Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Check out my review in the Food Court section of the site.

I ate at Irmas today. Chicken Fried sandwich and fries were wonderful. I was told that they just got all of their licensing and will be serving beer and wine starting tonight!!!!!

Maybe that "licensing" will help them with the night crowd. I know they were complaining that they didn't have many customers at night. Just some advertising would help them a ton, especially to local residents in the area to let them know they are open at night, every time I drive by they look like they are closed. I told them that and they said they were open, but they knew it kind of looked like they were closed. They mentioned they're still working kinks out, etc.

If you haven't driven by Midtown area along Walker in awhile you need to. St. Anthony's has started going vertical (at least 3 stories so far) recently on their new Physicians building. The first level parking garage looks done and 2 stories of steel have gone up on top of it. I believe the building is supposed to be 5 stories if my memory is correct.

If anyone is interested KOCO recently ran a nice little story on midtown. You can view it here:

Midtown Oklahoma City Growing - Video - KOCO Oklahoma City

Its good to see OKC has enough momentum that development is now starting to spread outside Bricktown.

6. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

nice
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

7. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Drive Around, 8/18/2007

Irma's:

Walker Shop's / 1492:

Roundabout: New landscaping, St. Anthony's buildout

Sieber Renovation(notice new windows)

Attorneys office renovation(behind Walker Shop's)

Another new modern home: NW 7th

thanks for the pics wsucougz, saves me a bikeride or trip with my camera. I've been meaning to post on the roundabout re-landscaping. I'm not sure how I feel about it. To me, it doesn't look much different than it was before. The only real improvement was that they added a sprinkler system. I'm wondering if that center median in the roundabout will become a nuisance as all those trees start to mature. I could have swore St. Anthony's and Banta announced not to long ago they had purchased a statue that was going to go in the center. I don't see where it will fit now.

9. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Yeah I was wondering where they were going to put that statue as well.

Thanks for those photos! Us out-of-staters are especially appreciative.

11. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Actually the round-a-bout landscaping is way different than the original version. The first try also had irrigation built in, but the dumb-asses driving through rather than around rendered it inoperative within a couple of months. Mostly shrubs and other green stuff and no small flowers in this scheme . . . much better IMO.

There has been talk of raising money for an art piece, but nothing firm on that front.

Thanks for the photo spread wuz.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    If anyone is interested KOCO recently ran a nice little story on midtown. You can view it here:

Midtown Oklahoma City Growing - Video - KOCO Oklahoma City

Its good to see OKC has enough momentum that development is now starting to spread outside Bricktown.
    I wouldn't say this was a "nice" piece on MidTown, but at least it's a start. Hopefully the media is/will notice that there is life outside of Bricktown. Hopefully one day we can teach them how to do real journalism.

The 1492 restaurant at 12th and Walker is set to open the second week in September. The city claims that they will be done with the street work by then. I also noticed that Banta has started remodeling the other buildings on Walker. The workers said that they have to be done in time for the businesses to be open by Thanksgiving so maybe we will have quite a few more restaurants in time for the holidays.

I just drove by 1492 today and noticed all the tables are set up, with cloth napkins already in place. So I would guess the opening may even be sooner than the second week in September. I'm really looking forward to this restaurant.

Lightbulb Re: Midtown Update!!

Please help me understand that Banta Co. and Bob Howards ambition in the area? 21 Million has been spent thus far, back when this blog was started, yet the amount of real-estate they own is unbelivable. I get wanting to revitalized a complete district, however, it does not seem to be very successful to date. There are many projects undercontruction but it does not show signs of being rented/leased out.

Does anyone else feel that this company and Mr. Howard have gotten in over their heads on this project?

I ask because Oklahoma County growth has only been 1.6 percent population growth over the past year. This is a very slow growing economy and has been for many years. We do not have a lot of big business (I dont mean Lowes, Home Depot, BN, CVS, Walgreens, etc cause we all know the is an abundance of those). I am talking big corporations like Devon and Chesapeake. I agree those two corporations are huge, but the dont make up the jobs that were lost by GM closing. You are talking hundreds of manufactoring jobs lost that paid in excess of $20.00 per hour.

I don't even see how the developers in the Triangle District and Bricktown expect to sell their units. DON'T FORGET THAT WHEN YOU HEAR THE UNITS ARE ALL SOLD, EVERYONE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT CLASSEN TOWER... I am not saying its not true but make sure you investigate what you hear unless you actually see the report from the company.

My biggest fear is this high-rollers not succeed from buying to much to quick, because it could cause economic turn downs in a slow paced growth economy.

I would like to hear everyone else's opinions on the Banta Co.

I think all of the projects that Banta has started on are almost completely leased up. Plaza Court only has two small spaces available and the buildings on Walker are all leased. They also announced recently that they signed up Office Depot and are waiting on building permits to begin construction. As far as the rest of the properties I think that they are just being slow and methodical so that they don't make any mistakes. They have stated that they are treating this as one large development which takes more time to put together than if you are just trying to finish one building. Also, If you have been in any of the buildings that they have remodeled I think that you will find that they are exceptional. You are also talking about properties that have been empty for years. No telling what they found once they opened them up. It takes a lot of time to get all of your architectural and engineering done plus you have to get through several layers at the city before you can do any work. In listening to Banta speak at different functions, he is still excited about the potential of the projects and is trying to make Midtown something special. He doesn't act like someone who is trying to make a quick buck and leave. I think he is trying to leave his mark on the area and have something that he is proud of in the future.

My husband and I toured the Classen a couple of weeks ago just for a looksee and they only had 5 units left. I have to admit we were tempted even though they don't fit our lifestyle at this time.

18. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    My husband and I toured the Classen a couple of weeks ago just for a looksee and they only had 5 units left. I have to admit we were tempted even though they don't fit our lifestyle at this time.
    I'm kinda skeptical of that... Sounds like a sales pitch to get you to commit on the spot.

Although if it's true, that's great news!

That may be true but there were definitely people milling around the place. The guy giving us the tour was well aware that we were not going to be leasing there any time soon since we have 2 teenagers and the only units left are only 2 beds and not really practical for us.

I wrote Banta Cos. about installing bike racks at some of their MidTown properties for all us downtowners who like to be able to walk or ride a bike to things. I also suggested that Urban Outfitters would be perfect for either of their buildings on the NW or NE corners of Broadway and 10th. Here is what they replied back:

Thank you for your interest in Midtown. We are looking into the bike racks already and we appreciate your tenant suggestions. I have forwarded the names to our retail broker. We are very excited about the development of Midtown.

Thanks again for your email.

Dave Ortenburger

President

21. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I have heard that Devon and Saint Anthony will make a joint announcement at 10:30AM on Monday October 15th, that will have a positive impact on Midtown. I don't know what the nature of the announcement is.

Banta's retail and restaurant row on Walker is really starting to come together. The exterisors of rest of the buildings should be completed in a month or so. Next on the street will be the major changes in use planned for the Osler Building on the east side.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Did anyone hear what the news was about this mornings 10:30am press conference? All I heard on the 8:00am news was that it was going to be some sort of beautification partnership announcement between the two mentioned above. I've searched on JR, OKCBusiness, newsok, and the other local news outlets websites and can't seem to find anything yet.

I drove down Walker today, the buildings north of 1492 now have windows and the exteriors were being painted by a spray gun. They should be taking shape very soon. Here is the latest with today's Devon/Saints announcement.

OKC's Devon Energy, St. Anthony’s Hospital announce renovation project
    By Pamela Grady - 10/15/2007

St. Anthony Hospital President Joe Hodges today announced a major beautification project intended to enhance the hospital campus and spur Midtown’s ongoing renaissance.

“The contributions that St. Anthony is making today are invaluable to the city’s continued growth, development and prosperities,” said Devon President John Richels. “It’s our honor and responsibility as an Oklahoma City-based company to support community initiatives that enhance the quality of life for our employees, their families and all the citizens of this great city.”

The plaza will enhance the hospital campus and spur Midtown’s ongoing renaissance, the hospital said in a statement. It will provide more convenient access with a boulevard-style drive and surface-level parking area surrounded by trees, modern sculpture, park benches and other landscaping.

Slated to be complete in early 2008, the project will be funded through a $500,000 contribution from Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy Corp. It will serve the hospital’s east entrances as well as the entrance of the adjacent physicians’ building currently under construction.

Flintco Construction is the general contractor and ADG designed the project.

Work is under way for a plaza at Oklahoma City’s St. Anthony Hospital made possible by a $500,000 donation from Devon Energy Corp. Visitors to the east side of the hospital will be greeted by a boulevard-style drive surrounded by trees and benches in a landscaped area. The project is in line with a more than $200 million renovation and renewal project at the hospital. Work is set for completion early next year.

Devon donates to plaza at St. Anthony Hospital

October 16, 2007
    Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – Thanks to a monetary donation by Devon Energy Corp., St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City will add a plaza in addition to other hospital renovations.

On Monday, Devon pledged $500,000 for construction of the Devon Energy Plaza, which will serve the hospital’s east entrances and an adjacent $15 million physicians building that is still under construction.

The plaza will incorporate a boulevard-style drive as well as a surface parking area surrounded by trees, sculptures, park benches and landscaped areas. Work began on the plaza in recent months and is set for completion early next year.

John Richels, president of Devon, said the company was approached by the fundraising committee at the hospital to help with the project.“They came to us with this idea and talked to us about the very, very significant investment that the St. Anthony foundation is making in the expansion of their campus and asked us if we would participate with them in the building of this plaza,” Richels said.

Devon has been a contributor to many downtown projects including more than $250,000 donated to the Myriad Gardens Foundation for the renovation of the Water Stage at the Myriad Botanical Gardens. Now Richels said the company wants to expand its presence, and giving, to Midtown.“This was pretty much in line with our philosophy of helping to support this downtown and Midtown community,” he said. “This has more to do with the resurgence of Oklahoma City and our view of our role and responsibility and being a good corporate citizen particularly in downtown and Midtown.”Other contributors to the plaza include the Oklahoma Radiology Group PC, which gave $200,000 and the Inasmuch Foundation, which donated $250,000 toward the plaza.

Sheradee Hurst, spokeswoman for St. Anthony, said the renovations on the hospital began late last year. Architectural Design Group is the architect for the more than $200 million hospital renovation and renewal project.

The hospital approached Devon with a design for the plaza, including artwork voted on by members of the community who voted in the hospital’s lobby. In recent years the hospital decided not only to remain in Midtown but to expand its presence in the area. Recent developments have also brought restaurants, retail and housing to the area.

“St. Anthony Hospital has been here for 109 years, and this project demonstrates our commitment to remain in Midtown,” said Joe Hodges, St. Anthony Hospital president. “While health care is our top priority, we understand the correlation between trust and appearance. We are excited about this addition and the meaningful impact it will have on the lives of the people who come here.”The focus of the Devon Plaza will be easier access and convenience for patients, but also provide a peaceful setting for those seeking medical attention and treatment.“It’s going to be great for us and great for this community,” Hurst said. “Part of the healing process is feeling comfortable where you’re going. It’s going to look like a place you want to go to get health care.”

Prarie Thunder Bakery in Plaza Court sure has been shaping up the last few days. They've got tables and chairs now and I've seen the owners in there working late at night. If they aren't open by the end of October then something is wrong. Can't wait to see them open.

Thread Information