Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown

1. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

What's the site?

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

3. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

They apparently have a 200 sq ft office somewhere in MidTown. Is that big enough?

10X20 sounds more like a jail cell to me.

5. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

No, I think we need much more than that.

6. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

At Irma's new Plaza Court location, the neon beer signs are all shining and a note chalked on a small blackboard near the bar appears to be a reminder to the staff that "WE OPEN MONDAY".
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

I drove by Irma's last night and it looked good to go and the signs posted on the wall stated we open Thursday July 5th. I drove by again today in regards to the rumors that they were opening today as part of a "soft opening". No such thing. They did have their staff there and it appeared they were doing training. But the doors were locked. Looks like they will be opening on Thursday. Too bad they can't open before July 4th with all the huge crowds downtown for fireworks, concerts, ballgame, etc.

Also, I spoke with the owners of the Prarie Thunder Bakery as they were there on site last evening. Their oven has arrived from France and it is at a port in Florida. They have to go down and get it and truck it up. They recently sheetrocked the place, but he said due to the humidity, the mud and tape isn't sticking, etc. He's estimating they will be open late summer or early fall. He did mentioned they plain on having a deli/lunch menu cookies, coffee and that sort of thing. Should be a smaller, more localized and specialized version of Panera Bread from the sound of it.

FYI Irma's opened up today. I didn't go at lunch, I figured I'd wait a week or so and let them get some kinks out. If anyone goes, please do a review in the Food Court section.

9. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    FYI Irma's opened up today. I didn't go at lunch, I figured I'd wait a week or so and let them get some kinks out. If anyone goes, please do a review in the Food Court section.
    If they did, they weren't open long. I drove by about 1:00 and the signs on the doors had Thursday scratched out. Friday looks like their Plaza Court coming out.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

the guy that runs the bicycle shop downtown told me that a "deep fork" and iguana lounge are opening on Broadway around 10th-ish

remember iguana lounge on western, i always loved that joint.

this would be the beginning of restaurant row in downtown, anyone heard of this, it'll be great alternate options to Prime.

11. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Hmmm.

Iguana Lounge resurrected?

I heard that these were going on 10th Street....possibly at 10th and Robinson.

That would be very cool indeed

Iguana's margaritas and different salsas were well worth the drive up north

Would be extremely happy if they do reopen

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    I heard that these were going on 10th Street....possibly at 10th and Robinson.
    I know that Banta has plans (or hopes) to have a restaurant to anchor the corner of the Packard building.

Quote Originally Posted by Turanacus View Post
    the guy that runs the bicycle shop downtown told me that a "deep fork" and iguana lounge are opening on Broadway around 10th-ish

remember iguana lounge on western, i always loved that joint.

this would be the beginning of restaurant row in downtown, anyone heard of this, it'll be great alternate options to Prime.
    I know Steve Mason (owner of Earl's) owns a building at Broadway & 9th; he was in the old Iquana deal at some time, so I do think it is a possiblity. I have not heard of the Deep Fork Group doing anything on Automobile Alley, but it wouldn't surprise me. I say "The more the Merrrier" on Broadway.

I ate at the new Irma's today for lunch and I wrote a food review in the food court for those interested.

Also, I took pictures of 1492 tonight. Go to my gallery to check out pictures. I don't know what is the holdup here, the place has seemed ready to go for weeks besides the fact there are no tables and chairs, other than that I don't see a hold-up. As you can kind of tell in my picture, they have recently installed LED lighting outside. I've noticed more and more places downtown going with the LEd lighting that can change colors. I'm glad to see the upgraded improvements. Stay tuned for more updates later this week.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showg...500&ppuser=204

They are waiting for the street repairs to be completed.

Makes sense. You figure they would have all their chairs, tables, and fixtures good to go though. The inside is essentially finished other than that. Heck, they could even do some training to be up and ready. The street repairs are close to wrapping up.

Why did the old Iquana close on Western?

Why hasn't anyone taken up that space?

I did some more investigative journalism today. The space I mentioned a week or two ago that I noticed was being renovated (i.e. the former Sign Guy) on Classen between NW 7-8th is going to be Ace Bookbinding. They already have a location in the area and are rehabbing this building and moving into it. Either way, it sure helps clean up this part of Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Why did the old Iquana close on Western?

Why hasn't anyone taken up that space?
    The old Iguana space on Western is in horrible disrepair. It really needs to be scraped!!!

Jerry Marshall owns that Iguana property as well as the Hideaway and Earl's Ribs along with some parking behind all of them.

However, Chesapeake has been acquiring property all along there... I bet they are in negotiations with Marshall.

Irma's Burger Shack opens second location

By Trisha Evans
    Business Writer
    The signs are not yet up at the new Irma's Burger Shack in Plaza Court, but the smell of flame-kissed burgers welcome patrons just the same.
    Irma's opened in a second location, 1120 Classen Drive, last week and business is already steady, said co-owner Linda Lee.

"For me this is the mark of success. For independent restaurants like us, not a lot of us open (restaurant) No. 2,” she said.

But besides the larger size and openness of the restaurant, not much will change, Lee said. Customers still can count on the hand-cut French fries, home-made onion rings, freshly-made gravy — and of course, the famous burgers.

The first Irma's opened in 2003, and having another footprint in Oklahoma City has been on the owners' minds the last two years. But it was the customers' influence coupled with a good opportunity that led them to Midtown.

"Really and truly, I guess we kind of found the place before we knew we were going to expand,” she said.

Lee said they were approached about opening a second restaurant in Plaza Court, and the demographics really fit.

"We already had a lot of customers at the first Irma's who live down here and in Heritage Hills,” she said. "They kept asking us, when are you going to open a restaurant closer to us?”

So far, customers seem to be excited, Lee said. The lunch crowd is fantastic, but the dinner and weekend business leaves a lot to be desired, she said. The adjacent Boulevard Cafeteria is closed on Saturdays, and the nearby Subway restaurant is closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Still, neighbors are dropping by to welcome the restaurant to Midtown.

Sister Veronica Higgins, principal at Villa Teresa School, tried the restaurant the first time Friday. She said she thinks the restaurant will be a hit with the employees of St. Anthony Hospital down the street.

Oklahoma City residents Marla McBryde and son Patrick McBryde are frequent Irma's customers and said Irma's in Plaza Court is more convenient for them.

"We like the ambiance and the casual atmosphere. It's family friendly,” Marla McBryde said. "I really like the burgers. They're lean and have a lot of flavor.”

"They also have really good fries and fired okra. I haven't had their desserts, but the fried okra is usually my dessert,” she added.

Patrick McBryde said he likes to order the NoName burger because it's chemical free. The meat is from the NoName Ranch near Wynnewood.

"There are no hormones and no pesticides. It's healthier,” he said.

Irma's has quite a following for the NoName burger, Lee said. It's all-natural meat with no fillers and is seasoned in the restaurant with Irma's secret recipe.

Lee said the new restaurant will also continue to use a number of made-in-Oklahoma products including Field's Pecan Pies, Schwab's meat and Choc beer.

And much like the flagship restaurant, Irma's in Plaza Court will be a place to cure the day's ills.

"It's kind of our slogan. We feel like, if you have a bad day — a good burger and a cold beer will change things,” Lee said

Owner Linda Lee in Irma's Burger Shack's new location at 1120 Classen Drive. BY CHRIS LANDSBERGER, the oklahoman

Quick update, I ate at Irma's Burger Shack II again last night. They got their official sign hung up outside yesterday. It looks nice. I took pics and will post later today.

25. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

how was the food?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information