Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown

1. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Actually, I forgot to pay my membership dues last years, so I'm embarassed to say I haven't had a copy of that agenda for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    It must fit right in to you old-guard, liberal, elitist agenda then, Steve. I mean COME! ONNNNNNN!!!

2. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

But to me it's a no brainer that between office workers in the day and tourists and concert goers and teenagers at night that for a basic fast food place like that you are going to do killer business.

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

MidTown future still hangs
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    Oklahoman
    Main Street

Almost two months have passed since Greg Banta sold his shares in his MidTown Renaissance development to partners Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg. At the time, Clagg promised he and Howard would discuss the future of the project the following week.

Clagg then asked for a one-week delay, explaining Howard was out of town. The next week they were too busy to talk. Ditto for the next week.

What was said?
    After repeated interview requests, the following response was sent by Clagg and Howard via email:
    Steve

I want to thank you for your continued interest in our project. I hope you can appreciate, with over 30 buildings and multiple parcels of land, it will take more time for us to evaluate what kind of use would be appropriate for each project. It is not my practice to make premature announcements but I will assure you we are fully committed to the completion of these projects.

Bob

So we're left waiting a while longer. But here's what we do know: a building that was previously set to be home to Gaijun Sushi has stood empty for weeks, with construction either finished or halted before Banta's departure from MidTown. A sign promotes the future arrival of the MidTown Deli at the nearby Walker Shops, another MidTown Renaissance project, but no other work can be spotted inside that building either.

All signs of construction have stopped at a former Packard dealership at 201 NW 10, an adjoining former garage at 1117 N Robinson Ave., and the Osler Building at NW 11 and Walker Avenue.

The MidTown Renaissance banners have disappeared (not surprising, since they also were stamped with "The Banta Companies”).

What's ahead?
    In the weeks after Banta's withdrawal, LoopNet - #1 in Commercial Real Estate Online, a national real estate listing website, showed the following MidTown Renaissance properties up for sale: 1100 N Broadway, 1101 N Broadway, 1117 N Robinson Ave., The Shartel Professional Building at 1226 N Shartel, Hadden Hall at 215 NW 10, and 901 NW 13.
    Another search this last week, however, indicates those listings have been removed.

MidTown has definitely turned the corner. The district is alive with new restaurants, shops, offices and residences. But, with a handful of buildings gutted and prepared for renovation now sitting still, without any new word from Howard and Clagg, the future remains uncertain.

Much of MidTown's future is in the hands of Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg. And so far, they're not talking. By Steve Lackmeyer, The Oklahoman

Thanks to Steve for staying so persistent on this story.

It sounds to me like Howard & Clagg immediately stopped all work then tried to sell the buildings. And perhaps pulled them back off the market once they didn't fetch the prices they had hoped.

I'm still very worried about who is going to replace Banta's vision, passion and motivation when it comes to Midtown.

The properties in question had been on Loop Net for several months. It appeared that Banta was marketing the properties for sale through Banta Realty and once he was no longer involved he dropped the listings. This is a large project and I am confident that Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg are committed to Midtown. They are the type that will take their time and do it right. I'm sure that they are just taking a deep breath and trying to decide the best way to move forward. You have to remember that they were not the guys on the front line and I'm sure that they are just wanting to make good decisions on their investements.

trison, those properties only appeared right before Banta announced his departure from the development group.

I really hope you are right about Howard & Clagg but why would they completely stop all work, including tenant build-outs?

I really think they were on Loop Net for some time. Banta had a booth at the CREC Real Estate Forecast held earlier this year and was handing out brochures showing the properties listed for sale.....so who knows???? As far as the build outs for the two restaurant tenants my understanding was that the tenants were responsible for their own build out not the property owners so the inactivity would be due to the tenants not Howard and Clagg.

But the work stoppage begs the question: Why would tenants -- who presumably have already sunk a bunch of money into their respective spaces -- suddenly both just stop making improvements at the same time of this ownership change?

And why did Banta leave anyway? He had invested a lot of blood, sweat and tears into these projects... And he seemed very committed to moving them forward, as opposed to just sitting on them.

I think they own too much property to develop it all. They need to sell off properties to different owners and focus on a few places to turn over.

10. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

There was a big article on Banta in OKC business a couple of weeks back. I think a lot of people missed it and the only reason I caught it was because they started delivering it to my house for some reason.

In the interview section, Banta talked a bit about what we will see happen in the near future and that's the Packard buildout, which Clagg & Co. are moving forward with as another Plaza Court type concept. Allegedly.

11. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaijin has backed out on their own. I don't think the Park Harvey location has been a bust by any means, but it hasn't been super busy either.

12. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gaijin has backed out on their own. I don't think the Park Harvey location has been a bust by any means, but it hasn't been super busy either.
    I for one think we're better off if this is the case. The sushi market seems pretty saturated.

There are now "For Lease" signs in the spot that Gaijin was going to occupy.

Quote Originally Posted by centralparker View Post
    There are now "For Lease" signs in the spot that Gaijin was going to occupy.
    The guy who owns Gaijin really put a lot of work into fixing up that building...I guess he ran out of money which is too bad since I think he would have done better in that location than the one he is in now.

Several Midtown projects moving forward again
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record December 19, 2008

KLAHOMA CITY – Work is set to begin after the first of the year on several Midtown buildings that were part of Greg Banta’s former Midtown Renaissance project.

Since Banta sold his share of the project to his partners Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg in August, the fate of many of the projects has been uncertain. For months, Clagg and Howard were reticent on the subject.

Mark Krittenbrink, of Norman-based Krittenbrink Architecture, said he has been involved in several of the Midtown projects since July.

Krittenbrink is working on properties at 1217 and 1221 N. Francis, 905 and 909 NW 12th St., and 1100 N. Broadway Ave., in addition to the Guardian, Cline and Hadden Hall buildings in and around Midtown.

Now Krittenbrink said Clagg and Howard are ready to move forward on several projects.
    “Their whole thing is ‘we have been spinning our wheels on these projects forever, we just want to get them moving,’” Krittenbrink said.

One of the most visible projects is a two-story building built in 1929 at 1100 N. Broadway Ave.

The first floor of the more-than-20,000-square-foot building, a former car dealership, had been gutted, but Krittenbrink said the upper floor looks just as it did when the building was first constructed.

Apartments are also in the cards for four buildings.

The buildings at 905 and 909 NW 12th St. are set for luxury apartments. The Cline and Hadden Hall buildings will have a mix of studios and one- and two-bedroom apartments.

Krittenbrink said Clagg and Howard are not currently planning condos in those buildings.

“They felt like now there’s a need for downtown dwelling units and this fills a niche that isn’t being filled in newer construction,” Krittenbrink said. “What they’re trying to do between all their properties is try to create a mix of apartment types to have a broad appeal.”

The buildings at 1217 and 1221 N. Francis are set for residential and office space.

Signs on the projects are expected to go up next week, Krittenbrink said, and several of the projects should be in some state of renovation by the end of January, following applications for building permits after the first of the year.

MidTown construction moves ahead with renovations of historic buildings
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: December 19, 2008

Windows are returning to 201 NW 10, a two-story building built in 1925 that was once home to a Packard dealership.PHOTO BY STEVE LACKMEYER, THE OKLAHOMAN

Construction is picking up again in MidTown, with Mickey Clagg and Bob Howard moving forward with renovations of several buildings purchased as part of their MidTown Renaissance development.

The most visible work under way is at 201 NW 10, a two-story building built in 1925 that was once home to a Packard dealership. Windows are being added to the property, which was boarded up for more than 30 years before it was acquired by the MidTown Renaissance development in 2006.

"We’re looking for a nice restaurant for the corner with shop space along 10th,” Clagg said.

Project motors on
    Preparations also are underway to do a similar renovation at 1101 N Broadway. The building, built in 1929, was originally home to the Chieftain Motor Co. and is at the crossroads of Automobile Alley and the MidTown area.

Architect Mark Krittenbrink said the building is in "perfect” condition, though the showroom windows on the building’s first floor were replaced long ago with plywood.

Krittenbrink said the developers are working with the state historic preservation office on restoring the windows and securing tax credits for the building renovation.

"It’s a great building,” Krittenbrink said. "It was built as a car dealership and it has the ramp that was built in the back and the nice showroom in the front. It’s in the heart of Automobile Alley.”

Clagg said he has no tenants lined up yet for 1100 N Broadway, though he has interested parties for turning another old dealership across the street at 1101 N Broadway into Class-A office space.

Duplex makeovers set
    Krittenbrink said construction permits should be filed next week for old duplexes along NW 12 that will be renovated into luxury apartments. Clagg said similar plans are underway for the old Cline hotel, Hadden Hall and Guardian garage, all along NW 10 and Robinson.

Clagg said a common area that will include a pool is being planned for Hadden Hall and the Guardian garage.

"It’s all about to start jamming,” Krittenbrink said. "The project signs go up next week. We’ll be meeting with contractors next week. I would think we’ll see some dirt moving and action by the end of January.”

17. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I'm glad to see they are still moving ahead with all this.

18. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

News we needed. I am fired up again.

Me too, just wonder what ole Banta is up to these days.

MidTown’s ‘restaurant row’ mushrooms with new deli
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: June 3, 2009

A pair of suburbanites who admit having little history downtown are the latest additions to MidTown, helping solidify the emergence of a true "restaurant row” along Walker Avenue.

The deli’s opening two weeks ago fulfills a longtime dream for the Lindsays, who initially hoped to open their first business in northwest Oklahoma City.
    "That’s where we live and that’s the area we’ve known,” Bridget Lindsay said. "We fell in love with a location but it didn’t work out.”

Banta’s vision

The couple decided to "think outside the box” and contacted Greg Banta, who pioneered development of MidTown until selling his interests to partners Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg last year.

Banta was already developing the 1100 block of N Walker, including the former home of Reeser’s Eyewear.

"Banta did a magnificent job here with the outside of the building,” Bridget Lindsay said.

Dan Lindsay said even with the building’s interior stripped down to cinder blocks and a concrete floor, he had no trouble catching Banta’s vision.

The building is set up for two concepts: Dan Lindsay is promoting the deli with its Boars Head meats, salad bar and French bread pizzas for lunches, and sees it transitioning into a neighborhood bar with an abbreviated menu at night.

A ‘local’ alternative

With Clagg and Howard continuing redevelopment of MidTown and renovating several buildings into offices and residences, the Lindsays believe the area is emerging as a "local” alternative to Bricktown.

"The energy is awesome,” Bridget Lindsay said.

"I think of Bricktown as catering to the tourists, and it has so much to offer.
    But I love that MidTown has so much to offer to our local community. It’s a ‘for us, by us’ mentality.”

http://newsok.com/midtowns-restauran...ad_story_title

Dan and Bridget Lindsey stand Wednesday in the bar area of their new restaurant, MidTown Deli, 1215 N Walker Ave. PHOTO BY JACONNA AGUIRRE, THE OKLAHOMAN

MidTown Deli serves its signature sandwich, the "Monterey Club.”PHOTO BY JACONNA AGUIRRE, THE OKLAHOMAN

MidTown Deli opened recently at 1215 N Walker Ave. PHOTO BY JACONNA AGUIRRE, THE OKLAHOMAN

Looks very slick!

I love all these places owned by locals and that are effectively great neighborhood hangouts.

23. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Drove by it last night- Midtown Deli looks awesome. Very multi-purpose.

Good food, you should go check it out. They use Boar's Head deli meats and have a good salad bar as well. Had a beer at the bar on Fri. - they have a good, but small, selection but they are expanding their beer offerings and told me they will offer OKC crafted brews soon.

Here's a pic I snapped today on my phone at lunch of the building being restored at 11th and Francis. I will try and snap some pics of the other buildings soon.

Thread Information