Widgets Magazine

Thread: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

1. Default We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

'Crocodile Hunter' killed in marine accident
    6.39, Mon Sep 4 2006

The Australian naturalist Steve Irwin has been killed in a marine accident.

The risk-taking wildlife expert was killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest while diving off the northeast coast of Australia.

Nicknamed "The Crocodile Hunter", Irwin caused outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby in front of a hungry crocodile.

Local diving operator Steve Edmonson, whose boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident happened, said: "Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest - he probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury."

Irwin, 44, was diving near Low Isles, near the resort town of Port Douglas about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

Police have confirmed Irwin's death and said that his family had been informed.

2. Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

See, Steve told us that crocodiles weren't that dangerous. He died in the equivalent of a traffic accident underwater. A "random" event.

I saw one of his interviews with Matt Lauer today. That interview was more confrontational than the infamous Tom Cruise interview!

Steve was a good man. He died doing the work that he loved. All of us should be so lucky.

3. Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

I was really saddened to hear of this death. He was great for wildlife conservation and his show was a wonderful learning tool for children.

He will be greatly missed, and as drumsncode said, we should all be so lucky to die doing something we love.

Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

Steve was loved by the younger set, but at the expense of Sean Connery. I read this in an article today:

Daniel, 11, asked: "Why did it have to be Steve Irwin? Why couldn't it be someone older like Sean Connery?"
    Even thought his death is sad, I thought this quote was hysterical (in more ways than one). I might just use it as a signature.

Keith Guest

Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

Strange "Crocodile Hunter" Quotes (Steve Erwin Tribute):

"Crikey means gee whiz, wow!"

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing."

"Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building."

"I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out."

"I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that."

"I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it."

"I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one."

"I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up."

Yes, I will miss him....I really enjoyed his humor, and especially his bravery. He was never afraid of a challenge.

6. Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

I'm so saddened to hear of his death. What a fluke event.

What is amazing to me is that I just took an excursion with my kids in Grand Cayman where we were able to hold and feed the stingrays! Yikes! I think I would have been much more reluctant to get so close to them had I known this was a possibility. I know there have only been between 7-10 deaths reported worldwide.. that's what makes it so hard to believe since Steve Irwin was constantly surrounded by many more dangerous animals than a sting ray.

He was a wonderful advocate for animal rights.. and he will be missed by his family and the world.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

7. Default Re: We all knew this was coming eventually----Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

I found this to be amazing.. out of over 10K emails, one from OKC was highlighted in this CNN article..

"More than 10,000 CNN.com readers worldwide have sent e-mails praising Irwin for his enthusiasm and his obvious passion for animals. Hundreds more sent photos and videos. (Gallery: Your photos)
    Many said they felt as if they'd lost a friend or family member, even though most had never met him.

"His Discovery Channel show aired the year after I was born, and I've watched him for as long as I can remember," wrote Joseph Langer of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. "I've planned on going to college and then traveling to the Australia Zoo to give them all a visit. ... His enthusiasm and passion was inspiring to me."

That is pretty incredible ..
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information