Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Nobody has mentioned the different types of BBQ. Most of what everyone is listing as their favorite places serve a sweet sauce style smoked BBQ. I happen to not like the sweet at all. I think BBQ should be bold and spicy. Where can I find that?? The closest things that have been decent to me are Leo's and The Oklahoma Ribber.

OMG JT's BBQ.
    one of those little hole in the wall places that is to die for.
    Its about the 500 block of South Sunnylane. Just north of I40.
    Lunch time is totally packed but well worth the wait.
    The meat just falls off the rib and the chopped beed is the best in the world.
    Gotta try it some time.

My wife and I ate at Oklahoma Station BBQ, at the new Edmond location, last night. I was very dissatisfied. Years ago I ate at their NW 50th location and was impressed. This time, we both got the chopped/shredded brisket, and it was burnt. Wasn't very tasty. I was very disappointed.

We both got Mac and Cheese and Potato Salad as sides, and they were just average.

I also like Leos, but like some have said, I've gotten good and bad their.

That's too bad because the OK Station on 50th is still really good. I took their mac and cheese to party not too long ago and everybody raved about how good it was. But I wasn't as impressed by the NW Expressway location however and stick to the one by my house.

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Billy Sims BBQ in Edmond is our first choice. We also like JR's BBQ on I-35 in Norman is pretty good too.

Steve's Rib is the best BBQ I have ever had. George's Happy Hog is good if you like "dirty" BBQ. I love their hot BBQ sauce.

I went to Pig's Stand in Moore for the first time yesterday and I got a bbq sandwich and it's really good although I liked Earl's better escpailly Earl's turkey sandwich with bbq poured all over it, mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl's bologna and hot link combo sandwich!! Might have to have that today.

Earl's in Moore has amazingly good service I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Earl's bologna and hot link combo sandwich!! Might have to have that today.

Earl's in Moore has amazingly good service I think.
    Yeah, they do, I was impressed with their service

Quote Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
    I went to Pig's Stand in Moore for the first time yesterday and I got a bbq sandwich and it's really good although I liked Earl's better escpailly Earl's turkey sandwich with bbq poured all over it, mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From the BBQ impaired: thanks for all the comments guys, the boyfriend (also an east coaster) and I use your recommendations to try all sort's of BBQ around the metro. So far Van's wins, because we like their tangy sauce, and the relish is delish.

I personally also like Swadley's the best but every time I say that I get yelled at by my friends (I would make a comment about people taking their BBQ too seriously but I'd be an absolute hypocrite as I get that way about pizza), I like the sweeeeeet sauce!

Darn you Oklahoma, BBQ in general is just too good! Not good for the waistline...

Favorite "hole in the wall" BBQ - Leo's, Leo's, Leo's

Favorite "stand alone" not necessarily a hole in the wall: Kansas City Blues bbq on Britton, just west of the Johnnie's on may.

Favorite local "chains": 1. Earl's 2. Swadley's

We live about a mile from Steve's Rib. I know it's a favorite of many given the miles of cars that line up outside of that place regularly each weekend. I don't get the hype. I find the atmosphere and bbq itself rather bland and boring. When I want "Q," I want "Q" not a sports bar that happens to have a few bbq dishes on the menu.

We've also tried Billy Sims, just down the street from Steve's Rib. I have to say I was disappointed. We found the meat really greasy and not at all flavorful.

I used to like Jack's on 39th Expressway until the new owners took over and sanitized its atmosphere.

First time poster here, and on one of my favorite topics!

I would tend to agree with the Pro-Leo's crowd. When it is good, it is awesome. When it is not good, it's still pretty dang good. Plus the strawberry banana cake.

Another one I like (but not as well as Leo's) is Pappy's (on Reno, I think). And no, I swear I didnt find this place on my way to Boscos...

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Smokehouse BBQ on Lincoln just north of the capital... Its amazing!!
    Smokehouse is my favorite as well! My choice for runner-up would be Billy Sims in Edmond.
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Smokehouse is my favorite as well! My choice for runner-up would be Billy Sims in Edmond.

I see it is now called Smoke Shack or Smoke Stack (something like that). Is it still the same place? I liked the food, but it was expensive for the size of the sandwich.

15. Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Yes it is still the same place. They recently painted, changed their name, and the prices have increased slightly. I love their hotlink sandwich and potato salad!
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

I have enjoyed Pappy's corner of May and Reno. Seedy looking place but very good food.

Not sure I would classify it "The Best" but it was good.

Del City has two great barbeque places - Larry's Rib Pit and JTs, both on Sunnylane (Larry's just south of I-40, JTs just north).

Hi, 2nd post...

I went to Pappy's after I talked about it, and thought it was decent, not great. I respectfully withdraw it from that race. I did like it better than Swadleys tho, but not as much as Leo's, which for me is still number 1.

That being said, there are several places in this thread I have got to try!

A subject dear to my heart, goood BBQ, wow, personally I prefer the more traditional, places, ie: Mr. Spriggs in MWC, Tom's on 10th street, Spencers BBQ or the now out of business George's on N. Kelly. Steve's in Edmond is good, but the ribs run to the "fatty" side sometimes. Oklahoma Station is really good, ownership has changed and the product is excellent. Not a big fan of Earl's, or the Rib Crib, seemed a little pricey, haven't had County Line in years, but friends reviewed it as average.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Right now, I'm pretty big on Earl's, and I think their okra is absolutely AWESOME. Their chopped beef sandwich is *great*, ribs are very good, and smoked chicken good (albeit the portion I had was a bit smallish).

I'm not impressed with Swadley's. We've been there several times and it's just been disappointing each time. Kept thinking the previous trip was an anomaly, weren't being fair, whatever, but finally we just gave up.

County Line used to be awesome, before they went to the dark side and became franchised with the "County Line" name. It used to be the "Oklahoma Line" years ago, and that's when it reallly hit its stride. I haven't been there in a long time after it deteriorated to the point that no one in my family liked to go there for my birthday dinner. I may be going back next week, not sure.

The Oklahoma Station on 50th used to be a favorite of my mom's, but when the owner treated my handicapped uncle (her brother) like he was a crook once we stopped going there instantly. I was not there, but the story was relayed to me that the owner had come out one evening and was asking people how their dinners were, and my uncle (who is a stroke victim and doesn't communicate verbally very well) suggested he'd have liked a bit more beef on his sandwich. Well, the onwer didn't appreciate the criticism, proceeded to throw a rather loud snit in front of the restaurant, and made a you-know-what of himself. That was the end of that place for us. That said, I believe the place has sold out since that time.

-soonerdave

Yeah, that guy was a little odd. They have new owners now and its much better. Give them another shot and see if the BBQ isn't better.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Does anyone remember Pulliam’s BBQ? I think it might have been on 4th Street but I can't really remember anymore. As I recall it was in a garage of a residence and it had a dirt floor. There was a kind of table built around the perimeter of the garage with a bench. You ate looking at the walls of the garage. There was a soda machine in the middle. The ribs were served on Wonder Bread wrappers with an ample supply of bread and sauce. I remember it from the 60's and maybe the 70's.

YES!!!! I forgot all about that place. It was an experience. Loved it.

I can't believe that on a BBQ post, no one mentioned KD's BBQ just east of 29th and Douglas. It is a little hole in the wall that might seat 25 people, but is really great. The owner's name is Gary and he used to call boxing matches so he has a lot of pictures Tommy Gunn, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, etc.

Chain- I would go with Coach's. Just my personal favorite.

where is this Leo's place everyone keeps talking about?

Can you all help me out with this? What is so great about Earls and Leo's? County Line, what is going on there?

Earls seems to be too commercial for me, it is good but not GREAT. I have been there about 5 times and I always get the sandwich that has brisket and hot links on it. It seems to be on the smaller side for BBQ sandwiches. What should I try next time?

Leos – Great cake, but I came for the BBQ! The meat is good but for me almost half of good in BBQ is in the sauce. Their sauce is sweet and tastes like A1 not BBQ. Again, what should I get, I have only had the brisket and ribs.

County Line > I had their brisket sandwich and it was bad. It was the kind that was premixed with sauce and other things such as onions. I think they do this so they can give you less meat but make it appear like a lot. I would rather have the kind you buy at the store in the round tubs then eat that sandwich again. Never had their ribs or other things so that may be good.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I can't believe that on a BBQ post, no one mentioned KD's BBQ just east of 29th and Douglas. It is a little hole in the wall that might seat 25 people, but is really great.
    Heck, I worked at Tinker for about 13 years and have no idea where this KD's place is... although now that I know it exists, I'll be looking for it. But I'll ask this question; is it east or west of The Frog Pond? Everyone around Tinker seems to have heard of or know where that place is!

Sorry, not sure where that is. It is east of Douglas of SE 29th. There is a little strip shopping center just east of the McDonald's on that corner.

Thread Information