Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Chesapeake empire marches on

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Any guesses on what they'll do with the land?
    More dorms? Invite only retail? Just approve it and move on...

That's very interesting. Can't imagine what they'd be doing there considering there doesn't seem to be any immediate plans for all the property they own around it.

Seems like before they got a demolition permit they'd have to submit plans for what they are going to put in it's place.

3. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Google Maps

Just a look at the campus.. if i'm correct that is.

4. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Chesepeake's purchase of huge areas of the city reminds me of very similar events in Detroit in the late 80s (I lived there at that time). Both Chrysler and GM were buying up all the real estate around their headquarters and bulldozing eveything. I moved away before these projects were finished, so I don't know how they turned out. But, during the process, there were large areas of the city that looked like farm fields.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...g_089833pv.jpg

GM's old headquarters; now called Cadillac Place.
    Courtesy of Wikipedia

Isn't this the property on the left? I don't think they are doing anything with the properties around it in the immediate future.

Perhaps that is where they are planning to move Hahn Cook Funeral Home (shown on the lower right of the aerial above)?

7. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

I would really like for Chesapeake to just show some conceptual plans to the general public. I also wonder why there is no possibility to have a branch of their headquarters in downtown. They can still grow on the northside, but they could have also have a campus downtown that would cater to specific purposes. I know its not very economical. Seperating a campus by several miles. But I don't like the huge expansion, of their current campus, horizontally. Kinda off topic, I know.

Also... don't use googlemaps. Their satellite images are severely outdated. Livemaps.com has recently updated satellite images for OKC. It also has the aerial view function....back to topic.

That's not google.

9. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Tell me where I said it was. I never said that.

FYI, I was actually referring to mmonroe's post up further on the page. Its not relevant anyway. Was it really necessary to waste a post because you felt the need to falsely correct me when in fact, you didn't even know what I was talking about? No more of those.

The following is from a PDF file forwarded to me by an anonymous person.

It is a rough CHK campus masterplan and is dated 6/23/2008.

It appears that yellow is office and purple is retail. As far as the orange and red-orange buildings show west of Western, I'm not sure if that is office or residential. I suspect the red-orange buildings might be taller than the others.

Some interesting things to note:

1. The original "cottages" in the center of campus to give way to athletic field.
    2. Looks like zero retail for the parcel on the SWC of 63rd & Western.
    3. You can't see it in this JPG but in the PDF there is lettering for the properties just east of Classen Curve that show possible retail and motel uses.
    4. Of course, they own virtually everything else in the aerial but they aren't elaborating on any of that (like NH Plaza) at this point.

Here's more of a closeup of the central area where you can make out more of the detail:

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Tell me where I said it was. I never said that.

FYI, I was actually referring to mmonroe's post up further on the page. Its not relevant anyway. Was it really necessary to waste a post because you felt the need to falsely correct me when in fact, you didn't even know what I was talking about? No more of those.
    The first thing most of us have to do is figure out what you are talking about, so don't be so touchy.

When you have "architect" in your name it engenders suspicion

Blog Entries

I am amused at how everyone demands to know up to the minute what Chesapeake intends to do, like it is their right to do so. If there is fear of progress or development, go buy the land and plan to do something with it yourself.

The truth is, Chesapeake has increased the value of EVERYONE's property in the immediate area. Nichols Hills Plaza has been steadily deteriorating for quite awhile as the old owners as well as many in the area were content to keep collecting rents without improving the properties. At least Chesapeake is willing to invest to make it a better place.

If Chesapeake kept an open book on all their real estate plans, many, many others would rush out and try to beat them to ownership of the properties to hold them and force them to pay exhorbitant rates. They wouldn't add value, just try to leech off of CP's plans.

14. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Quote Originally Posted by okiebadger View Post
    The first thing most of us have to do is figure out what you are talking about, so don't be so touchy.

When you have "architect" in your name it engenders suspicion
    lol. How so? But it really shouldn't matter because it obviously has nothing to do with this thread topic.

I think this is actually really good for Chesapeake. If this is real that is. But... one things that bothers me. I don't think theres a lot of retail. Perhaps some of those red and orange buildings are mixed-use?

Yea, Pete, I think the red ones represent taller buildings because some are directly in the middle which makes me think its Chase style. A large rectangle 3 story base with the skyscraper coming out of the middle. It also looks like they have balconies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I am amused at how everyone demands to know up to the minute what Chesapeake intends to do, like it is their right to do so. If there is fear of progress or development, go buy the land and plan to do something with it yourself.
    Never question Big Money. Never question Big Business. Never question Monopoly Power in a neighborhood. Only question -- Big Government. That's it, right?

Why question CHK? Because that entire area is part of our community. It's not like they own but a few lots and we're suggesting they be told what to do with it. Rover, they have bought an entire neighborhood of our city! Yet, you opine that we have no right to ask questions?

It's our city and you're damn right we can (and should) ask questions - we would be lazy citizens were we not to.

Some of us prefer not to bow to corporate power and just sit back and watch while they perform their "magic." In my lifetime I've seen literally hundreds of towns, and some large cities, allow one or two corporations to basically monopolize their city. It's all nice and wonderful for awhile. But then - if profits are to be found elsewhere, they'll chase them down across the globe and leave these towns and cities like ghost towns. ZERO responsibility and ZERO remorse. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$. ALWAYS. Yes, we must ask questions when an entire neighborhood is bought up by a single corporate entity. I can't believe you're suggesting we should just kick back and watch the show.

Blog Entries

Everyone can question all they want. It is just amusing the level of paranoia people have and how they DEMAND to know everything without actually being involved in any process. People want to criticize others who are willing to put up money to make this a better city but aren't willing to take chances to build anything themselves...heck, half of the then aren't even willing to improve their own yards and houses.

Chesapeake has built a quality campus and has spurred other quality development. They took a stagnant area in a key part of town and invested 10s of millions of dollars. They have made every house in a mile radius worth more money. Their development at 63rd and Western spurred development along Grand over to Penn Square Mall. 63rd and Broadway Ext will boom once the interchange is done, thanks to the investments they have made. Nichols Hills Plaza was losing tenants and struggling and they are willing to make it a first class destination center. They want to add affortable and high end housing in an area that has been run down businesses and small steel building warehouses along North Classen.

Yeah, I can see why people are suspicious and want to control them. What will Chesapeake do next....donate to some charity in the city? Heaven forbid! Guess we should make then only donate to the ones WE want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here's more of a closeup of the central area where you can make out more of the detail:

The southeast portion of the athletic field shows "4100 Museum." I wonder what that means. I have heard from numerous people that A.M. is building a wine museum (may house more than that) that is shaped like a giant wine barrel. For those of you that don't know, he is one of the nation's largest collectors of fine wines. He even owns some vineyards himself. Personally, I thought the museum would be cooler by Pops and the tree farm.

I really, really, really like what he is doing.

That actually says "6100 Museum" -- it shows up better on the PDF.

Have no idea what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by autoMATTic View Post
    The southeast portion of the athletic field shows "4100 Museum." I wonder what that means. I have heard from numerous people that A.M. is building a wine museum (may house more than that) that is shaped like a giant wine barrel. For those of you that don't know, he is one of the nation's largest collectors of fine wines. He even owns some vineyards himself. Personally, I thought the museum would be cooler by Pops and the tree farm.

I really, really, really like what he is doing.

This museum is going to be a CHK museum. Aubrey has stated he'd like to save the 6100 building (where the company started) and has even hired a company historian to begin collecting memorabilia. He is definitely not putting a huge wine barrel museum in the middle of a corporate campus.

If this is really an official plan its strange they would mislabel the building as 4100 when its actually 6100??

A quonset hut-appearing structure is under construction east of Classen between Wilshire & 63rd, and is reportedly for wine storage.

Thanks for the clarification, sd. As stated above, the plan actually does say 6100 not 4100.

Also, does anybody have insight into what the buildings west of Western will be? I doesn't look like offices, so I have to assume residential and some hotel space.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, sd. As stated above, the plan actually does say 6100 not 4100.

Also, does anybody have insight into what the buildings west of Western will be? I doesn't look like offices, so I have to assume residential and some hotel space.

The hotel site is set for the old Tapwerks triangle. Last I heard the land west of Western was going to be mixed use with residential, retail, and office space (both for CHK and other companies).

Quote Originally Posted by sdsooners View Post
    He is definitely not putting a huge wine barrel museum in the middle of a corporate campus.
    But apparently he is putting one close, says OKCTalker: "A quonset hut-appearing structure is under construction east of Classen between Wilshire & 63rd, and is reportedly for wine storage."

I was wrong about the museum thing. It is just for personal use it appears.

I went through the CHK campus last week and drove through the area east of Classen, marked on the master plan as "Possible Chesapeake Development". They are moving dirt over there but there isn't any actual construction. That is a hill that rises above the rest of the city above where the BNSF tracks run next to it just south of NW 63rd and north of I-44. There is one of the best skyline views I've seen up there so whatever they end up building will have some great views. I can only hope it includes housing.

Two things I'd like to see:
    1) Planning for a commuter rail station for the Edmond-Norman line at the tracks at NW 63rd or slightly south with a parking garage (for commuters) and dense housing to the west of the tracks toward CHK. Plan for some kind of well-landscaped link from the station into the campus like at NW 62nd. Create an area for retail/restaurants along NW 63rd between the tracks and Classen.

2) Extend Classen south from where it currently curves at NW 59th all the way to Grand connecting to the offramp at I-44. That offramp is confusing and could be a better "gateway" to CHK and surrounding development if you could go straight through on Classen instead of having to turn on Grand.

25. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    That is a hill that rises above the rest of the city above where the BNSF tracks run next to it just south of NW 63rd and north of I-44. There is one of the best skyline views I've seen up there so whatever they end up building will have some great views. I can only hope it includes housing.
    I had noticed this a few weeks back as well. The dirt pile is right under the M of OKCTalk.com in the map. It's already up on a hill, plus the dirt pile rises up even higher. GREAT place for residential. Stellar views of both of our skylines. I wanted to drive or walk up to the top, but it was getting late, and I was alone and didn't think it was a good idea. I'll try to get up there soon and take some pics.

Thread Information