Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Pets and People Yukon

  1. #1
    labrat3 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Total Posts
    28

    Default Pets and People Yukon

    Has anyone had bad experiences with those folks over there with rudeness and the uncleanliness of the establishment.

  2. #2
    BBatesokc's Avatar
    BBatesokc is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Total Posts
    4,843

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by labrat3 View Post
    Has anyone had bad experiences with those folks over there with rudeness and the uncleanliness of the establishment.
    That's were we've adopted two dogs in the past. We went to their facility in Yukon once. Didn't really have high expectations, but it wasn't any better or worse than the city shelter off SE 29th - smelled like dog and such, but based on the limited funds and volunteers, I didn't really care - I was there to save a pooch not make friends with the staff.

  3. #3
    Mel's Avatar
    Mel
    Mel is offline The poster formerly known as cleanskull
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Total Posts
    1,352

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    They do the best they can with what they have. They are a no kill shelter and thats whats most important. I have volunteered my time there on occasion. They are overwhelmed and you might have caught them on a bad day.

  4. #4
    labrat3 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Total Posts
    28

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Seems like that's most days

  5. #5
    labrat3 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Total Posts
    28

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Seems like that's most days, and the no kill excuse is getting old for treating people like crap. So do something about your people's personnel skills.
    Plutonic Panda likes this.

  6. #6
    BBatesokc's Avatar
    BBatesokc is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Total Posts
    4,843

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Hard to really react to your comment when you gave zero details. Was this a one and only visit? Exactly what did the volunteers driven to help save animals do to you that was so abhorrent?

    Could it have been just a bad day for someone (including yourself) or do you visit there regularly and this is the normal attitude in your opinion (and if so, have you shared your concerns with people who can actually take action - as opposed to anonymously on this forum).

  7. #7
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Hard to really react to your comment when you gave zero details. Was this a one and only visit? Exactly what did the volunteers driven to help save animals do to you that was so abhorrent?

    Could it have been just a bad day for someone (including yourself) or do you visit there regularly and this is the normal attitude in your opinion (and if so, have you shared your concerns with people who can actually take action - as opposed to anonymously on this forum).
    I agree with you on the first part, getting all the details before jumping to a conclusion(something I do a lot :/). This is discussion forum though for people to voice their concerns and opinions. I really don't see the problem with letting off some steam on here or any other discussion website.

  8. #8
    Dubya61 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Total Posts
    2,937

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    My wife works in rescue (not this one). She tells me all about the stupid people out there who ... fill in the blank, just like I do about the things I do. She also tells me the good stories. My impression of people who work in rescue (and of course, my wife is exempted from the bad things I say about them) is that they are working from a position of moral superiority. They are working and sacrificing day and night (or at least as they see it) to save lives and sometimes something happens that doesn't jive with that. If they're smart (like my wife) they hold their tongue until they go home and vent to their spouse. Not everybody does that, though. Maybe the innocent question that the non-rescue worker asked was worded so that the rescue worker feels all their work to save lives is for nothing. That miscommunication sometimes elicits a negative response -- and ALWAYS merits a venting session at home. I've only had minimal incidental interaction with Pets and People in Yukon. I don't know what they did that gave you a bad impression of them. I can respect their actions and intent (even if it comes across as rude) since they are working to curb the stray animal population in a state that has the second highest incidence of puppy mills. Give 'em a break on this one. Their mission is good and they get their hearts broken almost every day. On their behalf, let me apologize to you. If there's something they can make right, let me know in a PM and I'll try to get in touch with them.
    Mel likes this.

  9. #9
    Pete's Avatar
    Pete is offline Owner / Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Total Posts
    19,208

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    I would add that I believe this shelter has a pretty stringent screening process for prospective adopters and I know one of my sisters was all offended because they wanted to do a home visit and asked a bunch of personal questions.

    She would probably describe that behavior as rude but being a dog and cat breeder myself and having turned away a bunch of interested families, I would regard their behavior in that particular situation as responsible.

    Not saying that's what happened here, but I know I've pissed people off when I told them their home/situation was not a good fit for one of my animals, and frankly I don't care if they thought me rude. My biggest responsibility is always to the dog or cat who is completely at the mercy of their new owners.
    Dubya61 and acumpton like this.

  10. #10
    BBatesokc's Avatar
    BBatesokc is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Total Posts
    4,843

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree with you on the first part, getting all the details before jumping to a conclusion(something I do a lot :/). This is discussion forum though for people to voice their concerns and opinions. I really don't see the problem with letting off some steam on here or any other discussion website.
    Oh, I don't see a problem with it either. Just wondering what the expectation for change was if this is the only place they are complaining - and not providing any basis for the complaint.

    People should keep in mind, not only do people 'vent' on forums, but those same forums also serve as first impressions for people otherwise unfamiliar with a company, person, etc.
    Plutonic Panda likes this.

  11. #11
    OKCTalker is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Total Posts
    1,700

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Labrat - I'm sure that they'd love to have you as a volunteer. As the saying goes, quit cursing the darkness and go light a candle. Go make a difference.

    Running a shelter is tough - they don't make a city safer, serve the public's needs any better, or make things look nicer, so they work with tiny budgets. Shelters are typically staffed by volunteers who are overseen by a city staffer who may have other duties in his/her job description. Volunteers work there because they love animals, yet they care for animals that are neglected, abandoned and/or abused, until their time is up, when the needle goes in and another dead dog or cat goes out (unless it's a no-kill shelter, of course).

    They'd love your time and energy. Let us know how it works out.

  12. #12
    FritterGirl is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Total Posts
    1,723

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    We've adopted two animals from Pets and People, and had wonderful experiences each time. The shelter, each time we visited (and we visited several times before we found the right pets for our household), was clean, well-attended and well-staffed. I don't recall exactly how personable the volunteers were, but certainly personable enough for us to consider adopting from there. They also followed through beautifully after our adoption to ensure our pets were well adjusted to their new home.

    Being in animal rescue is tough work. Some people may snipe, some policies may be difficult for certain potential adopters to swallow, but the rescue groups are trying to do what is in the best interest of the animal. They see too many adopted animals returned to them - or worse - dumped on the side of a road or taken to a kill shelter - simply because an adoptive family either decided the animal was too much work/trouble/cost too much, or they just didn't care. It is one of the many reasons why from time to time they may be a bit surly if a potential adopter doesn't meet their criteria. (You've still not given us details of the experience, so this is just conjecture here).

  13. #13
    duckman is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Total Posts
    102

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    I volunteered there for a great many years and they are some of the rudest, most hateful people imaginable. I eventually realized there was no way I would be able to make any type of difference there.

  14. #14
    jn1780 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Total Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by duckman View Post
    I volunteered there for a great many years and they are some of the rudest, most hateful people imaginable. I eventually realized there was no way I would be able to make any type of difference there.
    Have you volunteered at other shelters?

    Is it the leadership at Pets and People that are rude? I know people that are passionate about animals can sometimes have a hard time dealing with people.

  15. #15
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    You know, come to think of it, I recall someone telling me they had a nightmare of an experience dealing with, I believe this animal shelter in Yukon. I was told they were questioned on their appearance whether or not they would be able to take care of the animal they were looking to adopt. Now I might come under fire for this, but, I always go to either puppy mills or small time breeders for my dogs. I always have purebreds and I have enjoyed (almost )every second of my dogs. So I have never dealt with an animal shelter and wouldn't know what to expect from them. Although I can understand the volunteers coming off as suspicious just handing away a dog they have probably cared a great deal for, some of which could have came from cruel owners.

    However, I think it is always important to maintain professionalism when doing any kind of work. Better said, if I was the manager and my volunteers were treating people like crap, they wouldn't be "volunteering" there much longer. Assuming they actually were rude and the people who claimed they were weren't just being overly sensitive.

  16. #16
    boscorama is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Total Posts
    825

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    I've had two dealings with Pets & People over time. On the second occasion I found the head honcho woman irritating as all get-out, just a personality problem I suppose. I get what Dubya said about moral superiority though. I see it in rescue groups that set up in PetsMart. But at the end of the day, they're in it for the animals and we're grateful someone loves the critters more than the folks who bring them into the world just to set them free.

    Now I'd like to say the Edmond Animal Welfare shelter is fabulous. The staff takes reasonable precautions to ensure the pets aren't misplaced. The shelter is very clean and organized. Volunteers regularly walk the dogs; they're the ones I really want to praise here. They were so happy for me and my newest adoptee.

    Plutonic, your lack of political correctness is almost refreshing but please consider dropping support of puppy mills. Yes, those dogs need homes too, but the people behind them don't give a sheet about the scores of homeless dogs, as long as they can get $$ out of you. Most of my shelter dogs are purebreds, but I have one large useless mutt, abandoned as a tiny pup, who has so many shelter look-alikes, we ended up keeping him coz we figured he'd never get out of a shelter alive.

    Geez, just check out dog classifieds and tell me why you think we need more litters of labradoodles, morkies, and so forth. (this statement is for people who want to breed their pets, just because)
    Plutonic Panda likes this.

  17. #17
    jn1780 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Total Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Plutonic, your lack of political correctness is almost refreshing but please consider dropping support of puppy mills. Yes, those dogs need homes too, but the people behind them don't give a sheet about the scores of homeless dogs, as long as they can get $$ out of you. Most of my shelter dogs are purebreds, but I have one large useless mutt, abandoned as a tiny pup, who has so many shelter look-alikes, we ended up keeping him coz we figured he'd never get out of a shelter alive.
    Poor misunderstood mutt. lol

  18. #18
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    I've had two dealings with Pets & People over time. On the second occasion I found the head honcho woman irritating as all get-out, just a personality problem I suppose. I get what Dubya said about moral superiority though. I see it in rescue groups that set up in PetsMart. But at the end of the day, they're in it for the animals and we're grateful someone loves the critters more than the folks who bring them into the world just to set them free.

    Now I'd like to say the Edmond Animal Welfare shelter is fabulous. The staff takes reasonable precautions to ensure the pets aren't misplaced. The shelter is very clean and organized. Volunteers regularly walk the dogs; they're the ones I really want to praise here. They were so happy for me and my newest adoptee.

    Plutonic, your lack of political correctness is almost refreshing but please consider dropping support of puppy mills. Yes, those dogs need homes too, but the people behind them don't give a sheet about the scores of homeless dogs, as long as they can get $$ out of you. Most of my shelter dogs are purebreds, but I have one large useless mutt, abandoned as a tiny pup, who has so many shelter look-alikes, we ended up keeping him coz we figured he'd never get out of a shelter alive.

    Geez, just check out dog classifieds and tell me why you think we need more litters of labradoodles, morkies, and so forth. (this statement is for people who want to breed their pets, just because)
    I agree there are too many litters and pups out there. However, I never said I think we need more litters. I actually only purchased from a puppy mill once and was my first time when I bought my Labrador Amber and she has been a wonderful dog. I appreciate what you do and I'm sure it means more to the people that come buy dogs from you.

    I just think there is something special(a tradition) for most people including me when you take your kids to someones house whom has bred puppies(whether it be for fun once or someone who does it once a year) and you have kids pick out their favorite puppy and you take him/her home. It is just an experience that I don't think can be matched going to an animal shelter. I have nothing against animal shelters and I'm sure what I just said could be "vice versa" for some. But, I prefer young pups(2-4 weeks) that can grow on you and build on it's masters personality. Again though, I really do appreciate your services to our community.

  19. #19
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Poor misunderstood mutt. lol

  20. #20
    jn1780 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Total Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Haha, I just found it funny this dog's life was saved by the owner who called him useless.
    Plutonic Panda likes this.

  21. #21
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Haha, I just found it funny this dog's life was saved by the owner who called him useless.
    Aha, yeah that is kind of ironic. lol

  22. #22
    boscorama is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Total Posts
    825

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    The dog I referred to as useless has a reputation for killing nearby livestock. We had to make him an indoor dog, which he loves, and feed him enough that he doesn't feel hungry when he goes outside. He can jump any fence, actually, he leaps like a deer. Chaining him would be an option but none of us can live that way. He walked into a trap set by neighbors whose sheep were being slaghtered. Get the picture?

    What we have now is a large, over-fed loveable yellow dog who stays inside except for potty breaks. Wanna adopt him?

  23. #23
    Plutonic Panda's Avatar
    Plutonic Panda is online now Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Total Posts
    8,315

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    The dog I referred to as useless has a reputation for killing nearby livestock. We had to make him an indoor dog, which he loves, and feed him enough that he doesn't feel hungry when he goes outside. He can jump any fence, actually, he leaps like a deer. Chaining him would be an option but none of us can live that way. He walked into a trap set by neighbors whose sheep were being slaghtered. Get the picture?

    What we have now is a large, over-fed loveable yellow dog who stays inside except for potty breaks. Wanna adopt him?
    I might think about it. I need to get another pal for mah dog Amber. She's all alone.

  24. #24
    labrat3 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Total Posts
    28

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    BBatesokc- I don't necessarily owe you an explanation, I was merely asking a question. I was returning a dog and got treated outrageously rude and judging by other reviews online this shelter seem to have a problem. They also store their animals in the restrooms because there is no room and the cleanliness of the place is lacking compared to all no kill shelters I have been to around the metro. I'm not there to make friends there either, but I do expect a modicum of mutual respect. Your snarky superior attitude is exactly the kinda of thing I got from them. Yes I know there job is hard and they are volunteers, but if they are gonna be treating people like that they don't need to be there. If they can't take care of their animals better then the place doesn't need to be in operation. This dog I returned 6 months ago, she is still there, so that should tell you how unmanageable she was. she was literally eating the drywall off our walls. I could give you more details but you judge businesses on this site all the time and don't necessarily give out much details. So whats your problem?

  25. #25
    labrat3 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Total Posts
    28

    Default Re: Pets and People Yukon

    BBatesokc- I don't neccesarilarly owe you an explanation, I was mearly asking a question. I was returning a dog and got treated outrariously rude and judging by other reviews online this shelter seeme to have a problem. They also store thier animals in the restrooms because there is no room and the cleanlinuos of the place is lacking compared to all no kill shelters I have been to around the metro. I'm not there to make friends there either, but I do expect a modicum of mutual respect. Your snarky superior attitude is exactly the kinda of thing I got from them. Yes I know there job is hard and they are volunteers, but if they are gonna be treating people like that they don't need to be there. If they can't take care of their animals better then the place doesn't need to be in operation. This dog I returned 6 months ago, she is still there, so that should tell you how unmanagable she was. she was literally eating the drywall off our walls. I could give you more details but you judge businesses on this site all the time and don't neccesarly give out much details. So whats your problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Unusual Pets
    By silvergrove in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
  2. Tag your Pets
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 08:01 AM
  3. Traveling with pets
    By mranderson in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
  4. NEW Pets Forum
    By Todd in forum Announcements & Help Desk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 07:44 PM
  5. Pets
    By mranderson in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 05:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1