Widgets Magazine
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 115657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1687

Thread: Chesapeake empire marches on

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I can't help but look at that and wonder to myself why a corporate campus needs a soccer field and track. A corporate gym, sure, but a full track and field environment?

Feels like a metaphor for this entire development.

^

There is a parking garage underneath that field/track so pretty expensive piece of development right there.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can't help but look at that and wonder to myself why a corporate campus needs a soccer field and track. A corporate gym, sure, but a full track and field environment?
    I can see it for a big enough campus. I like to run, but I absolutely hate the treadmill. I run in my neighborhood, but it could really be nice to run somewhere without having to worry about traffic and being able to just listen to my headphones. Being able to run before or after work and taking a shower at the gym there would be a very nice perks, and even with running around the neighborhood it's nice to have a measured track for doing speed work.

A soccer field is also a nice option for intramural sports, letting coworkers blow off steam, letting employees coach a kids team there, sponsoring a local team, etc.

Reminder they also own the property on the west side of Western which has an even longer track and bigger playfield.

Or why, at one time, CHK had not one but two full-time beekeepers on the payroll.

Blog Entries

Shoot, I used to do business with a company in Columbus that had their own golf course plus gym, workout facilities, etc. They gave employees 4 hours a week of paid time there. They had VERY loyal employees. Just like Aubrey believed you provided these sorts of amenities to be able to recruit and keep good employees. I would rather companies did soccer and track facilities than just focus on giving executives country club memberships.

Such a nice Campus. CHK should relocate whatever entity remains to downtown office space. Then market the campus with the help of the OK Chamber of Commerce as an attractive HQ relocation with incentives.

9. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

^Great idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Such a nice Campus. CHK should relocate whatever entity remains to downtown office space. Then market the campus with the help of the OK Chamber of Commerce as an attractive HQ relocation with incentives.
    Doubt the debtors in control would allow them to pay rent somewhere while they own vacant space.

People need to realize, this is no longer a local company and there will be no looking out for OKC by them. This is strictly business...their business, and local interests have no bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Doubt the debtors in control would allow them to pay rent somewhere while they own vacant space.

People need to realize, this is no longer a local company and there will be no looking out for OKC by them. This is strictly business...their business, and local interests have no bearing.
    +1. They have no control over anything right now. Bondholders and the bankruptcy court has complete operational control until they emerge.

"let's move offices" is priority #9,457,393.

12. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

I don't think it was a short term suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

Rent for 400 people may be cheaper than property taxes on that big ol' thang.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    As AP said, this is a really great idea.

They have been trying to rent out Building 13 for over a year and to no avail.

And that building has it's own parking garage and is along 63rd, not in the middle of the campus. So, easy for a company to have its own signage and identity.

There does not seem to be demand for office space in this area and really for most of OKC. And I predict that is going to get worse before it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Rent for 400 people may be cheaper than property taxes on that big ol' thang.
    Are they down to 400 on campus? I thought it was still around 1,250.

"adding that the company is committed to keeping its 1,900 employees, including 1,300 in Oklahoma, informed" (Only the kingfisher and Weatherford field offices remain.)

https://oklahoman.com/article/566560...t-path-forward

They're still a $10 billion company, assets sales were NOT part of the Chap 11 agreement with bondholders. It's a debt for equity swap.

There is no space downtown for 1,300 employees in one building now that SD sold.

HangryHippo Guest

How much free space is in the BOK Tower across from Devon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    About 16 floors

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not 1300 worth. BOK has 2-3 floors, Enable has 6-8?

And keep in mind they are still a Fortune 500 company. They aren't going to be a tenant for someone else.

It's not going to happen.

They're more likely to buy other companies grow the current campus, move to Houston, or get bought than moving downtown.

I always thought this area looked more to be a college campus as opposed to being a corporate headquarters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    I always thought this area looked more to be a college campus as opposed to being a corporate headquarters.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

And keep in mind they are still a Fortune 500 company. They aren't going to be a tenant for someone else.

They're more likely to buy other companies grow the current campus, move to Houston, or get bought than moving downtown.
    That would be our worst nightmare; worst than losing Kerr McGee in 2006.

I remember when we were putting in the windows and screens that one day this would end up being a Apartment Complex. Made a lot of money on that campus for sure.

23. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

l hope Devon or Continental might think the remaining balance sheet is attractive - or a Green?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

In your opinion since you seem well informed on the industry, is ENBL a pretty solid co?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

You know... it's funny, looking back. The billion + spent on these facilities, (was he trying to build a small city? I once heard rumors of employee housing...) and it was all fundamentally a flawed business model... or at least a business model that was no longer solvent once oil and gas prices fell. I say it's funny because I picture Aubrey out there, making hot-shot deals with the all the big bankers, flying around in jets, drinking $10,000 wine... He was sort of like the Robin Hood of OKC - but on a giant corporate financial-engineering level. He brought SO much money to OKC in the form of debt, spent like a mad man - and the lenders bought his sales pitch, time and time again. Did nobody run the numbers? You just have to be a silver-haired "visionary" and banks keep lending you money? I suppose so. At least, in that late 2000's era, when Wall St. was starved for growth, they were apparently willing to pay for growth at all costs. I'm glad OKC got some nice facilities out of it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the campus, long term. CHK will never need all that space again, and I've heard from friends that work there that they don't particularly love the campus model. They don't HATE it, it is pretty, but a bit impractical - especially if you're on the east side of Classen. They've said walking in the dead heat of summer, or during rain, snow, in dress clothes isn't a particularly pleasant endeavor right before an hour+ meeting in another building. Especially if you get caught in a surprise downpour and must attend meeting with wet clothes and socks.

Parking for the main campus will be a challenge. Sure, there's the giant garage under the athletic field, but there aren't enough spots if every building is full. The main campus will require that the garages east of Classen are used, which can create complications trying to break it up to multiple tenants I imagine.

Thread Information