Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OU Boathouse

Default Re: OU adding women's rowing; building $4 million boathouse on OK River

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I said that in regards to the idea of OSU having one that they would only use when they competing in OKC.
    Oh yah, sorry about that mistake.

UCO said they were going to build a boathouse at Arcadia but I think they will better situated on the river which is pretty much dedicated to rowing and they won't have to compete with skiiers, fishermen, jet skis, etc. I could see UCO changing their minds on their proposed boathouse location soon.

Default Re: Boathouse Row

Quote Originally Posted by Decious View Post
    Sounds like OU may have had a change of heart regarding building their boathouse downtown.

OU Regents To Mull Radar Equipment, Rowing Center - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
    I had seen a another story from either OU's student paper or Norman's paper in the last week or two that this was expected to be a line item waiting to be passed.

Why would they try and build their own facility, when a literally world class Olympic training facility is such a short distance away?
    Since it saves a forty minute round trip either on a day they are not on the water or are doing gym sessions in the evening when they did water pieces in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    What a dumb decision.
    OU is still also building a boathouse ..

Sounds like OU may have had a change of heart regarding building their boathouse downtown.

OU Regents To Mull Radar Equipment, Rowing Center - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
    I do not see where they said they were not building a boathouse in this article.

5. Default Re: Boathouse Row

OCU has had an on/near campus rowing facility for years. That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning. Much of their training happens off of the water, and it especially makes sense for OU, as otherwise their rowers would have to make a 40+ minute round trip every day just to use ergs. They could combine with another workout facility on campus, but rowing training is very specialized and they aren't going to want non-rowers using their equipment, etc.

Building an on-campus training facility for their rowing teams shows MORE commitment to rowing by the university, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning.
    Imagine how little of a pain that would be if we had rail transportation!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Imagine how little of a pain that would be if we had rail transportation!
    OU provides a charter bus for the athletes to come out and back

OCU has had an on/near campus rowing facility for years. That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning. Much of their training happens off of the water, and it especially makes sense for OU, as otherwise their rowers would have to make a 40+ minute round trip every day just to use ergs. They could combine with another workout facility on campus, but rowing training is very specialized and they aren't going to want non-rowers using their equipment, etc.
    They have ergs on campus now, it is just in a temporary facility. At one point it was part of the stadium but not sure if it stayed their, I think they have been using the track and field gym for weigts

OU will be building an on campus rowing facility that will be located just south of the rugby facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    void my comment then, lol.

10. Default Re: Boathouse Row

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I do not see where they said they were not building a boathouse in this article.
    Right. That's why I said maybe. Was an inference. Hopefully incorrect. Just sharing the article. I hope they still build it. I just wonder whether or not they will build two facilities that duplicate several functions when they are already successfully leasing and using space on the river. IF money and fund allocation is one of the "hold ups" in terms of executing the building of their OK River boathouse... it makes me a lil skeptical when I hear that they are building a mirroring facility... on campus... before they go ahead with construction of a somewhat functionally redundant facility that they announced half a decade ago. Hope they build it. Boulder seems to believe that the plans are still on track. Hopefully he's correct. Peace.

I highly doubt they pack their row boats on top of the charter bus when they come up. The facility will probably still be built. They could have done us all a favor and mentioned it in the article just to ease any worries.

Right. That's why I said maybe. Was an inference. Hopefully incorrect. Just sharing the article. I hope they still build it. I just wonder whether or not they will build two facilities that duplicate several functions when they are already successfully leasing and using space on the river. IF money and fund allocation is one of the "hold ups" in terms of executing the building of their OK River boathouse... it makes me a lil skeptical when I hear that they are building a mirroring facility... on campus... before they go ahead with construction of a somewhat functionally redundant facility that they announced half a decade ago. Hope they build it. Boulder seems to believe that the plans are still on track. Hopefully he's correct. Peace.
    it is incorrect .... both facilities are still on the capital plan as partially / fully funded

13. Default Re: Boathouse Row

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

They have ergs on campus now, it is just in a temporary facility. At one point it was part of the stadium but not sure if it stayed their, I think they have been using the track and field gym for weigts
    They moved around a lot while I was at OCU. First they were in the gym, then they moved to an old dance studio in the student union. I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but I wouldn't call what they had, a "training facility" as much as a place to shove some rowing machines. Of course at that time, they practiced at Overhoulser, not the river.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    They moved around a lot while I was at OCU. First they were in the gym, then they moved to an old dance studio in the student union. I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but I wouldn't call what they had, a "training facility" as much as a place to shove some rowing machines. Of course at that time, they practiced at Overhoulser, not the river.
    OCU or OU? I was talking about OU. I did not think OU had a varsity squad till the Chesapeake Boathouse was built.

Strange they are moving forward with a $6.5 million on-campus row facility (just west of Lloyd Noble) and saying nothing about the OK River boathouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Strange they are moving forward with a $6.5 million on-campus row facility (just west of Lloyd Noble) and saying nothing about the OK River boathouse.
    It seems like less than a quarter of the time when they have ever spoken of either of the projects have they mentioned the other one, except in recruiting material.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    just south of the tennis center and rugby fields on the south side of Blankenship Blvd

Default Re: OU Boathouse

Very interesting comment in Steve's chat today by a rower; more than one person mentioned this issue:

Currently, with High Performance, OCU, and all the programs that come out of Chesapeake and the Kayaking groups, the Oklahoma River is almost at capacity. With the addition of UCO it will be very crowded and tight scheduling for teams to practice. OU is a MASSIVE team, probably as big as UCO and OCU combined. With how crowded it is on the eastern side of the river where the boathouse district is, OU is perfectly content saying up at Exchange and having that entire area to themselves and their schedule.
    He's referring to small boathouse on the south side of the river at Exchange Ave near the stockyards.

I didn't even realize the OU team was based there:

facilities_exchange-boathouse - Oklahoma Sooners

20. Default Re: OU Boathouse

I love that the river has so much activity. These boathouses all look great.

Doesn't seem like OU needs a new boathouse... Just won the Big XII for the second year in a row:

They don't need one, but it will be nice to drive down I35 and see 3 boathouses lit up blue, yellow, and red.

They should build one anyways ;P

Default OU Boathouse

Steve brings up an interesting point about the main boathouse row area getting crowded. Maybe it will lead to OU either improving the exchange boathouse or building their boathouse farther up the river. Who knows, maybe this could lead to another boathouse row further upstream eventually. I would like to see another boathouse on the row as much as the next person, but it's a long river. Adding more training options on other parts of the river would probably add to its prestige as a great rowing venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^

The comment I quoted was from a rower after someone asked on Steve's chat about the delays with the OU Boathouse.

Thread Information