Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Village

Default Bricktown Village

Remember when rumors were flying around here that Bob Funk, owner of the RedHawks, was planning on building a condo tower overlooking the Bricktown ballpark? Well I saw the plans and renderings for this "rumored" project today and I must say I am very impressed! The name of it is Bricktown Village and it is a partnership between Capstone Development and a Baltimore architectural firm, plus the RedHawks and Funk. It not only includes the parking lot directly to the east of the ballpark, which would be a midrise condo tower with stellar views, but also the old warehouse at Sheridan and Joe Carter at the NE end of the ballpark would be redeveloped into housing as well. Also all of the lots around the Bricktown Events Center and IHOP would be turned into 3-4 story loft apartments with underground parking and a mix of retail and restaurant space along Sheridan, Reno, and Joe Carter. This plan hasn't been officially released yet so that's all I can say for now...

2. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Sweet, we are finally getting to where the suface parking is starting to disappear. Now we just need to get something in the Rock Island building at Oklahoma and Reno. I can't believe it still sits empty in that location.

Default Re: Bricktown Village

Sounds cool, let's just hope its promising and comes to fruition. I knew about the rumors for a long time.

I don't know that Capstone is behind this.

That would probably be their first project in Oklahoma if this is true.

That does sound interesting. Do you know if they intende to seel or lease the condos and lofts?

Sounds very interesting and promising.

Perhaps the condo development will also feature a restaurant overlooking the ballpark. From that vantage point, you'd also have a great view of the skyline (unlike Coaches).

Looking through the Capstone website, it looks like they are doing a whole series of properties they call "The Fieldhouse" which are very close to sports venues:

Fieldhouse :: a Capstone Companies Development

FYI I drove by today and noticed some sort of construction already started just east of the ballpark. Concrete Piers appear to be going up in the "players and VIP parking lot" just outside the Centerfield fence. I took pictures and will post them in my gallery in a few minutes.

9. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Wow, usually we hear something official and then don't see any construction for a couple years...

OK, I posted the picture of the construction I saw today in the players parking lot. Look in the left center part of the picture and you can see pillars of some sort and the wood concrete frames going up. Let's hope its for these ballpark condos.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showp...500/ppuser/204

11. Default Re: Bricktown Village

They can't just start building something without getting approval, particularly in Bricktown. If this was anything really important, we'd have likely already heard about it.

I agree Shane, but they've been tossing this idea around before and I thought it was proposed awhile back while the final planning (including obtaining permit, final designs, etc was in the works). You could be very well right but I'm hoping we'll be optimistic on this one, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree Shane, but they've been tossing this idea around before and I thought it was proposed awhile back while the final planning (including obtaining permit, final designs, etc was in the works). You could be very well right but I'm hoping we'll be optimistic on this one, I'm not sure what else it could be.
    I saw that too yesterday while in Bricktown, not sure what they're doing there. From the rendering I saw there was a midrise (6-8 stories) condo tower there, adjacent to the proposed 10 story Hampton Inn, and then a collection of mixed-use lofts similar in style to Block 42 surrounding the Bricktown Events Center. I'll see if I can scan that rendering, it was really cool.

On a sidenote, and something I noticed yesterday, Sheridan Ave. through Bricktown has the largest concentration of OKC's nightlife along with the north canal area. I think it would be wise to continue having more and more bars, clubs, and especially music venues on this "strip" through Bricktown. There's no reason, with all the current establishments already there and the vacant spaces east of Central, that Sheridan couldn't become something similar to 6th Street or Lower Greenville with its high concentration of nightlife and restaurants all in one place.

14. Default Re: Bricktown Village

I don't know if it's optimistic or pessimistic to hope that it's an unapproved, non-publicly announced structure going up somewhere in Bricktown. In my eyes it would be an indication that something isn't quite working if an officially unproposed project is being built. Whether I like the idea of the project or not. And I do.

15. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Too bad we couldn't get something like that in Lower Bricktown. Sounds like it will have a pretty urban feel. I hope they start on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
    They can't just start building something without getting approval, particularly in Bricktown. If this was anything really important, we'd have likely already heard about it.
    Jim Brewer can.

good one Spartan, or at least he thinks he can demolish structures without approval

You can't watch a Brewer development anymore without your jaw being wide open, aghast. His hotel planned for the canal though may be a good chance for him to do something positive for once.

BG can you please scan that rendering you were talking about??

Well I found out some more about this project recently, and it is currently in redesign. The rendering I saw showed the condo tower by the ballpark and urban mixed-use lofts around Bricktown Events Center. Well now the developers are thinking even bigger and a local architectural firm will be working with the Baltimore firm to design something even bigger that will encompass areas north of Sheridan east of Stiles and all the way to Lincoln along Sheridan and Reno. I'll see if I can scan that rendering but it will look different and be much larger. If this all goes as planned, and we know in this city that usually doesn't happen, it will be a development on par with The Triangle in the amount of new res. units created and the amount of retail/restaurants.

21. Default Re: Bricktown Village

wow.

Didja get it scanned in yet?

yeah, please scan it even though it might not be the correct proposal anymore

24. Default Re: Bricktown Village

That sounds amazing. Even the original proposal sounds awesome. Please show us the scanned image.

I drove by again today, even more piers were up. I decided to pull in the private parking lot and ask the construction workers. They said it was new batting cages. Not sure what this means to the proposed condo's on this site?

Thread Information