Widgets Magazine

Thread: new edmond highway

Default new edmond highway

Does anyone know anything about the new 4 lane highway they are building from Covell and I-35, South to almost Danforth, and then west to Highway 74 aka Hefner Parkway? I've seen construction going on for it for several weeks now. Just wondering if anyone knew more about it and had any ETA's?

Default Re: new edmond highway

There has been work for quite some time on putting in new utilities stretching over the same general area, but no highway.

Work is ongoing on Covell making Edmond's second underpass under the railroad tracks at Covel & Broadway.

I'm in the area daily and haven't seen any 'highway' activity. Man, the Keep Edmond Green folks would be having a fit over that!

3. Default Re: new edmond highway

Actually John, some of us "Greenies" sit on various city boards and committees, and transportation infrastructure is a critical issue to the healthy growth of our community. I have personally voted for street expansion and improvement projects that will enhance the flow of traffic. It seems unfair to portray us as mindless tree-huggers opposed to everything. (Sorry if I sound testy...election day stress+caffiene=grumpy!)

I lived in Edmond from '79 to '04. "Keep Edmond Green" is hilarious. The city needs infrastructure. I think the bike trails are a great idea, but a 4-lane highway crossing town is needed very badly. Navigating across Edmond is extremely burdensome. It would be great to have some arteries to pull traffic away from side streets.

5. Default Re: new edmond highway

The traffic improvements of which you speak are on their way! The new master transportation plan in a thing of beauty! Why is "keep Edmond green" hilarious?

Tim, growing up in Edmond, I can say that just about any undeveloped plot of land was once a farm, thus not 'natural.' Actually, the current zoning ordinances are great.

7. Default Re: new edmond highway

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Tim, growing up in Edmond, I can say that just about any undeveloped plot of land was once a farm, thus not 'natural.' Actually, the current zoning ordinances are great.
    Funny story. I live at 7th and University, in the heart of "old Edmond". My neighbor across the street actually remembers when the doctor she worked for back in the late 40's built his house on the corner, and everyone laughed at him for building so far out in the "country"! I'm all for growth, I just want it to be smart growth! Thanks for your consistantly thoughtful, intelligent comments.

Different residents see different needs. I can be all for a better street/highway system and still be opposed to a commercial development that is too large or located in an area that has negative impact on parks or neighborhoods. It takes discussion, cooperation, and compromise to plan for the future for everyone's needs.

John, when you're going north on Broadway just north of Danforth pay close attention to the right side of the road you will see road grading going on preparing the ground for concrete or asphalt.

Tim, can you enlighten us on the master plan for Edmond's new infrastructure?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    John, when you're going north on Broadway just north of Danforth pay close attention to the right side of the road you will see road grading going on preparing the ground for concrete or asphalt.
    They're jogging Broadway slightly to the east in order to make room for the railroad underpass.

11. Default Re: new edmond highway

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

Tim, can you enlighten us on the master plan for Edmond's new infrastructure?
    The Master Transportation Plan through the year 2030 is in the final approval stages, and calls for a realignment of Broadway, upgrades and "boulevard-ization" of some secondary arteries. Due to the layout of Edmond, the proposed widening projects are based more on existing traffic flow and level-of-service than on physical location. Also included are provisions for alternative transportation (bicycle lanes, etc). The plan is available for review at the Public Works building on Littler, so please drop by and have a look!
    Other infrastructure improvements seem to be geared toward proposed development North and East of I-35. From personal experience, the folks at Public Works are awesome, and will happily answer any questions you may have.

Here are current and future projects listed on Edmond's website:

2006 Construction

Boulevard, Danforth to .25 miles north of Covell

This project consists of widening Boulevard from two lanes to a divided four‑lane roadway. The project also includes bike paths and sidewalks. The existing intersection of Broadway and Covell will be moved approximately 700 feet east. This will facilitate the future Covell Road Underpass at the Railroad Tracks in 2007. The new intersection at Covell will have left and right turn lanes with new signals. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The construction cost is $7,276.861.10. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is Fall 2006.

33rd Street, Kelly to Santa Fe

This project consists of widening 33rd street to provide for a four lane divided roadway with left turn lanes at the side streets. The project will also include sidewalks and a signal light at Lincoln Boulevard. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The construction cost is $4,429,076.00. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is Fall 2006.

Sooner Road Bridge Replacement, 0.6 Miles North of Covell Road

This project will replace the existing bridge with a four‑lane bridge with sidewalks on both sides of the bridges and a trail underpass on both ends alongside Coffee Creek to accommodate the trails system. This project is a joint project with Oklahoma County District 3. This project should take six to eight months to complete.

Safe Routes to School Project - Phase III

This project consists of adding sidewalks to provide continuity by connecting existing sidewalks on major streets and neighborhood streets close to Edmond Public Schools and the UCO Campus. These links are intended to provide better pedestrian access to schools, parks and other designations. The locations for this project are still being developed and will be decided after Community Connection meetings for the affected neighborhoods.

Coltrane, Road Bridge Replacement, 0.2 Miles North of 15th Street

This project will replace the existing bridge with a four‑lane bridge with sidewalks on both sides of the bridges and a trail underpass on both ends alongside Coffee Creek to accommodate the trails system. This will be paid for with 1996 Sales Tax receipts.

Fink to Hafer Park Trail

The Fink to Hafer Park Trail is the highest ranked trail on the City of Edmond trails and sidewalk master plan. This trail will connect UCO with Hafer Park and will provide a safe linkage for cyclists and pedestrians.
    2007 Construction

Covell Road, Thomas to Broadway

This project consists of widening Covell to a four lane divided roadway with sidewalks and bike paths. This project will also eliminate the at‑grade crossing with the railroad tracks. Covell will be depressed under the railroad tracks. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $3,607,717.65. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

15 th and Coltrane

This project consists of adding a signal light to the intersection. The estimated construction cost is $75,000.00. The anticipated start date is in 2007.

Bryant Avenue Bridge Replacement, 0.1 Miles North of 15th Street

This project will replace the existing bridge with a four‑lane bridge with sidewalks on both sides of the bridges and a trail underpass on both ends alongside Coffee Creek to accommodate the trails system. This will be paid for with 1996 Sales Tax receipts.

2nd Street Intersections at Vista and Bradbury

This project consists of widening 2nd Street to add turn lanes and Traffic Signals at Vista and Bradbury. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $820,000.00. The funding will be 100% City Funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.
    2008 Construction

15th and Broadway

This project will evaluate the existing lane capacity to determine where additional lanes are needed. Signal light modifications will accommodate any changes in the lane configurations. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $1,500,000.00. The funding split and anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

33rd Street, Coltrane to I-35

This project consists of widening 33rd Street to provide for a four lane divided roadway with left turn lanes at the side streets. The center median will be landscaped. The project will also include sidewalks. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $1,532,105.08. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

33rd and Broadway

This project will evaluate the existing lane capacity to determine where additional lanes are needed. Signal light modifications will accommodate any changes in the lane configurations. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $1,500,000.00. The funding split and anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Kelly, Coffee Creek to Waterloo

This is an Oklahoma County sponsored project that will widen road to 4 lanes with left turn lanes at all side streets. The estimated construction cost and anticipated start date is unknown at this time.
    2009 Construction

Covell, Thomas to ½ mile west of Kelly

This project will widen Covell to provide for a four‑lane road divided by a center median. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets. Covell will also include street lighting, bike paths, and landscaping. The estimated construction cost is $2,250,000.00. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.
    2010 Construction

2nd and Bryant

This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes for all four directions as well as a single right turn lane for all four directions. New signal lights will include the latest video detection technology. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $1,500,000.00. The funding split and anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

33rd and Technology Dr.

This project will add left and right turn lanes on 33rd Street as well as a new signal light. The estimated construction cost is $1,250,000.00. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Covell, ½ mile west of Kelly to Western

This project will widen Covell to provide for a four‑lane road divided by a center median. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets. Covell will also include street lighting, bike paths, and landscaping. The estimated construction cost is $2,250,000.00. The funding split will be 80% Federal Funds and 20% City Funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Kelly, Danforth to Coffee Creek

This is an Oklahoma County sponsored project that will widen road to 4 lanes with left turn lanes at all side streets. The estimated construction cost and anticipated start date is unknown at this time.
    Other Projects Near Edmond

These are projects that will affect Edmond citizens, however, they are either completely or at least partly outside our city limits. As we receive more information on these projects, we will make it available here on our website.

164th Widening (15th Street) from Pennsylvania to just east of Western
    Widen road to 4 lanes....currently under construction.

150th, Western to Penn
    Widen road to 4 lanes....currently under construction.

150th, Western to Santa Fe
    Widen road to 4 lanes

178th, Penn to Western
    Widen road from 4 to 5 lanes

Western, 150th to 164th
    Construction to begin winter 2006/07

NW 150th, Portland to May
    Construction to begin summer, 2008.

May, 150th to 164th
    Construction to begin winter 2008/09

NW 150th, May to Penn
    Construction to begin September, 2006

Penn, 150th to 164th
    Construction to begin June, 2007.

Western, 164th to 178th
    Construction to begin winter 2008/09

mamasblindgirl Guest

No i didn't know about it. Where is it at.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    From personal experience, the folks at Public Works are awesome, and will happily answer any questions you may have.
    From experience, I agree. Generally, all Edmond department staffs (except the guys running lake Arcadia for whatever reason) are happy to answer public inquiries.

Funny story. I live at 7th and University, in the heart of "old Edmond". My neighbor across the street actually remembers when the doctor she worked for back in the late 40's built his house on the corner, and everyone laughed at him for building so far out in the "country"! I'm all for growth, I just want it to be smart growth! Thanks for your consistantly thoughtful, intelligent comments.
    What can I say? That's Midtowner...

I am all for bike paths and denser development as well. Guess that makes me a liberal...

16. Default Re: new edmond highway

Hey, it is now officially cool to be liberal! Even our beloved Prez encouraged Detroit to produce more hybrid vehicles. Next thing you know, he'll get rid of the Presidential limo and replace it with a Prius. (Still have to be bulletproof as long as Dead-Eye Dick is the VP)

17. Default Re: new edmond highway

Hey, it is now officially cool to be liberal! Even our beloved Prez encouraged Detroit to produce more hybrid vehicles. Next thing you know, he'll get rid of the Presidential limo and replace it with a Prius. (Still have to be bulletproof as long as Dead-Eye Dick is the VP)

18. Default Re: new edmond highway

Can we get the railroad crossings at 15th and 33rd redone? Those things are so bumpy I have to slow down to a crawl in my car to go over them.

Poof. Your wish is granted!

On Boulevard, at least...

Thread Information