View Full Version : North canal needs work

Patrick
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
My wife and I went down to Bricktown last night, as we were staying at the Skirvin Hotel. We decided to take a walk along the canal, and eat at Falcones. See the Falcones thread for my review.

Lower Bricktown actually looked pretty nice. The grounds were well kept and the flower beds were fool.

But, I must say, we had a completely different experience on the north canal. The flower beds looked like they needs work. One was actually full of weeds.....tons of oak trees sprouting up.

Also, the businesses along the north canal, with the esception of Zios and Bourbon Street Cafe, really look trashy. The canal level of Chelinos is littered with broken tables, busted chairs, and broken pots and vases. To me, it looked like Chelinos trash dump. They really need to do some work. Also, the Miller Jackson Building at the canal level, below Hooters, looks really trashy. Get this....they have greenery with Christmas lights stretched along their railing. It looked horrible.

And, I hate to tick off our fellow member Dungeon Master, but the outside of his Dungeon Ride really looks cheesy. He has Christmas lights hanging up, that look way out of place. The blow up dragon out front was fine, but the place looked trashy.

Also, the canal level, below Zios still looks horrible. No landscaping. Just dirt...very unsightly. It's been that way since the canal opened, and I thought the owners of that building would do something below at the canal level, but it still looks bad.

And the Oklahoma Hardware Building at the canal level, below Al's restaurant, still is unfinished, and has mounds of dirt out in front of it.
Same with the building between it and Chelinos.....dirt piles and trash.
The owners of those buildings need to do something with them at the canal level, because currently they look trashy.

And can we please take the Margarita Mammas sign down now? And how about the Club Rio sign? Those places have been closed for years now.

Patrick
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but Randy Hogan's properties in Lower Bricktown are currently better kept than properties on the north canal.

SWOKC 4 me
05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I mentioned some of this in another post but I walked by Chelino's a few days ago and my wife and I had the same conversation about it looking trashy.

I think there are probably a lot of businesses that would "kill" for this location with the possibility of waterside tables, but Chelino's doesn't seem to see the need to use the space. From what I can see this is the only spot on the canal with waterside seating possibilities (at least for the existing restaurants). The others such ad Bourbon Street Cafe have great outdoor seating but are unable to put tables next to the water because there is no room. It is truly a shame that Chelino's prime location next to the canal goes unused most of the time.

As for the green lights strung along the fence, I have to agree quite trashy looking! I hope someone will clean up north Bricktown and I wish that Chelinos would take a little more pride in outdoor dining area of their restaurant.

Patrick
05-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, one thing....the canal level is the basement of Chelinos, and their main seating on the canal is actually at the street level.

I wouldn't mind them not having seating at canal level if they'd just clean up the trash down there.

BDP
05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I 100% agree. My wife and I have walked the canal level of the north canal several times and are always amazed by the amount of neglect and laziness that characterizes it. I always find it funny that these developers bitch so much, yet do absolutely nothing to improve the situation.

Patrick
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I think if the building owners would clean up a little, it would look better. And some of the business on the canal look pretty unprofessional, especially those on the canal level in the Miller Jackson Building.

Also, the Bricktown Dungeon Ride would look better if they just had the blow-up dragon out front, and took down the trashy looking Christmas lights.

Like I said, there are still signs up for businesses that aren't efven in existence anymore.

And I'd say the most unsightly properties are those with dirt out in front of them...the Oklahoma Hardware Building at canal level, and the building to the west of it that's all boarded up. And the empty dirt lot under Zios.....they could at least landscape that.

Also, one more thing. The Biting Sow, or whatever they call that now, needs to remove their deck. They haven't used that in years. It would look better with landscaping in place of it.