Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

I didn't see the ride, but that type of ride has become quite popular. We're roller coaster junkies, but we love these rides - they're competetive and somehow engrossing. Plus, they tend to move people through quickly so lines aren't really a problem. The Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyworld is fantastic fun - the carts spin as you try to shoot targets, and each rider can see his or her score. We also rode a Scooby-Doo version somewhere - San Antonio, perhaps?

I cringe at the "Duck Hunt" description, however. Here's to hoping it turns out better than it looked on the news!

Patrick Guest

I think the point we're all missing here is that improvements are being made to our parks, something Six Flags hadn't done in years.

Frontier City, as is, used to be a pretty nice park when it was maintained well. I think if we can fix the existing problems left behind by Six Flags, and build on that, we'll be back to square one. From that, we can start improving the parks.

3. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Right on, Patrick.

Patrick Guest

Hey, at least we're not mourning the demolition of Frontier City in favor of upscale housing on the site, which could've been a real possiblity, since it is east Edmond.

We could be like Houston.....their theme park was closed, and now they don't have one.

5. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

I think for some reason a lot of people on this board would celebrate that, Patrick.

I guess they were never in middle school and unable to drive 4 hours to Arlington every time they wanted to ride some roller coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hey, at least we're not mourning the demolition of Frontier City in favor of upscale housing on the site, which could've been a real possiblity, since it is east Edmond.

We could be like Houston.....their theme park was closed, and now they don't have one.
    Well it depends...Was their best ride in Houston similar to this seemingly lame Duck Hunt robbery one?

Hopefully it's on to bigger and better after this one

7. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Hopefully it's on to bigger and better after this one
    Obviously.

I am glad to see their focused on drawing the locals to the park because the locals are what make the park a success.

9. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Quote Originally Posted by BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe View Post
    I am glad to see their focused on drawing the locals to the park because the locals are what make the park a success.
    Absolutely. I love the tone of this management company. They clearly seem to know what it's going to take.

----------------

I used to be pretty good at the Duck Hunt game, and remember the dog that would pop up and laugh at you when you would miss the ducks? When I was in junior high and couldn't drive four hours to Arlington or one hour to FC , I would play that Duck Hunt game.

Drove by last week on I-40 and noticed they had painted the giant 3 slides on the far east end of the property as well as some other slides had received a fresh coat of paint. The place looked freshly mowed and cleaned up quite a bit. Hopefully the improvements will continue. I should specify, this was at White Water and I'm talking about the three giant green slides plus the 2 pluges that come off of it. They re-painted each slide a different color instead of all being green and the pluges being tan. They weren't finished and you could tell a huge difference between the new paint, and the sun faded paint.

12. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Last weekend Frontier City was packed, or at least I've never seen so many cars there. Parking was overflowing out onto empty lots north of the park.

13. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Yupp. And it gets boring.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Last weekend Frontier City was packed, or at least I've never seen so many cars there. Parking was overflowing out onto empty lots north of the park.
    On Friday there had to be at least 50 school buses in the parking lot. The gates where closed to the public and every ride on the I-35 side was running and had a long line. My guess is they must have had a field trip day for the schools.

Default Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

I was reading that the new owners of frontier city is planning on expanding the park with addtional 40 more acres they own next to the existing park.. The park is planning on adding 3 new roller costers and a dozen or so new attractions.. Does anybody know any more information on this... I looked at web sites and they do metnion expanding but doesnt go any further

16. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

That's news to me. But they'd be smart to do something before FC drifts it's mediocrity into nothingness.

17. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Where did you read this? It's exactly what they need to do to compete.

Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Honestly I don't see why Oklahoma City doesn't have a better park than they do. It seems that there are lots of very nice parks in places that are a fraction of the size of OKC.

Valdosta, GA (pop. 45,000)
    Wild Adventures

Bowling Green, KY (pop. 53,000)
    Beech Bend Amusement Park Drag Racing Stock Car Racing Oval Track Racing Water Park Splash Lagoon Campgrounds Amusement Park

Pigeon Forge, TN (pop. 5,784)
    Dolly Parton's Great Smoky Mountain family Amusement Park

Chattanooga, TN (metro pop. 461,565)
    Welcome To Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park!

Wisconsin Dells, WI (pop. 2,418)
    Welcome To Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park, Wisconsin Dells

Sandusky, OH (pop. 27,844)
    Cedar Point Amusement Park, The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!

19. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Those are all tourist destinations, not unlike Branson.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Those are all tourist destinations, not unlike Branson.
    And your point is? Why can't OKC be a tourist destination? Pigeon Forge might be a tourist destination but I can assure you Sandusky, Bowling Green, and Valdosta ARE NOT tourist destinations.

Sandusky is but the other 2 I will agree. Alot of summer homes in Sandusky area.

22. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Bowling Green and Valdosta being exceptions, those parks were built because those smaller cities were major regional destinations. If you look at simlar size cities to us (a much better comparison) such as Little Rock, Tulsa, Wichita, Albuquerque, Austin, etc.--we have them all beat with Frontier City. It's not a BAD theme park, just a smaller one.

Not trying to be a snob here, but if we are looking at moving our city into the next tier, we should not be comparing ourselves to Tulsa, Wichita or Little Rock, all of which are smaller than we are. Austin maybe. Albuqurque I admit I don't know much about.

I don't really care about amusement parks but regardless of what we are talking about, if we are comparing ourselves with other cities, let's see about Kansas City, Charlotte, Cincinatti, etc. That's where we want to be sooner rather than later.

24. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

I never said we should be happy where we are. Frontier City needs to be bigger, so it IS on par with Kansas City's Worlds of Fun or San Antonio's Fiesta Texas.

I just get tired of people acting like Frontier City's barely a step above Celebration Station.

JBrown,
    Agreed. We were making the same point in different ways I think, which is, just because what OKC has is better than Wichita, Tulsa, etc. does not mean it is where it should be based on where we are now or where we want to be in 10-20 years.

I think that some in OKC (not talking about you or anyone on this forum) settle for just being better than Wichita, Tulsa, etc. and don't think about the fact that in 20 years OKC will be the size of present-day KC and that is where we should be looking, when deciding what to build, how high to reach, etc.

Thread Information