Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lofts at Maywood Park

Default Re: Lofts at Maywood Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This policy and practice needs to be addressed from the larger perspective, not just this particular incident.

There is going to be more and more construction all around downtown and they need to make arrangement to ensure street lights stay on.
    This. Just going off of development announcements that exist already, not on speculation or prime lots or whatnot, we know that Bradshaw's Maywood Apartments is being dragged out for a Phase 2 which will put major construction activity in this neighborhood clear up until almost 2015. Granted, that will pretty much finish out the immediate Maywood Park vicinity, but it still seems like a lifetime to go without street lighting. The city put these lights in to work, and street infrastructure doesn't last forever.

"At least we're not Detroit!" is one of my favorite all-time taglines..

LOL, that's hilarious, Spartan. I will say that Detriot has a very nice airport though if that's any consolation.

Lindsey,

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been out of town. I will do what I can to support your efforts and am glad to have another "sqeaky wheel" in the neighborhood.

Got back late last night and noticed some of the lights on 3rd are back on.... good work.

Not much to report yet as far as lighting goes. However, the most recent story is that LEVEL needed to finish their street parking grading (not really sure what this is) and that should be done in the next couple of days with OG&E to be out there within 10 days...we shall see. Turns out Skip Kelly is the correct councilman, however, Meg's office has been very helpful so far...as long as something eventually gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    Not much to report yet as far as lighting goes. However, the most recent story is that LEVEL needed to finish their street parking grading (not really sure what this is) and that should be done in the next couple of days with OG&E to be out there within 10 days...we shall see. Turns out Skip Kelly is the correct councilman, however, Meg's office has been very helpful so far...as long as something eventually gets done.
    Street grates?

Thanks for staying on that Lindsey. And, if you're out with your dog and see someone out with a corgi or two, that's likely me or my husband. I think once LEVEL is done things will be better around there, with the exception of street parking. That is, if the residents at LEVEL don't litter.

I've always wondered how responsive Skip Kelley is to his constituents in Deep Deuce, since that's kind of an odd little attachment to his ward.

There was an OG&E truck on 2nd Street this afternoon - crossing my fingers some of the lights are back on tonight - I'll let you know....

11. Default Re: Lofts at Maywood Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, it's not acceptable to merely cut street lights for a prolonged period just due to construction in the area.

Who on earth decided it was just okay to completely cut off power to city street lights for the entire duration of construction on a separate piece of property?

This policy and practice needs to be addressed from the larger perspective, not just this particular incident.

There is going to be more and more construction all around downtown and they need to make arrangement to ensure street lights stay on.
    Agree with this wholeheartedly. Even when they are restored sometimes they don't get everything back to 100%. There were very public discussions on this board and elsewhere regarding Film Row and how long that district was without street lights (with some obvious extenuating circumstances). While the new streetscape-driven lights are indeed back on, there is still a two-block stretch between the end of the new streetscape and Classen (running past Sonic and Taco Bell) where the old, pre-existing lights have STILL not been restored. There is no good reason for this, as the construction is complete and new lights are lit, but it appears someone just forgot to throw the switch back on for that older stretch of Sheridan. Who's responsibility is that? And who holds them accountable? That whole process needs to be better-defined, I think.

No lights on 2nd Street still. The two-week mark in this upcoming Friday - when I fully intend to start giving city hall hell again. I will say it does look like some progress is being made (and "some" is a generous way to put it)...some of the glass tops were not on correctly and they were on correctly yesterday. There seems to be some new lighting installed around LEVEL on Oklahoma Street. Richard, the developer at LEVEL, has told me they have done everything in their power to get them turned back on and are continuing to run conduit for OG&E to help speed up the process. Like I said, Friday - all bets are off...all my contacts will know I waited the two weeks...(again).

Stay on it, lindsey!

I respect your dedication but appalled it takes this sort of effort to receive a very basic public service.

I was able to squeeze this issue into my public comment at City Council today, surprisingly, just before Mick cut me off. I was so appalled at his smarminess to suggest that I give up another grueling 3 hours just to get another 2 minutes of his time that I may just take him up on the offer if I haven't gotten over how irate the city makes me by then.

I hate those embarrassing ax grinders like that Taco Bell employee who ran for mayor who waste the public's time, but I am truly offended and appalled after the disrespect that they show to people with legitimate concerns.

What were the gist of your comments Nicks?

Well because I don't care enough anymore to go down and speak each time I feel like somebody needs to, I just made a list and the topics that I had gotten through before Mick cut me off were P180 gross mismanagement, streetscape lighting in 4 different areas I listed, tied that into public safety downtown, the disappointment of giving up on Thunder Alley when the NBA tax promised video boards (which another speaker touched on), the folly of the convention center, and needing a new C2S plan..I think that was all. Shadid has become a huge advocate of the traffic circle so I didn't need to echo him.

I will say Cornett and Couch together make me wanna puke.

Thank you for squeezing in the comment and I may be there next Tuesday with you if the lights aren't on by Friday!

Sounds good. Next time I swear I will just sign up before the meeting begins to speak and then go hang out at Coffee Slingers or Panera for an hour or two and then return to speak...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well because I don't care enough anymore to go down and speak each time I feel like somebody needs to, I just made a list and the topics that I had gotten through before Mick cut me off were P180 gross mismanagement, streetscape lighting in 4 different areas I listed, tied that into public safety downtown, the disappointment of giving up on Thunder Alley when the NBA tax promised video boards (which another speaker touched on), the folly of the convention center, and needing a new C2S plan..I think that was all. Shadid has become a huge advocate of the traffic circle so I didn't need to echo him.

I will say Cornett and Couch together make me wanna puke.
    Mick's act is getting old.

I agree about signing up and coming back - there is someone who tweets updates from the meetings so we could just watch the tweets and then go back when it was close to time.

Still no lights on 2nd Street. Contacted City Council again - they are checking on it. Really- still no answer. SOOO FRUSTRATING

This whole thing is outrageous.

Lindsey, I think you need to go to City Council this Tuesday. They need to know how absurd this has become; not just this incident, but the complete lack of accountability and action.

I'm planning on it. I think I'm also going to contact "In Your Corner" at News channel 4.

Well I'll see you there, lindsey..

You could consider giving a friendly shoutout to the traffic circle in your talk time as well. Call it "Real Talk with Lindsey."

UPDATE:

Just spoke with Richard McKown (developer at LEVEL) and Larry McNutt (OG&E) on a conference call. Larry said he will personally be at the site tomorrow and will make sure the lights are on before he leaves. Everything is done from the LEVEL construction that needed to be done (and has been for I don't know how long). Larry made sure to point out that the City signed off on the project knowing full well that these lights would be out and for over a year. Richard basically asked me not to go to the City Council meeting because he doesn't think it will get the lights turned on and the only good it will do is hender the development of the area and make it harder for people to build downtown. Perhaps he is right but I said I was at the end of my rope and didn't know what else to do. So I am now thinking I will not go to the city council meeting until next week (if the lights are not turned on by then).

Also, found out that the six lights under the railroad bridge are NOT part of this problem. The lights, according to Larry, have not worked since 2001 and need to be re--installed by the City. Hmmmm, yet another battle to fight? I'll celebrate my (half) victory though if these other lights on 2nd Street are back on tomorrow....we shall see.

Thread Information