Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Keith Guest

Default Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Bike to Work Day.....
    City of Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City has partnered with the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) to participate in the 3rd annual Bike to Work Day, on Friday, May 18, 2007, 8:30 am, at Bicentennial Park, (west of City Hall).

For the past two years, Oklahoma City has designated the third Friday in May as “Bike to Work Day”. Participants in this event converge on Downtown Oklahoma City on Friday morning to attend a bicycle rally with the City Manager and City Council members.

Bike to Work Day is a national event sponsored by the League of American of Bicyclists and has attracted as many as 250 participants in Oklahoma City.

The intent of Bike to Work Day is to:
    • Educate the community that bicycles are a beneficial mode of transportation
    • Provide basic information on bicycle commuting available to potential riders
    • Encourage people to try bicycle commuting
    • Increase the general public's awareness and respect for bicyclists
    Bicycling is a viable and environmentally friendly form of transportation, an excellent form of fitness, a quality of life element, an economic development tool, and provides quality recreation.

The League of American Bicyclists has recognized the month of May as National Bike to Work Month since 1956.

2. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

I hope we have TONS of participants this year to show the city that there are many of us that are passionate about biking, more bike lanes, etc. ALRIGHT! It would be great to see 500 people attend. Think we can do it? Everyone recruit a few friends to attend with you!

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I hope we have TONS of participants this year to show the city that there are many of us that are passionate about biking, more bike lanes, etc. ALRIGHT! It would be great to see 500 people attend. Think we can do it? Everyone recruit a few friends to attend with you!
    More bike lanes and paths would be fine but, only make sense if more bike riders used them when they are available. A quick drive around Lake Hefner will show you how much they don't get used. It drives me crazy to have to slowly creep behind some idiot hogging the middle of the road when 20ft away there's a bike path for their use. It's there for the convenience of both of us...use it!

That said, good luck with the bike day. Perhaps you can encourage the use of the bike paths and lanes with your fellow bike commuters.

4. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    More bike lanes and paths would be fine but, only make sense if more bike riders used them when they are available. A quick drive around Lake Hefner will show you how much they don't get used. It drives me crazy to have to slowly creep behind some idiot hogging the middle of the road when 20ft away there's a bike path for their use. It's there for the convenience of both of us...use it!

That said, good luck with the bike day. Perhaps you can encourage the use of the bike paths and lanes with your fellow bike commuters.
    MadMonk, there are a number of reasons cyclists choose the road rather than an adjacent path, especially Hefner's trails. First, they are multi-use, which means that a cyclist moving at 20 mph has a very good chance of running into a walker going 4 mph, or their dog, or child, or dog/child's leash. Frankly, multi use trails can be as dangerous as sidewalks for a person on a bicycle. Oklahoma law recognizes bicycles as vehicles, and their place on the road is protected by law. I do take issue with cyclists being referred to as "idiots".
    Now, back on topic, Edmond is also hosting a Bike to Work Day event. I'll post full details on the Edmond board tomorrow!

"I thought of that while riding my bicycle" Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity
    Last edited by Tim; 04-11-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add quote

MadMonk Guest

If a bike rider is doing 20MPH in a 35-40 zone in the only lane I can drive my car in and feels the need to "own the lane" thereby slowing me and the increasingly long line behind me then he/she is indeed an idiot. It if was you, then you will surely remember my verticle middle finger as I went by as well as another car's "friendly" honk when he went by. If not, then you have nothing to take issue with.

6. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Y'know MadMonk, it's kinda pathetic that a grown man has to resort to name calling and obscene hand gestures because he was delayed in traffic for a few seconds. Grow up man.

7. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

If you're in such a hurry, why the heck are you on the Lake Road????

8. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Holy Road Rage Batman! Unfortunately this type of attitude is very typical towards those that ride bikes here in OKC. With time, as bike lanes and sidewalks are added to the city and we have less smog & fewer cars on the road thus reducing commute times maybe people will start to understand.

9. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Holy Road Rage Batman! Unfortunately this type of attitude is very typical towards those that ride bikes here in OKC. With time, as bike lanes and sidewalks are added to the city and we have less smog & fewer cars on the road thus reducing commute times maybe people will start to understand.
    Ahhh...utopia! My only hope is that gas hits $6.00 per gallon and suddenly us bike geeks will be considered geniuses! Seriously, I really cannot comprehend the anger behind those drivers that freak out on us. Why do they feel the need to yell and scream and throw stuff?

10. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

I know! It's unbelievable. We need to band together to promote change. In Austin there aren't problems like that, the city has gotten used to sharing the road with bikes (plus Lance Armstong has had a huge influence). Maybe we just need on Okie to win the Tour de France!

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Y'know MadMonk, it's kinda pathetic that a grown man has to resort to name calling and obscene hand gestures because he was delayed in traffic for a few seconds. Grow up man.
    What's pathetic is that there are perfectly good trails for the bikes that our tax money pays for and some riders don't have the wits enough to figure out how to get around some old lady walking her dog, so they decide it's SOOO much safer to jockey with multi-ton vehicles.

BTW, it's not that I had to resort to the finger, more like settle for it. And who said anything about throwing stuff?!? Are you pissing people off that badly when you ride? That says a lot right there.

Grow up? Never!
    Here, these are just for you.

jbrown,
    It's not that I was in a hurry, it's the principle of the thing. This guy seem to think he owned the road and refused to get over enought to allow traffic to get by without going into the opposite lane. And it's not as if he were some clueless grandad out for his first ride in 30 years, this guy knew exactly what he was doing.

Don't you agree that that is wrong and inherently unsafe?

The irony here is that you guys think that I just have this crazy hate for bike riders. You're totally wrong, I ride one myself! I just hate inconsiderate bike riders who don't take advantage of the trails made for them and instead choose to meander along like they own the road. I do my best to make things easier riders who are considerate and intelligent enough use the trails and to at least get over enough to pass if a trail isn't available. I do it and I would expect any reasonable person to do the same.

12. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

There aren't any bike paths from my house to my office. Many of the bike paths in the city are fine for recreation but some people choose to bike rather than drive a car. It keeps you in shape, lets you enjoy the fresh air and sunshine and is better for the environment. I don't agree with cars OR bikes hogging the road, but maybe there was glass or a pothole. Or maybe he just felt safer because it was a dangerous area to ride in and riding in the middle of the lane forces drivers to be aware of you so you don't get run over and killed.

13. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

What's pathetic is that there are perfectly good trails for the bikes that our tax money pays for and some riders don't have the wits enough to figure out how to get around some old lady walking her dog, so they decide it's SOOO much safer to jockey with multi-ton vehicles.

BTW, it's not that I had to resort to the finger, more like settle for it. And who said anything about throwing stuff?!? Are you pissing people off that badly when you ride? That says a lot right there.

Grow up? Never!
    Here, these are just for you.

jbrown,
    It's not that I was in a hurry, it's the principle of the thing. This guy seem to think he owned the road and refused to get over enought to allow traffic to get by without going into the opposite lane. And it's not as if he were some clueless grandad out for his first ride in 30 years, this guy knew exactly what he was doing.

Don't you agree that that is wrong and inherently unsafe?

The irony here is that you guys think that I just have this crazy hate for bike riders. You're totally wrong, I ride one myself! I just hate inconsiderate bike riders who don't take advantage of the trails made for them and instead choose to meander along like they own the road. I do my best to make things easier riders who are considerate and intelligent enough use the trails and to at least get over enough to pass if a trail isn't available. I do it and I would expect any reasonable person to do the same.
    The bottom line seems to be that you got angry, are uninformed as to the laws of the State regarding cyclist's rights (or don't care) and are trying to justify your bad behavior by blaming the cyclist.

i don't have a problem sharing the roads with cyclists... but there are times that they choose busy streets and cause traffic/safety problems. when the speed limit is 45mph, i don't think it's unreasonable to get irked when stuck behind somebody doing around 20 regardless of whether or not they're on a bicycle. sure, the cyclist has the legal right to be there... but that doesn't mean it isn't rude to the rest of us. -M

MadMonk Guest

No, the bottom line is that the law says you have to ride as far to the right as can be safely done. The road was not potholed and there was no reason why this person needed to ride in the middle of the lane other than to be an ass. You can't seem to stomach my little outburst, but have no problem with a cyclists hogging the road.

How about if I drive 10MPH in front of the 20MHP cyclist and not let him pass? Would that be acceptable behavior in your reality? I hope not, but that's what you are saying I should put up with. If you can't see that then you are beyond any hope of reasoning with.

Misty, I'm all for more bike paths to get bike commuters off the main roads. My gripe is for those irresponsible cyclists that don't use the ones we already have.

16. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i don't have a problem sharing the roads with cyclists... but there are times that they choose busy streets and cause traffic/safety problems. when the speed limit is 45mph, i don't think it's unreasonable to get irked when stuck behind somebody doing around 20 regardless of whether or not they're on a bicycle. sure, the cyclist has the legal right to be there... but that doesn't mean it isn't rude to the rest of us. -M
    I'll grant you that. The purpose of National Bike to Work Day is two-fold. To raise awareness among motorists and to educate cyclists. Anger and obscenity do absolutely nothing to foster a positive relationship. On that note, (this one's for you Misty!) if you study the history of paved roadways in the US, you will find that the League of American Wheelmen (now the League of American Cyclists) lobbied successfully for paved streets to accomodate high wheel bicycles!

MadMonk Guest

I think I should clarify something. My grip specifically was with this one guy a couple years ago and generally with those who are either clueless or careless or both when they are on their bikes. I pass by countless cyclists every day that are good, responsible and mindful cyclists that know what they are doing.

Yes, I know my little outburst was childish and no I wouldn't want to present that as an example for my children, but the fact remains that there are cyclists out there that bring that sort of behavior out among motorists - just as there are motorists out there that are just as much of an ass as that one guy on the bike.

Awareness and education is a good thing and I think it should go both ways.

18. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

No, the bottom line is that the law says you have to ride as far to the right as can be safely done. The road was not potholed and there was no reason why this person needed to ride in the middle of the lane other than to be an ass. You can't seem to stomach my little outburst, but have no problem with a cyclists hogging the road.

How about if I drive 10MPH in front of the 20MHP cyclist and not let him pass? Would that be acceptable behavior in your reality? I hope not, but that's what you are saying I should put up with. If you can't see that then you are beyond any hope of reasoning with.

Misty, I'm all for more bike paths to get bike commuters off the main roads. My gripe is for those irresponsible cyclists that don't use the ones we already have.
    Monk, you really need a ride to relax man! We have a difference of opinion, but there is really no need for name calling! If you feel the need to pull in front of me and go 10 MPH, cool! Is it OK if I hang on to your bumper for a while?

19. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Tim-very interesting fact, I didn't know that! I'll have to do some research. Thanks for sharing!

20. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

I agree that 90% of cyclists seem to have enough sense to keep to the right. However, I always seem to find the few that will literally pedal down the middle of the lane oblivious to the line of cars and safety hazard they have created. I am also constantly annoyed by those who still believe the myth that they are to pedal facing traffic.

21. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

You run against the traffic, but bike with the traffic.

22. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Actually, you also have to WALK facing traffic where a sidewalk is not provided.

23. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    I agree that 90% of cyclists seem to have enough sense to keep to the right. However, I always seem to find the few that will literally pedal down the middle of the lane oblivious to the line of cars and safety hazard they have created. I am also constantly annoyed by those who still believe the myth that they are to pedal facing traffic.
    That drives me NUTS! Believe it or not, when I was but a wee lad, they actually taught that in school! Again, educate, educate, educate!

24. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Actually, you also have to WALK facing traffic where a sidewalk is not provided.
    naturally...

25. Default Re: Bike to Work Day, May 18th

naturally...
    I don't think it is that obvious. How many people know that when walking on the grass next to a public street (not even in the street) they have to face traffic if there is not a sidewalk?

Thread Information