Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Default Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Let's make this thread a repository of comments from out of state media regarding the Big 12 Tournament being in Oklahoma City.

I'll start with the Wichita Eagle...

Wichita Eagle | 03/08/2007 | Big 12 makes OKC debut

Some quotes...

"It will be hard to ignore Oklahoma City, which will host the first and second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Ford Center in 2010. Already, there were 3,000 more fans than the Big 12 has ever had at the opening game of the women's tournament at the Cox Convention Center on Tuesday, a clear signal the city is embracing the event."

Edited to add: If local news outlets interview out of towners, go ahead and post those quotes here too.

2. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Tulsa World

Tulsa World

Here's the beginning of it.....

OKLAHOMA CITY -- If you're a Tulsan with even a tad of civic pride, the jealousy factor kicks in shortly after you exit the Turner Turnpike and drive to the heart of this city

If you're a Tulsan who knows what might have been in your city, this malady of envy will double by Thursday when the men's portion of the Big 12 Conference basketball tournament tips off at the Ford Center.

3. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

http://www.dfw.com/288/story/29985.html

A tease:

First of all, my guess is that the Oklahoma City experience is going to be a big hit. The only people who are going to be disappointed come Sunday are the valet parking attendants, who aren't going to get many tips.

Everything is right here.

The arenas for the men's and women's sessions are right across the street from each other. Those sage enough to have reserved rooms in one of the downtown hotels can walk to the games.

Bricktown is a block away, offering a variety of restaurants, some places where distilled beverages can be found and a couple of music venues -- from blues to country. Or so I hear.

Oklahoma City's first time as host is going to be a smash.

Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Tulsa World

Tulsa World

Here's the beginning of it.....

OKLAHOMA CITY -- If you're a Tulsan with even a tad of civic pride, the jealousy factor kicks in shortly after you exit the Turner Turnpike and drive to the heart of this city

If you're a Tulsan who knows what might have been in your city, this malady of envy will double by Thursday when the men's portion of the Big 12 Conference basketball tournament tips off at the Ford Center.
    Tulsa
    y
    p
    i
    c
    a
    l

Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

I can't find it now, but earlier I read an article in the Oklahoman with some good comments from some Iowa State fans who made the trip to OKC.

6. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, Luke, but anyway:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    CN Exclusive: More Big 12 Tournament Audio

By Jonathan Narcisse
    Cyclone Nation staff writer
    Posted Mar 8, 2007

Not all of us have the means and vacaton time available to follow our favorite team down to Oklahoma City for the Big 12 Tournament. However, that doesn't mean you have to totally miss out on the goings on. Click here to hear from your fellow Cyclone fans that made the trek south for the big event.

The Iowa State-Nebraska women's game was one for the ages. Hopefully the ISU-Oklahoma will be one, too.

Whether it is or isn't, however, isn't as important. The fan experience already is. For the first time in my life I've attended a Big 12 Championship. The press conferences are impressive. The media feed is impressive. The support services for the media is impressive. As I said, I'm easily impressed.

What's really impressive, however, is the games are only a fraction of what takes place at these events. Don't get me wrong, for the coaches and players the game isn't everything, it's the only thing. Enjoying the nightlife, the pep rallies, and the riverwalk isn't important. Being prepared to compete and leave it all out there is what counts. For the coaches and the players.

For the fans the games are just treats to go with the meal. Before I continue let me say how impressed I am with downtown Oklahoma City. WOW!!! It's just a really cool environment. From a major downtown theater to the classy night spots to the amazing riverwalk it's just a really nice place to enjoy yourself. And the fans I encountered really were enjoying themselves.

One fan broke down the final plays of the women's game with the kind of expertise you often don't find in the announcers both. He was, yes, impressive. Others could care less about women's basketball but they love the men. And others still couldn't care about ISU sports, they just enjoy the festivities. Regardless it's about the journey,
    not the destination.

I spent Wednesday evening into Thursday morning at Tapwerks, the Big 12 Cyclone headquarters. It's a really nice place. Personally I'd have rather had Toby Keith's but that's just because I listen to his music all the time. I don't think the Clones could have found a better establishment in Oklahoma City.

The following are interviews conducted with ISU fans at Tapwerks throughout the evening. Some are more insightful than others but it was a good time and a glimpse into the fan experience that keeps so many coming back again, and again, and again.

(Links to interviews with ISU fans, which I have not heard yet).
    Continue the Renaissance

7. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I can't find it now, but earlier I read an article in the Oklahoman with some good comments from some Iowa State fans who made the trip to OKC.
    I quoted that in another thread. I think the Mr. Monday thread. They said we outshine KC.

8. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

I've been trying to find some national articles but not much luck..

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow night.. that's when I want to go... any suggestions to avoid the $15 parking?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

9. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

walk from a meter in the CBD

The problem is that it's been my experience that they randomly check those, actually.

11. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

but after 6 they don't run

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    walk from a meter in the CBD
    That's what I always do when I go to Bricktown or anywhere downtown at night, although it might be more difficult now that the Skirvin is open. I enjoy the walk through the CBD, which is often pretty desolate, and then after you go under the tracks, bam you see people everywhere.

13. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

From the Houston Chronicle, in an AP story by Murray Evans widely reported around the country, No. 11 Oklahoma advances to Big 12 final | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Thursday night's semifinal session at the Cox Convention Center drew 10,102 fans, the fourth-largest for any session in the tournament's 11-year history. It was the second straight tournament session that drew more than 10,000 fans and it put the Big 12 over the 1 million mark in home attendance for the second time in league history.

With a current combined attendance of 1,003,722, the league broke its own NCAA single-season record. The tournament attendance of 36,577 already has broken the league mark of 35,619, set in 2003 in Dallas.

Most of those fans Thursday were wearing Oklahoma colors.

"It's a huge advantage, obviously," Coale said. "It's convenient that we're here (in Oklahoma City) but I think they would have followed us anywhere."
    Kansas City Star (subsription required): Kansas City Star | 03/09/2007 | One and done? Not if OKC has its way

One and done? Not if OKC has its way
    Centrally located Oklahoma City thinks the Big 12 basketball tourneys should be a local staple.
    By BLAIR KERKHOFF
    The Kansas City Star

RICH SUGG | THE KANSAS CITY STAR
    Oklahoma City is doing its best to cater to fans, with the hope of becoming a sports destination.

Outside the Cox Convention Center, two oversized brackets keep fans updated on the progress of the Big 12 men’s and women’s tournaments. It’s the first time Oklahoma City has been the host.

Next year, Jayhawks and Wildcats will converge on the Sprint Center. But on Thursday at a “tailgate party,” Traci Cole (right) said Oklahoma City’s effort was “pretty nice.”

OKLAHOMA CITY | Surely it was nothing more than a coincidence. The unveiling of a 20-foot-high street clock, just north of the Ford Center, served as Oklahoma City’s public welcoming of the Big 12 Conference men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

As the balloons flew and the band struck up “Oklahoma!” you could see the gleam in Mayor’s Mick Cornett’s eyes.

Cue the symbolism. Oklahoma City’s time has come.

This week, Big 12 officials started the process of awarding future sites. Oklahoma City isn’t waiting for the final horn to sound on its first Big 12 hoop experience to ponder its options.

It wants in.

“For us to elbow our way in to get an event that’s been going to Kansas City and Dallas is significant,” Cornett said. “This has placed us on a new plateau, and we’d like to be part of the Big 12’s future.”

So does Kansas City, which plays host to the tournaments next year with the men playing at the Sprint Center and the women at Municipal Auditorium.

The event hasn’t been awarded beyond 2008.

For years, this state’s coaches — from former Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson to Sooners women’s coach Sherri Coale to former Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton — swore the championships would be a smash hit in Oklahoma. They pointed to the state’s passion for sports, especially college games.

NCAA tournaments played to full houses. The softball College World Series and Big 12 baseball tournaments are anchored in Oklahoma City.

But a weeklong basketball event in Oklahoma City wasn’t possible until 2002, when the Ford Center opened for business, giving the city buildings to host the men’s and women’s events. The Cox Convention Center, formerly the Myriad, sits across the street.

“The proximity of the venues make this a fan’s paradise,” Coale said.

Thursday, the men’s tournament caught something of a break when it came to making an early impression. The local teams would have preferred waiting a day to start, joining the top-seeded teams, but ninth-seeded Oklahoma opened the men’s tournament by defeating Iowa State. Seventh-seeded Oklahoma State beat Nebraska in the evening session.

It made for a better-than-usual opening day crowd, and Sooners guard David Godbold played the edge for all it was worth, imploring the partisan crowd to urge on the Sooners in the final moments of a close game.

Fans outside the Ford Center could watch the action on big-screen televisions and party on closed Reno Avenue, which borders Bricktown, the city’s entertainment district. The visitors liked the setup.

“I was pretty excited when I heard it was coming here,” said Tim Puvogel, a Kansas fan from Salina, Kan. “It’s a doable drive, and the city seems excited about it.”

That’s music to Cornett’s ears. He sees the tournaments not just as a weeklong boost to the local economy but as an opportunity to promote Oklahoma City as a sporting event destination.

“We had the Olympic Festival here in 1989, but I’d call this the biggest convention-like sports event in the city’s history, maybe the state’s history,” he said. “It validates our city’s renaissance.”
    • • •
    When it comes to geography, the Big 12 venue competition has always been tilted toward Kansas City.

For the marquee basketball tournaments and the football championship game, several Texas cities — Dallas, Houston and San Antonio — typically showed interest. Each has played host to a football game, and the title game returns to the Alamodome in December.

Dallas has been the only Texas site for hoops, but the others have wanted in as well.

Among northern locations for football and basketball, there’s been only Kansas City, at least after St. Louis stopped showing much interest.

One event for Dallas, one for Kansas City. One for Houston, one for Kansas City — and that’s how Kansas City wound up with more of the league’s crown jewel events, with seven of the first 10 basketball tournaments and four football games.

With its centralized location, Oklahoma City could change the dynamic. The average distance from Big 12 campuses to Oklahoma City is 55 miles closer than it is to Kansas City.

“You can get here in less than a day’s drive from anywhere in the Big 12,” Cornett said. “It’s the only place in the Big 12 where that’s possible.”

Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg said he doesn’t sense the interest from schools to lock into permanent sites, such as Kansas City for basketball and Dallas for football.

“Many of those I talk to believe there is less value for a single site for a sport,” Weiberg said. “Moving it around, I think, is the way to go.”

Kansas City has always been in line, and thinks its position has never been stronger with the Sprint Center and the Power & Light District set to open later this year.

“In the past, we had to manufacture our amenities, set up tents or put the entertainment in Hale Arena,” said Kansas City Sports Commission Executive Director Kevin Gray. “We’re in a position to put our best foot forward.”

Dallas as a future basketball site is less certain. Dave Brown, general manager of the American Airlines Center, said he wanted to keep college balls bouncing in his building. He’s proposed playing both the women’s and men’s tournaments there, a prospect the league might consider given the uncertain future of Reunion Arena, site of the women’s tournament. Reunion is expected to be shut down by 2008.

“That’s a possibility,” Weiberg said. “We would lay out in our request for proposal the format and dates we anticipate using, but we don’t want to stifle the creativity of a city. We’ll listen to new ideas.”
    • • •
    A difference in this round of championship site proposals is more certainty in the venues.

Over the past few years, the Big 12 resisted awarding future sites beyond one year because it didn’t know how voters would react to proposals to the new basketball arena in Kansas City and football stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Now that the Sprint Center is nearly a reality and the new football stadium to be operated by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is to open in 2009, the Big 12 can move forward. Weiberg said it’s possible for championship sites to be awarded through 2013 with an announcement as early as the league’s annual May meetings.

Weiberg said he’s heard good things about Oklahoma City but the important feedback comes after the tournament from the schools. The league office wants to know about fan experiences. One concern about Oklahoma City was the number of quality hotel rooms in the downtown area.

“Some people think having to stay in Norman (20 miles away) is too far,” Weiberg said. “But we’ll know more about that in the next few weeks.”

The $89.1 million Ford Center doesn’t have the amenities of the $420 million American Airlines Center in Dallas or the $276 million Sprint Center. But the building, which has played host to the NBA Hornets during their New Orleans relocation for two seasons, doesn’t work against Oklahoma City, and the Myriad is an ideal size and setting for the women.

Cornett can recite a list of several more of his city’s advantages, and they’ll all go in Oklahoma City’s proposal for future tournaments. But the highest compliment was made three years ago when the Big 12 gave the nod for this year’s event.

“It sent a message that Oklahoma City could measure up,” Cornett said. “We know we can.”

14. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

From Lawrence, KA, KUsports.com - OKC rolls out red (and blue) carpet

OKC rolls out red (and blue) carpet
    Thursday, March 8, 2007

Color Jim Cowan crimson and blue.

His iconic restaurant, Bricktown Brewery, is firmly established as the place to be for Kansas University fans flocking to Oklahoma City for this weekend’s Big 12 Basketball Tournament.

Never mind that he’s normally surrounded by Oklahoma Sooners.

“I bleed crimson and cream. I’m a big OU fan,” said Cowan, who owns the place that holds the title as both state’s first legal brewery since Prohibition and KU alumni headquarters for the tournament. “Now I’m all blue, because it’s great on the pocketbook.”

Sure, holding court as a No. 1 seed, standing as a traditional national powerhouse and toting a legion of hoops-hungry fans can make a business owner switch stripes. But can it bring a tournament title?

Mike Davis, senior vice president for the KU Alumni Association sure hopes so. He’s loading up a crew of compatriots and boxes upon boxes of Jayhawk souvenirs for the trip down Interstate 35, where he expects anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 KU fans to file into the Ford Center and nearby watering holes to catch the action.

“It’s an easy drive for a lot of people,” he said.

Of course, another path awaits: the Road to the Final Four, which won’t begin formally until the NCAA Tournament begins next week.
    From a Topeka TV station, Being a loyal fan can be costly - 49abcnews.com ... mainly about the cost associated with attending ... nothing particularly quotable, e.g., ...

You'll also need a place to stay. We did a quick search and found dozens of hotels within a 10 mile radius of the Ford Center in OKC. For an average, you'll pay about $108 per night. But rooms are filling up fast and you may need to extend your search out beyond ten miles.

15. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Steve Lackmeyer's article, "Visitors grade friendliness A, parking fee F
    Fans speak highly of restaurants, hotels, arenas", contains a number of quotes from out-of-staters. Link: User Registration

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

If Oklahoma City were to take a report card home to Mom and Dad at the end of this week's Big 12 tournament, it would likely result in high praise for friendliness, attractions and overall accommodations at Ford Center and neighboring Cox Convention Center.

Bricktown, however, might be due for a mix of praise for its night life and restaurants, but a lecture when it comes to parking.

Two dozen out-of-state visitors were surveyed Wednesday and Thursday by The Oklahoman about their impressions of Oklahoma City as a first time host of the men's and women's basketball championships. Those answering hailed from Texas, Missouri, Kansas and Iowa.
    The article goes on to state the quotes. Parking cost in Bricktown was hit pretty hard.

A sidebar in the article gives the scorecard, of those polled:

Oklahoma City's Big 12 Grades
    (Not all areas were graded by every respondent)

•Cleanliness of downtown: A: 21, B: 3
    •Promotion of Big 12: A: 18, B: 5
    •Proximity of downtown hotels to arenas: A: 12, B: 5
    •Downtown hotel prices: A: 6, B: 1, C: 2, D: 2
    •Pedestrian accommodations: A: 20, B: 4
    •Night life: A: 12, B: 3
    •Retail selection: A: 4, B: 2, C:2, D:1
    •Public safety downtown: A: 22, B: 2
    •Quality of Cox Convention Center Arena: A: 12, B: 3
    •Parking availability: A: 8, B: 3, C: 1, F:1
    •Parking prices: A: 12, C: 3, D:4, F: 5
    •Restaurant selection: A: 16, B: 2
    •Restaurant prices: A: 18, B: 4
    •Downtown traffic: A: 15, B: 5
    •Downtown attractions: A: 12, B:
    •Downtown public transit: A: 5, B: 2
    •Quality of Ford Center: A: 12, B: 2
    •Overall hospitality: A: 23, B: 1

16. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Thank you Doug! It just makes me smile when I read the positive press about our state. I love to read that people are complimenting OKC.

Olympics anyone? Hey, we can dream!! lol

From the San Antonio Express-News

Aggies Mailbag: OKC the perfect site for a little A&M hoops history

Web Posted: 03/08/2007 04:42 PM CST

Brent Zwerneman
    Express-News Staff Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY – There’s a lot of hollering going on outside my hotel room window right now. Which can only mean one thing.

It’s Big 12 tournament time, baby. And OKC is the perfect place for it.

Oklahoma City is the third city to host the tournament, following the leads of Kansas City and Dallas. And OKC has, by far, the best setup for fans.

Why? Everything is right together:

The basketball – both men’s and women’s (in arenas across the street from each other). The lodging – a bundle of hotels within strolling distance. The fun – Bricktown, OKC’s version of the River Walk or Austin’s Sixth Street, is next door.

KC, where the shindig returns next year, has a long tradition of hosting the league tournament. You also have to catch buses or drive to the different venues. Dallas is the same way.

OKC, too, is the most centrally located spot in the Big 12. If you’re a Nebraska fan, you can drive in from Lincoln. If you’re a Texas A&M fan, you can drive in from College Station.

What makes San Antonio such an attractive destination this time of year is exactly why it’s not an ideal spot for the Big 12 tournament. Too far south for the Big 12 North. Same goes for Houston. It would be like holding the tournament in Omaha, Neb., in messing over the South.

Naturally, any place will have its heavier allegiances, a.k.a. homecourt advantage. KC was a big-time homecourt advantage for Kansas, and even Kansas State. That’s a big reason why the tournament needed to shift around.

A&M coach Billy Gillispie, who enjoys griping about a lot of things simply for conversation’s sake, said OKC “is a huge homecourt advantage” for Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

He’s right. Dallas is the closest thing anyone will find to a neutral site. But OKC is, overall, a better venue than anywhere else. And I’m staking that claim three days into the tournament’s OKC history. A place where A&M basketball has a chance to make a little history – by winning its first Big 12 tournament title in either men’s or women’s action.

Now, if you will, please hold on, while I bark like a crotchety old man at the revelers below. Tryin’ to write here, ya know.

On to your letters:

18. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

That's great .. keep 'em coming..

You know, a lot of times when I read positive articles I send a thank you email to the writer.. I did that often on the Hornet's articles - but there got to be too many! Good.

I just write a simple 'I noticed your complimentary article regarding our city. Thank you for commenting on our city in such a positive manner. Please come back and visit again.'

Just something to let them know we appreciate it and cement in their minds that Oklahoman's ( even transplants) are truly very friendly.

My small way of encouraging tourism and to show civic pride.

Talking Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for getting those together guys.

So many people have worked so hard for so long on this event. The feedback makes it all worth it. Now let's hope it pays off and we have many more opportunities to welcome Big 12 to OKC!!

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    I've been trying to find some national articles but not much luck..

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow night.. that's when I want to go... any suggestions to avoid the $15 parking?
    Actually most all the parking is no more than $6 with the exception of the lot across from the Ford Center is $10 on the Corner of Reno and EK Gaylord. The Big 12 and the OKC Chamber has requested the parking rates stay reasonable if we want to land the tournament again. I even saw $2 parking in Bricktown yesterday.

21. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

All of Brewer's lots are $20 a day.

22. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    All I can say is WOW! Thanks for getting those together guys.

So many people have worked so hard for so long on this event. The feedback makes it all worth it. Now let's hope it pays off and we have many more opportunities to welcome Big 12 to OKC!!

Kim
    ^^ and other large events, tourism, and business relocations here.

Hopefully translating into more attractions and amenities for the city not to mention greater population growth (than the city already has) when you get to the big picture of it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Leave it to dumb*** Brewer to ruin the one thing that might hold us back from landing the tournament again.

24. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Seriously. Any normal day in Bricktown I'm fine with him charging what he can get. That's capitalism. But this week some regulation was necessary and they warned them not to price-gouge but he did it anyway.

25. Default Re: Post non-Oklahoma media comments about OKC hosting the Big 12 Tourney here...

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Seriously. Any normal day in Bricktown I'm fine with him charging what he can get. That's capitalism. But this week some regulation was necessary and they warned them not to price-gouge but he did it anyway.
    Yep. That $10 per session is ridiculous. What else could we expect from Brewer? In a TV report last night a lot of fans were complaining. If you're going to be there for the full five days - that's an extra $100. Too much to just park your car.

-------------

Thread Information