Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hole in the wall place

Default Hole in the wall place

What are your favorite hole in the wall places you would recommend to everyone?

2. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Someplace Else Deli, 23rd and Western.
    Still corrupting young minds

3. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Edna's North Classen.
    Cock o'the Walk.

Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Eichen's Bar in Okarche is probably the most famous Hole in The Wall you will find in the state.

Edna's for sure...Order a lunchbox, which is their signature drink

Ken's steak house amber Oklahoma
    "You can't fix stupid it's foreverrrrrrrrr!!" Ron White

Mexican: Los Molino's
    Los Molinos Mexican Restaurant, Oklahoma City, OK

Burritos: Qdobas
    Not a hole in the wall, but tasty nonetheless

Deli:
    Napoleon Deli in Midwest City
    Oklahoma Gazette - Your Entertainment and Food Source

Kumback Cafe - Perry, Oklahoma.
    Recommended by Pretty Boy Floyd hisself!!!!!

Regardless of your opinion towards Chelino's--this location is a "hole in the wall" but it is by far the best. Visit this location and many things will surprise you:

1) amazing service

2) clean/ solid clientele (once you see the location you will understand the surprise here)

3) GREAT FOOD everytime you dine here, no matter what. And the waitstaff will recognize you after a while (they are too a very consistent bunch).

4221 S Robinson Ave
    Oklahoma City, OK 73109

(405) 636-1548

hawaiian Don's

11. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Ah, yes...Hawaiian Don's. Home of the $7 fishbowl drink. Good times.
    Still corrupting young minds

Heard that place was like sitting in Cheech and Chong's car

13. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Eichen's Bar in Okarche is probably the most famous Hole in The Wall you will find in the state.
    I agree. I hear a meal is pricey for what you get but I also hear it's some of the best chicken in the state.

Eichen's Bar isn't too expensive. We went for Valentines day with a group of 24. We ate and drank (beer) until we were sick. I think it was about $30 a couple including tip!

My new favorite hole in the wall is Bricktown Coney and Pub. That is the coolest decor I've seen. The bar upstairs is my favorite. By the way they have the best, I mean the best FRIED PICKLES.

15. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

There's a little place near NW 40th and Lincoln Blvd (on the west side of the road) that serves some of the best BBQ in the city (in my opinion). I think it's called "Smokehouse"....but don't quote me on that.

Classen Grill for breakfast. The food is certainly a notch above "hole in the wall" cuisine, but the surrounding environs would certainly qualify the joint for that status.

17. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Anyone here been to 'A Family Affair' on NE 23rd?

That place is very good and full of people from the Capitol.

family-affair loc: Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps

Buffest style fresh salad, chicken, catfish, potatos, cobbler.... Yummy!

About $6.50 each for all you can eat and a VERY friendly staff. Don't let the scary neighborhood or bars on the doors/windows scare you off.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    I agree. I hear a meal is pricey for what you get but I also hear it's some of the best chicken in the state.
    Are you kidding me, its some of the cheapest food, my wife and I can get a full meal and have leftovers to bring back for $15. A whole chicken is like $8 bucks and that comes with the bread, onions, pickles and then you can add a HUGE side like fried okra or something for about $4.

19. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

Personally, I think Eichen's Bar is over hyped. Don't get me wrong, we love to take friends and make the drive or ride the bikes. I think it is the whole experience of coming and going, the atmosphere, and history that makes the chicken seem so good. You serve the exact same chicken in OKC and you don't have anything that special. Am I nuts or does/did someone advertise Okarche chicken on their local menu - I could swear I saw that in the past.

I'd have to disagree that you can get chicken just as good or same as Eichen's Bar in OKC. I dislike Chicken on the Bone (just have a weird thing with it). I had Eichens and absolutely love it, the secret recipe, the way its fried and severed on paper with the onions and pickles. Nothing I've found in OKC tastes like it.

21. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

By the time the chicken arrived after a two hour wait.. anything tasted good.

Of course, in the meantime we had endless mugs of beer so I can't really tell you what the chicken tasted like ... lol..

Honestly, I felt like the drive and the wait just wasn't worth it but the experience with friends was pretty fun.

Personally, I don't like pickles, onions or white bread sooo that leaves just the chicken, which was pretty good.

I might try to go back when it's less crowded and give it another shot. I know everyone raves about it.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

22. Default Re: Hole in the wall place

I'll take a $5 whole rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club anyday.

But like I said, the experience makes the drive worth it. Take that away and you've just got chicken.

i like eichen's, but i'll agree that the food is good but overrated.

as for chelino's, it looks like another one is going in at sw 89th and western... where big ed's used to be, ages ago.

-M

Back to Eichens, if you're going to go, don't go on a weekend, or you'll definitely wait a good 2 hours plus. Go earlier in the week on a Monday - Wednesday, earlier the better, you should be able to find a seat or not wait long and you're food will come out much quicker. The chicken is still the best I've had w/o the onions/pickles, etc. I typically don't eat that with chicken but that's part of the flavor and experience. And as I mentioned I don't even like chicken on the bone, but I love Eichens.

As far as Chelino's, that stuff is nasty, service is always terrible, and most of their locations are dirty.

i'm not a fan of chelino's, either... but i've rarely gotten bad service when dragged there. -M

Thread Information