Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Core to Shore - I-40

1. Default Core to Shore - I-40

Public Meeting ( from OKC City news)

Citizens are invited to provide input on plans for the area impacted by the realignment of Interstate 40.. The first will be held December 13 @ 6:00pm... Watch The City of Oklahoma City for the location.

The first phase of the Core to Shore plan covers the 590 acres from Reno to South 10th and much of the area east and west between 235 and Shartel.

The City anticipates the redevelopment will include a world- class boulevard. dense and inclusive housing, parks, live-work units, retail, office and commericial space.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

how about a state of the art soccer facility with attendant youth soccer fields? the stadium could also be a concert venue as well.

think along these lines:

That land is worth millions. Heck no.

replace the soccer fields with tennis courts and we'll talk! :P -M

we don't need nearly as many fields. 8 would be fine and you could cut out 9-17.

Exactly, m! Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    replace the soccer fields with tennis courts and we'll talk! :P -M
    I would like to pass on both of those options please

8. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

Wouldn't something like that belong probably farther north of Heritage Hills or near the skate park instead of in this valuable land? I would've figured condos, hotels, (maybe mix-use skyscrapers to make me happy :-D ), and convention center expansions belong in the core to shore area.

I kind of agree. Hopefully, the civic and public use ideas will be focused on the river. All world class cities have great civics and park areas and I think the river is perfect for that. I think that the area between the river and downtown would be great for mixed use. This way the business and entertainment districts of downtown are cohesively linked to the (hopefully) recreational and civic parks areas on the river.

Seriously, if we have housing and urban neighborhoods from downtown to the river area and then have world class parks, amphitheaters, museums, and recreational areas on the river, you would have a city plan that would rival, on a smaller scale, some of the best cities in the country, imo.

10. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

BDP, this is exactly why you should go to the meeting - Represent!! lol
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

11. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

Good points, BDP. If that were to happen, what about any possible expansion of downtown business district?
    Last edited by SpectralMourning; 11-13-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Edited to include "business district" for clarification.

I think it would be great for business to be a part of the expansion as well. I think we'll always need a strong business core, as many businesses feed of the synergy of resources that provides. However, I think it would be great to mix housing and businesses in the new district. This way we could have a real live/work/play area in our city for those who look for that kind of life. You'd have true neighborhoods where people live and work and socialize all within one small community that is based on interaction instead of isolation. I think such an environment could support real light rail or trolley public transit that could one day be connected to a commuter system if needed.

This, of course, all stems from people in the city wanting this kind of living option and being able to support it.

When I was in town last weekend, I drove up Robinson from Capitol Hill into downtown.

Man, is that area blighted. Almost exclusively junk yards and completely dilapidated homes.

At least it should be easy to acquire a lot of that property for higher and better use.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    When I was in town last weekend, I drove up Robinson from Capitol Hill into downtown.

Man, is that area blighted. Almost exclusively junk yards and completely dilapidated homes.

At least it should be easy to acquire a lot of that property for higher and better use.
    Ah, you drove through Brian Bates territory.

15. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

We should petition the City to pursue eminent domain on the properties then turn it over to Sooner Investments. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and that would be a sure-fire way to achieve quality developement .

16. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

A "Core to Shore" public meeting is scheduled for December 13th at 6PM in Room 16-18 of The Myriad (Cox) Convention Center. Russell Claus of the OKC Planning Department and Dave Lopez will do a Welcome and Mark Leese of the Core to Shore Team will facilitate the discussion. The agenda includes an update, discussion and Q&A followed by an Open House (what ever that means).

My suggestions on how to have an impact on this major redevelopment process:

1. Put your butt in a seat at the meeting.
    2. Don't bitch about all of the buildings that have been torn down in OKC.
    3. Ask questions.
    4. Get aquainted with members of the STC Team and representives of the Planning Department.
    5. Post your impressions of the meeting here.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

I'd like to see a comprehensive urban plan developed and then have the City force developers to follow it. This should have been done for Bricktown and we can't make that mistake again. I think the new blvd. created by the I-40 move will be very important to the whole city and this area as it will link the existing downtown OKC to the "new" downtown OKC in Riverside. Department stores, the Harkins Theatre (with a new entrance on the blvd.), hotels, condo towers, restaurants, etc. should be lined along this blvd. from Bricktown to the Arts District.

18. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'd like to see a comprehensive urban plan developed and then have the City force developers to follow it. This should have been done for Bricktown and we can't make that mistake again. I think the new blvd. created by the I-40 move will be very important to the whole city and this area as it will link the existing downtown OKC to the "new" downtown OKC in Riverside. Department stores, the Harkins Theatre (with a new entrance on the blvd.), hotels, condo towers, restaurants, etc. should be lined along this blvd. from Bricktown to the Arts District.
    You make some good points BG. I hope that you can attend Wednesday's meeting and share them with the people that are charged with developing the plans.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Just a reminder Core To Shore is tonight at 6pm. 2nd floor of the Cox Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Walcott View Post
    how about a state of the art soccer facility with attendant youth soccer fields? the stadium could also be a concert venue as well.

think along these lines:

Have you seen Frisco's Pizza Hut Park (that is the actual map of their facility)? It is amazing. The have a MLS team and a lot of tourism associated with it. Frisco is an upscale town with a lot of young, wealthy families. Do you know what the kids of young, weathly families do? Yep. Play soccer. I am not sure it is would be right for the downtown OKC area, or any part of OKC but it is an innovative concept and works very well in Frisco.

21. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

Frisco is a suburb...

This belongs on the Edmond or Norman boards

No, I think it is totally appropriate in the Core To Shore forum, especially if we would like to see one near the river. I think it would be awesome if one came to fruition. I was unable to go to the meeting last night unfortunately. Did anyone go? What was talked about?

23. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

I attended the meeting. There was a good crowd, and the organizers wisely gave ordinary folks plenty of opportunity to share their thoughts and ask questions.

Some points we learned:

- There will be a Central Park-type park running from the Myriad Gardens to the river. All three rough drawings presented have different versions of what that park would look like.

- The old post office is gone. Team members decided it took too much space and no one thought it was of historic value.

- All three drawings have a retail lifestyle center north of the boulevard, south of the Myriad Gardens and directly west of the Ford Center. The rough drawing had three rows of buildings covering about two blocks.

- The bulk of development south of the boulevard will be residential. Most of the other space will be parkland. But neighborhood retail will most likely in the mix.

- No grand plazas suggested thus far for the Great Lawn at Riverside's shore. But one of the drawings suggested (and reportedly popular with steering committee members) a square inlet from the river that would be surrounded restaurants and retail. It would be slightly to the west of that dip.

- Eminent domain would be the last resort for land assembly. Payouts from private developers are expected.

- There will be more meetings, with the next one I believe in March. For answers to some of our questions, we can check the city website sometime in the future.
    Continue the Renaissance

- There will be a Central Park-type park running from the Myriad Gardens to the river.
    Fantastic idea! That would really help connect downtown to the river, especially for recreation.

But that's a lot of property to acquire. Perhaps they are already confident of their prospects in that regard.

25. Default Re: Core to Shore - I-40

Quote Originally Posted by floater View Post
    The bulk of development south of the boulevard will be residential. Most of the other space will be parkland. But neighborhood retail will most likely in the mix.
    What type of residential did the plan propose? low, medium, or high density???

Thread Information