Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What type of car would you buy?

1. Default What type of car would you buy?

We're not talking exotics here, unless you just have that much money. My question is, if you were about about to buy a car, what type, realistically, would it be? Or, if you are going to buy a car soon, what will it be?

I REALLY want to buy a Ford Escape and I work at a Ford dealership now so the urge grows stronger every day I come to work. DRIVING ME CRAZY!

2. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

Ultimately, whatever car I can pay cash for.

I pay cash for my cars and then put away about $200 a month for when I go to buy a new one and/or for repairs etc.

I would NEVER buy new, such a money waste.

I like a 2-6 year old cars with average to low miles and a good record.

I'm not attracted to any one car or maker. If I see something that I know I could sell in a year or maybe two and get most if not all my money back, then I get it.

My next one will probably be an SUV, like a Pathfinder, Sante Fe, or Explorer.

We like to have an extra car or two around.

3. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

I like fuel-efficient cars. Maybe a Honda hybrid or something. We'll see what the hubby gets for me in the future I'm not picky, but I'm not a fan of domestics, either.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

Will be getting something in Feb. as I have promised mine to my nephew on his 16th

Wife is pushing me to get a 4 dr in case we do get around to having those kid things everyone talks about

Right now...Acura TSX leads the way...Boring I know, but I am a Honda fan

btw CM...Wife drives an Escape and it handles just like a car....Great if you don't need room for 5 or more

It has to fit the way I will use it.
    I have to like the way it looks.
    I have to like the way it "feels".
    I have to like the way it rides/drives.
    The End. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's my money.

Easy I am surprised you know that the Honda and the Acura are cousins. Most people do not know that. Did you also know that Infinity is the cousin of Nissan and Lexus is the cousin of Toyota?

I am not a fan of the hybrids because none of them have hit 150,000 miles. I think when they start hitting that mileage limit people will have serious problems with them. They developed the technology way too fast and I do not think they have all the bugs worked out. Unfortunately, the people that will be driving them at that time will not be the latte sipping yuppies. It will be the single moms, who will not be able to depend on them to get to work.

If I were you, I would find out what you can afford and then go test-drive as many cars as possible until you find one you love. Some family members of mine when through CarMax to buy a car and loved the experience. They have like new cars in new car condition, at great prices. They do not operate like a typical car dealership. They let you pick the car and the terms of the loan. There is no pressure and no hype. They work hard to get you the best deal possible.

7. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

I covet Infiniti's M35, but it's a bit beyond my price range. (I currently drive an older I30.)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe View Post
    Easy I am surprised you know that the Honda and the Acura are cousins. Most people do not know that. Did you also know that Infinity is the cousin of Nissan and Lexus is the cousin of Toyota?

I am not a fan of the hybrids because none of them have hit 150,000 miles. I think when they start hitting that mileage limit people will have serious problems with them. They developed the technology way too fast and I do not think they have all the bugs worked out. Unfortunately, the people that will be driving them at that time will not be the latte sipping yuppies. It will be the single moms, who will not be able to depend on them to get to work.

If I were you, I would find out what you can afford and then go test-drive as many cars as possible until you find one you love. Some family members of mine when through CarMax to buy a car and loved the experience. They have like new cars in new car condition, at great prices. They do not operate like a typical car dealership. They let you pick the car and the terms of the loan. There is no pressure and no hype. They work hard to get you the best deal possible.
    Will likely try out Carmax next year....Like the no haggle and ability to buy a car from any of their nationwide inventory...Having Dallas so close seems to work for the OKC dealership since they can be transferred for free...Every time I've checked they have had several cars that fit exactly what I will be looking for...Can see why CarMax is so successful

MadMonk Guest

I'd like to buy a pickup. Ford F-150 or maybe a Tundra. I love my Jeep, but I miss having a pickup.

I'll more than likely be getting a new Toyota 4Runner within the month. And by new, I mean about a year old.

I'd probably buy a small pick-up, like a S-10.
    Though I really enjoy riding in a small convertible car.
    I currently own a Jeep 2000 sport not good on gas,
    But will hold up to a wreck better then most.

Life loves lives
    Nabber

I have my Cobra and an SUV, but no Pickup. So I would buy a pickup truck. Prob an F150 or GMC.

13. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

My next purchase will be a pre-FUBAR Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. probably next year. I'll find some poor sap that already upgraded bumpers, winch, and underarmor and now can't pay for it.

Then I'll 'help' him out by taking it off his hands.

Lexus. Makes every other car I've ever owned seem shoddy. Also best purchase experience. Only real drawback is scarcity of dealers but offset by lack of need.

I own and will buy another Mini Cooper soon, as mine is 5 years old. I was going to buy a Smart Car, but am worried about how highway worthy it will be and the fact that supposedly now Chrysler is going to make them. The Mini is a fabulous highway and snow car, so there are no worries there.

16. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

The new Z06.

17. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

Looking for a 4Runner.

Plans:

I know it is not nearly as cool as a 4Runner, but I would easily buy another Toyota, too. However, I would buy another Toyota Prius (wait...wait... hold the tomatoes; hear me out). My wife and I have owned and driven a Prius since 2001 (back when they still looked a bit like a Corolla) and it is an excellent buy that is incredibly easy on maintenance and gasoline costs. Sure, it is not the most powerful thing on the freeway, but it will easily do 85+ on the Autobahns when we trip over to Germany. And after 117K miles, we are still getting 45 MPG average (city and highway driving). So, I'm sold, and I hear that Toyota has only improved the design and fuel efficiency... what's not to like about that?

MadMonk Guest

I like the concept behind the Prius - though not so much the styling.

Since I've sworn off buying new cars, I wonder about long-term reliabilty and maintenance (even with Toyota's good reputation in that area). Have you ever had any problems with it? When do the batteries wear out and how much does it cost to replace them? Do you think a used Prius would be a wise investment?

20. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

The best car? NONE! I loved not having one in ATX. My old, but paid cash for, 95 (i think) Honda.....um....Civic? (i think) is fine for the amount of driving I do, but what I REALLY want is a 1964 1/2 convertible baby blue mustang...all original....or a boy that owns one.........HA!

I need an International Scout in a bad way. Any leads?

22. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

The Prius hybrid system (including the battery pack) carries an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty, so I suspect it's probably a fairly-safe used-car buy.

(The battery pack runs about $3000.)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post

Since I've sworn off buying new cars, I wonder about long-term reliabilty and maintenance (even with Toyota's good reputation in that area). Have you ever had any problems with it? When do the batteries wear out and how much does it cost to replace them? Do you think a used Prius would be a wise investment?

I've little doubt that the any Prius would be a good investment... it certainly has been for us. As windowphobe mentioned above, the battery packs are warrantied for 8 years/100K anyway. Even though our battery packs are outside the warranty window, the batteries are not showing any signs of wearing out or degrading. I think the biggest problem you will have is finding a used Prius... most of the Prius owners seem to buy them new, like them, and hang on to them.

As mentioned, we've been driving ours since September 2001 in extremely varied conditions (we've been on trips through the desert southwest, throughout the southeast, and lately through the United Kingdom, France, Belgium and Germany)without any major maintenance issues. Our Prius seems to be roughly equally comfortable and fuel efficient with a 1,000 mile trip or just a trip around town.

24. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

Off-topic:

Rifleman: What did it take to get the car overseas?

25. Default Re: What type of car would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I need an International Scout in a bad way. Any leads?
    Actually, yes. Kinda.

Someone restored a 74 Scout II to a really nice condition, then sold it to a dealer in Amarillo.
    No one wants it, mainly because they don't know what it is. I forget the name, but it's right at 45th and I-27.

I'm a Scout lover myself, but I restrict myself to the original Scout series. Last baby is a 69 Scout Ambassador. I have owned 2 scouts, a 66 Scout 800 and the current one. I bought the 66 in 1989, and it finally died a horrible death in California in 1994. So I bought the new one and drove it out to North Carolina where I was being transferred, and enjoyed it until 2 years ago, when I gave it as a gift to one of my old Marine buddies. His car died just before deploying, so his wife and baby needed something reliable while he's gone. I had swapped in a freshly rebuilt I6 engine, so it was gonna last another 30 years or so.

Thread Information