be successful in this city.”

Kerry
05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I doubt this team will ever dribble a basketball in OKC.

Easy180
05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Cornett was quoted in The Oklahoman in Wednesday's editions as saying: "I think a CBA franchise is a step backward for the city. It's not in the city's best interest. It's unnecessary, and I'm not encouraging it

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Patrick
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
They'll end up playing on someone's back yard.

mranderson
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
They'll end up playing on someone's back yard.

They will probably play. However, when the NBA comes to Ford permanantly, unless the CBA season is different than the NBA, the Cavalry will either fold or move... I bet either to Lawton or someplace north of Oklahoma City.

jbrown84
05-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Where do you suppose they'll play, mra?

High schools have the same conflicts as OCU.

Patrick
05-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't be surprised if they move to Lawton. LOL!

SpectralMourning
05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Lawton would be a great place to play for the team. It'd give the troops and their families something to do while out there. I would say that they could name them in honor of the Apaches, but I think the AIM and ACLU may have something to say about it. That or they could name them after artillery... Paladins?

metro
05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
No, Lawton is getting the ABA this season, remember. I bet if they even play, they fold or move after one year. Perhaps Enid or Ardmore maybe. I'm glad Mick was quoted with his stance.

mranderson
05-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Lawton would be a great place to play for the team. It'd give the troops and their families something to do while out there. I would say that they could name them in honor of the Apaches, but I think the AIM and ACLU may have something to say about it. That or they could name them after artillery... Paladins?

They could call them the Lawton Cavalry... Afterall, part of the Army was the Cavalry.

andy157
05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
They could call them the Lawton Cavalry... Afterall, part of the Army was the Cavalry.That makes perfect sense. Excellant idea

SpectralMourning
05-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I know that, but I just figured something that would hit home for the Soldiers there today, though the fort was built as a cav outpost...

metro
05-26-2007, 09:16 AM
But again, I raise the question, why would they move to Lawton, when Lawton is getting the ABA this year?? It doesn't make sense and wouldn't be viable with two teams. I bet if anything, Enid would get them.

Patrick
05-26-2007, 09:33 AM
No, Lawton is getting the ABA this season, remember. I bet if they even play, they fold or move after one year. Perhaps Enid or Ardmore maybe. I'm glad Mick was quoted with his stance.

Does Enid no longer have the Storm? I know they did pretty well in Enid.

mranderson
05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
"No, Lawton is getting the ABA this season, remember. I bet if they even play, they fold or move after one year. Perhaps Enid or Ardmore maybe. I'm glad Mick was quoted with his stance."

True. However if their franchise does not do well, that could set the stage for the Cavalry to move. Lawton, as the third largest city, is the logical choice. The Sonics could use them as a AA team affiliate.

"Does Enid no longer have the Storm? I know they did pretty well in Enid."

I think the league folded.

JWil
05-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Wichita would be a great place for the CBA.

As far as names... the NBA has a LONG history of teams NOT changing names. I made up a list once and I'll post it later.

Anyway, if we did have a chance to name a team something, I'd suggest OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDERBIRDS. Why? Because of the strong military heritage (45th, Tinker) and Indian traditions (Thunderbirds are big in various tribes), I think it would be a sensible, non-hickish name. Make the colors red/yellow after the 45th or silver/blue after the Air Force dress blues design.

That's just me, however. But the "Oklahoma City Sonics" would be fine, and you could re-image the team with a plane or something and tie in the military and get the same result. I just think "Thunderbirds" would be cool.

Patrick
05-26-2007, 03:17 PM
How about this for the team logo?

http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/45th_infantry_insignia_28thunderbird29.png

jbrown84
05-26-2007, 03:33 PM
I still like "Outlaws". It has a western theme without being hickish or overused, and doesn't really enforce negative stereotypes.