0 0%
  • Tony's Italian Specialties

10 5.15%
  • other

21 10.82%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

I miss the original Sleepy Hollow, the 70's and before. There wasn't a menu. You
    could have a steak or fried chicken. The chicken was about the best I've ever had.

Herman's Seafood isn't on the list. I miss it more than any restaurant.

Der Dutchman, Christopher's and Candlewood are missed, too.

Actually, Herman's is on the list, howbeit pretty far back. It's funny to go to Toby Keith's and order catfish with Herman's Coleslaw and nobody but me and my wife know what "Herman's" was. This slaw is tart, marinated slaw that Herman's served with every meal back in the day. It is still the slaw my wife makes and is definitely my preferred slaw. Perfect with fish or BBQ, I'll put it up against anyone's. Google the recipe. It's out there.

Herman's, The Patio, Glen's, Shipman's, Kip's, Hyde's Drug Store lunch counter, Hollie's, The Spot, Quik's...there is an abundance of good old eateries that I miss a lot. Wish we could put together a district and resurrect some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Actually, Herman's is on the list, howbeit pretty far back. It's funny to go to Toby Keith's and order catfish with Herman's Coleslaw and nobody but me and my wife know what "Herman's" was. This slaw is tart, marinated slaw that Herman's served with every meal back in the day. It is still the slaw my wife makes and is definitely my preferred slaw. Perfect with fish or BBQ, I'll put it up against anyone's. Google the recipe. It's out there.

Herman's, The Patio, Glen's, Shipman's, Kip's, Hyde's Drug Store lunch counter, Hollie's, The Spot, Quik's...there is an abundance of good old eateries that I miss a lot. Wish we could put together a district and resurrect some of them.
    Someone else remembers the Hyde Drug store at 50th and Shartel had wonderful root beer floats.

Realjimbo,
    The Spot? Are you talking about the place on South Western, around 26th? I believe it's a Mexican restaurant now, but I went there a few times when I was young.
    C. T.

I was telling wifeypoo about this post since she is a huge fan of cole slaw. Funny thing is that we didn't have to google the recipe....it was in today's paper!

HERMAN’S SLAW

1 head (4 pounds) cabbage

2 medium onions

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon dry mustard

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 to 3/4 cup salad oil

Grated carrots or diced pimientos

Shred cabbage and onions. Cover with the 1/2 cup sugar and set aside.

In medium saucepan, bring vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, mustard, salt and celery seed to boil. Pour over cabbage while hot. Stir in carrots or pimientos for color. When well mixed, add garlic and salad oil. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving.

Yep, that's the one, CT

Yep, that's the one, CT
    Realjimbo,
    I think it was actually "The Hamburger Spot", but not if you were "Cool", it was just The Spot. Hey, let's go to the Spot! Never turned down an invite like that. Do you remember the place on Southwest 29th between Penn and Agnew? I think somebody told me in another thread, but it escapes me again.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Realjimbo,
    The Spot? Are you talking about the place on South Western, around 26th? I believe
    it's a Mexican restaurant now, but I went there a few times when I was young.
    C. T.
    The real name was "Thurmond Black's' The Spot." That's what the sign said.
    It was a major Capitol Hill HS hangout.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The real name was "Thurmond Black's' The Spot." That's what the sign said.
    It was a major Capitol Hill HS hangout.
    PP,
    I stumbled onto this while I was looking up something else, so don't know about the sign, but this is cut out of an article from the DOK. It was a "Major" hangout for Southside teenagers, Grant, Capitol Hill, and Southeast. Maybe the sign said "Thurmond Black's Hamburger Spot". I know it was the Hamburger Spot, I just don't remember the sign. You are younger than me so maybe later on, the owner changed the name since nobody ever called it anything but "The Spot". I will try to find something about it in the DOK archives. See the part below that is in red and bold. I just learned something new, I had never been to the advanced options on this board and didn't know what they were.
    C. T.

"After 46 years in business in Oklahoma, Del Rancho Drive Ins are expanding to Texas, and they are still family owned.
    James Burchett, a grandson of the original owners, will open Del Rancho No. 19 in Allen, Texas, in July. Grandson Michael Burchett opened the No. 18 drive-in in December along State Highway 152 in Mustang.

Grandsons Todd and Scott Jones own their own stores, as well. Rosamond Holt said the fourth generation is coming to work in the family restaurant business and bucking to open their own stores.

Rosamond Holt said she never intended to get into the restaurant business. The idea was her husband's.

"We were in the real estate business for 15 years, but he wanted to get into the restaurant business," the 85-year-old said.

What really happened, however, was the now-deceased J.R. Holt bought a restaurant, put Rosamond to work in it, and he went back to real estate.

When they opened a second location, Rosamond Holt put her foot down.

"I told him he had to get out of the real estate business," she said.

Not until the couple opened their third restaurant did J.R. Holt finally sell the real estate business and become a full-time restaurateur.

That first restaurant, at 3300 S Western, was originally the Ranch House. The nearest competitor was The Hamburger Spot.

"Everyone told us the Spot was so busy with the kids, we'd never make it. But they're closed and we're still here," Rosamond Holt said.

The second restaurant, in Del City, became Del Rancho. From there, the couple opened two more restaurants and started to sell franchises."

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    PP,
    ... You are younger than me so maybe later on, the owner changed the name since
    nobody ever called it anything but "The Spot".
    I remember the sign being a black circle with "The Spot" written in white and with
    block letters. Thurmond Black's name was on top of the black dot and I believe the
    background was red with his name in black and in cursive.

The poll is missing Herman's Seafood Restaurant. That's my most missed restaurant.

This article is of interest to lovers of two of the restaurants on the list; Casa Bonita and Crystals. Interesting read:

Casa Bonita founder Bill Waugh dies at the age of 79 - The Denver Post

Bill Waugh, founder of Denver's Casa Bonita Mexican restaurant and other eateries across the Southwest, died at the age of 79 on Tuesday.

Waugh, whose restaurants also include the Taco Bueno and Crystal's Pizza chains, Casa Viva, and Burger Street, passed away in hospice care in Dallas, according to an obituary published in the Dallas Morning News.

A spokesperson for the Sparkman-Hillcrest Funeral Home in Dallas confirmed his passing to The Denver Post on Thursday.

"He was both a businessman and an artist, and that artistic training translated into great attention to detail," said Don Williams, former CEO of Trammell Crow Co. and a friend of Waugh's, in a Dallas Morning News article. "He was a genuine entrepreneur — but an entrepreneur with taste... And he was a man of faith who sought to encourage other people."

Waugh's artistic background — he graduated from Abilene Christian University with a fine arts degree in 1959 — encouraged him to bring a certain visual and design flair to his restaurants.

That includes Casa Bonita, which was founded in Oklahoma City in 1968 and expanded to locations in Texas, Colorado and Arkansas.

The Colorado location of Casa Bonita, which last year celebrated its 40th anniversary, also gained fame in a 2003 episode of Comedy Centrals' animated series "South Park." The episode echoed many Colorado kids' experiences growing up there: watching cliff divers leap off a 30-foot indoor waterfall, puppet shows, costumed characters, roaming mariachi bands and endless sopapillas.

Waugh sold Casa Bonita, along with his Taco Bueno chain, to the British food company Unigate in 1981.

Waugh was also noted for his charitable nature, having provided funds for major buildings and endowments at his alma-mater and donating his time and money to causes that included orphanages, learning institutes, and feeding and clothing those in need.

Waugh was born in on Aug. 2, 1935, in Norman, Okla., and graduated from Colorado Springs High School in 1953. He married Francis Vickrey in 1964 and is survived by Liwei Waugh, his wife of 11 years, two daughters, a son, a stepdaughter and 14 grandchildren, among others.

A memorial service will be held at Sparkman-Hillcrest Funeral Home in Dallas at 10 a.m. on Jan. 24, followed by a burial at Hillcrest Memorial Park in Dallas.

I miss Big Cheese Pizza. There was one on Midwest blvd in Midwest City. Don't remember if there were any other metro locations.

Anybody remember a restaurant near Britton and May in the mid 70's that looked like train cars. I think it was called The American Railroad. I also believe they were one of the first restaurants to serve Prime Rib.

16. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by harp23 View Post
    Anybody remember a restaurant near Britton and May in the mid 70's that looked like train cars. I think it was called The American Railroad. I also believe they were one of the first restaurants to serve Prime Rib.
    "The Great American Railroad Company"

Currently home to Ranch Steakhouse...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    "The Great American Railroad Company"

Currently home to Ranch Steakhouse...
    Yep that was the name and they had wonderful food as well at a decent price. I also recall a Mexican place moving there in the mid-later 80s but cant recall the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Yep that was the name and they had wonderful food as well at a decent price. I also recall a Mexican place moving there in the mid-later 80s but cant recall the name.
    Never ate there, but their to-go gallon jugs of frozen margaritas were nice when we were closing the bank drive-in next to them on Fri nights...

For awhile, The Ranch Steakhouse was "Good Eats Café." I ate there a couple of times and it was very good at a reasonable price. I guess, all things considered, I miss Der Dutchman the most. Their gumbo (and those strange cylindrical hush puppies) was D' Bomb.

I would humbly submit, THE MAGNOLIA CAFE. . . their cajun was great!

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    I would humbly submit, THE MAGNOLIA CAFE. . . their cajun was great!
    i vaguely remember that name... where was it at?

6714 N WESTERN. . Gawd, I miss their gumbo.. . (minus the hepatitus of course)

23. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    6714 N WESTERN. . Gawd, I miss their gumbo.. . (minus the hepatitus of course)
    They also had a fried rabbit appetizer that was outstanding!

Blog Entries

The Cellar should be on the list.

Kyle's 1025 had the best chicken fried steak. They made them out of filet minion. I miss the food and ambiance there. Kyle had quite a collection of old OKC restaurants dishes, glasses, menus, and photos all over the place. Dishes from the old Beverly's, Delores, Kentucky Club, Glen's Hick'ry, the Cellar, etc. -- it was quite a collection.

Thread Information