|
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Built in 1921;hHome to Stockyards Mercantile and Cattlemen's Rooms

1/6/14: $600K building permit
    1/6/14: Design application
    Exterior renovation of existing structure, removal of addition, removal of arcade in front and removal of awnings. Removal of interior second floor
    Links

Stockyards City
    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew.jpg 
Views:	961 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	5789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew4.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	6597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew3.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	6598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew2.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	6599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	6600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312sagnew5.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	7938  

Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

We haven't given the Stockyards much love, but it's a vibrant little district with a lot of merchants and a few restaurants.

This project will be a $600,000 renovation and it sounds like they are going to remove the second floor and make it a big, open space. $600K is a lot of money for a building permit.

Much more on Stockyards City (as they call it) here: Stockyards City Main Street

The majority of the UMB bank just north and west of this could be torn down because it doesn't serve much use. The drive-thru teller line is more of a toll booth set up than a typical drive thru teller set up. There is an underground walkway from the main bank under the lanes and then the employee has to take a spiral staircase up to their three by five booth. The area above the drive thru used to be conference rooms and higher up's offices. The building used to be the main Oklahoma operations center until the consolidated all operation to Kansas City. Now, the entire upper floor is virtually unused save for a break room and two out of 15 offices. It's pretty creepy at night or at least it was ten years ago.

It's a cool old structure built in 1921 and right across the street from Cattleman's Cafe:

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The majority of the UMB bank just north and west of this could be torn down because it doesn't serve much use. The drive-thru teller line is more of a toll booth set up than a typical drive thru teller set up. There is an underground walkway from the main bank under the lanes and then the employee has to take a spiral staircase up to their three by five booth. The area above the drive thru used to be conference rooms and higher up's offices. The building used to be the main Oklahoma operations center until the consolidated all operation to Kansas City. Now, the entire upper floor is virtually unused save for a break room and two out of 15 offices. It's pretty creepy at night or at least it was ten years ago.

All of the old drive thru has been closed for 3-4 years now. And a new drive thru was built to replace the existing. There is a ton of land in and around that area and the land is relatively cheap in comparison to surrounding areas. It would be a great place to have a large honky tonk like Billy Bobs in Ft. worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    All of the old drive thru has been closed for 3-4 years now. And a new drive thru was built to replace the existing. There is a ton of land in and around that area and the land is relatively cheap in comparison to surrounding areas. It would be a great place to have a large honky tonk like Billy Bobs in Ft. worth.
    Huh, I didn't know that. It seems like that whole area west of the main structure could be torn down if it isn't used any more. When I was there, it was just storage.

Stockyards City is awesome. They recently hired a Main Street staffer a while ago so they must have some organizational capacity and thus decent momentum.

8. Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Stockyards City is awesome. They recently hired a Main Street staffer a while ago so they must have some organizational capacity and thus decent momentum.
    I'd love it if they would do a once-monthly event ala Live on the Plaza, Premier, and First Friday at the Paseo.

Yeah maybe that could spur some more street life.

10. Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

boom.

The district really has so much potential as it offers something truly unique to this part of the country.

But I'm embarrassed to say, I've never even been to Stockyards City and it doesn't seem to promote itself very well.

Recently? They've been a Main Street program, with a staff person and sometimes an intern, for quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The district really has so much potential as it offers something truly unique to this part of the country.

But I'm embarrassed to say, I've never even been to Stockyards City and it doesn't seem to promote itself very well.
    A lot of positive promotion ended when Erin resigned as the District/Main Street Director to do other things. She really pushed some new events.

The area is ripe for more tourist, and local, growth. Unfortunately, the surrounding neighborhood is one of the poorest in the city. I did some property value analysis ($/sqft) in Planning and found that the single-family homes in the area have some of the lowest overall value in the City.

And finally, Pete, do you know who owns this building and who is undertaking the renovation? (I may or may not know the answer. )

This are could really benefit from being so close to the river; after all, the Downtown Airpark is only a mile to the west and the freeway is a mile the other direction.

Yet another district that could come to life and really turn things around with the proper leadership.

On the application, it shows Barney Brown as the owner and the designer is Smith Design.

Urbanized and cafe: Not sure on my own recognizance how long they've been a Main Street but I remember Steve doing a write-up on the new hire right before I left. When did Erin leave?

Blog Entries

Imagine this area full of honkey tonks, Saturday night rodeo, and move the Oklahoma Opry down here. It is time this city really embrace its country roots and make it a fun destination area. It can have a real country urban future. Country is not my cup of tea, but this could be a great area and lots of fun.

The Oklahoma Opry is a landmark in Capitol Hill

19. Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

Oklahoma Opry moved to the Stockyards a couple of years ago.

20. Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

Yeah, the district has so much potential. In many ways it has limped along. It has been a Main Street for maybe 20 years. I know that when the City was assisting the Automobile Alley Main Street Program with funding they were very anxious for AA to find its own funding source. AAMSP's City assistance came from the Murrah District Revitalization Fund, which was a finite pool. And while the City was happy with much of the progress in Stockyards, they also had to keep paying the Stockyard Main Street's matching dollars out of the City of OKC's general fund, and they couldn't find a way to get them off of the dole. They didn't want AAMSP to end up the same way, which was a major part of the impetus to get the original downtown BID and the creation of DOKC done.

IIRC, Stockyards finally passed their own BID a few years ago..? Either way, the potential is DEFINITELY there. It is an often-overlooked asset, perhaps because locals perceive it to be too touristy or kitchy. It's really not too much of either, though attracting more tourists while increasing appeal for locals would surely not be a bad thing.

21. Default Re: 1312 S. Agnew

The Oklahoma Opry is a landmark in Capitol Hill
    It's been an empty building for awhile now.

With the the huge improvements to the Fairgrounds mainly around horse and livestock shows and the two only being a mile or two apart, it seems like Stockyards City has tons of potential just from that.

And, there are now five or six large, new hotels on 15th & Meridian, which is an easy, straight two-mile shot.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Oklahoma Opry moved to the Stockyards a couple of years ago.
    Its called the Rodeo Opry and its across the street North of Langstons western wear. Randy Earhart was a past Chairman which also owns Part of Taco Mayo. They pack the house every saturday night and the only restaurant that reaps the benefits is Cattleman's. The stockyards cafe is also always packed throughout breakfast and lunch, I am really surprised that nothing else has attempted other than the High noon Saloon which was always packed and it was a shock when they closed. Now Cattlemens uses the old building as a annex and party room. Something as simple as a Coney Island just open for lunch would dominate….

Stockyards City is one of OKC's most unique districts being that it has maintained that country/old west feel. It tends to get overlooked, but it as well as Capitol Hill will both be part of OKC's future urban fabric.

Erin left about 18 months ago...

Yes, Stockyards City has a BID now too. I think it's on its 5th year? They already had to do the 2nd assessment, which I believe happens every 2nd or 3rd year, can't recall.

One of our favorite taco places is in the area, so Cattleman's isn't the only one that benefits.

If I recall correctly, this building used to have a hotel on top... very recently in fact. One of those rent-by-the-hour type places.

Thread Information