Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

It is interesting to see the different takes on architecture. I prefer vernacular architecture that conforms to 'place' instead of 'time'.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I've personally never said Cotter Ranch Tower should be re-skinned. I think a building should be representative of the time in which it was built. I'm very consistent in this regard. I don't believe any true HP advocates would support re-skinning CRT, either. Spare us your generalities.
    I personally don't think Cotter Ranch Tower should be re-skined. That style is very representative of what was considered "big city" in the 1970s and 1980s. I really wish they would fix the half-working illumination or just turn it off because right now its an embarrassment.

3. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    It is interesting to see the different takes on architecture. I prefer vernacular architecture that conforms to 'place' instead of 'time'.
    You use the term wrong. If OKC employed vernacular architecture the buildings would all be made of bison skins, plowed and stacked sod, or MAYBE red clay brick.

In previous posts, you've indicated a predilection for Art Deco. It's apparently the style with which you feel most comfortable. However, just because a lot of the buildings in the history of downtown OKC happened to be Art Deco doesn't mean that is an architectural language specific to OKC. It just means a lot of building was going on here during the Deco period. That is a dialogue with a specific time in OKC. But it is not an OKC-specific style; nor does it speak to materials or traditions native to this area. Similar buildings went up all over the U.S.

Simply put, you do indeed prefer architecture that speaks to a particular time - NOT to a place - but your taste is just stuck in the 1920s and 1930s.

This will be a substantial remodel:

OKCTalk - Skirvin to get major refresh

5. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Hope they have the bar remodel done before the playoffs or they could take a big $$ hit.

Although they say the plans are only preliminary, they do show the original tile floor in the lobby is to be replaced with stone.

I know the tile is original but IMO it really stands out, and not in a good way. I remember noticing how out of place if felt the first time I walked in after the remodel. It looks better in the photos below than in real life.

It's just this incredibly boring off-white ceramic tile. The mosaic floors in the Park Avenue Grill were definitely worth saving and won't be touched.

I'm sure some will be upset if they pull up the original flooring but I can understand why they would want something much nicer:

7. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Although they say the plans are only preliminary, they do show the original tile floor in the lobby is to be replaced with stone...

...I'm sure some will be upset if they pull up the original flooring but I can understand why they would want something much nicer...
    Count me as one who will be disappointed. I'd rather they just contrast the floors with incredible area rugs and runners. The preservation of that floor was an important piece of the justification for historic tax credits during the renovation in the aughts. Bill Skirvin installed that hard tile floor with a purpose; he wanted ranchers and oil men to feel confortable walking into his luxury hotel with muddy boots. I think it's an important element and speaks to the history of the building (and the city) and the personality of its founder and namesake.

^

I knew you would say all that!

But valid points, all.

Still, it really looks out of place and despite all their great restoration work, is in pretty lousy condition.

9. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Yeah, I know I've made that point before LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Count me as one who will be disappointed. I'd rather they just contrast the floors with incredible area rugs and runners. The preservation of that floor was an important piece of the justification for historic tax credits during the renovation in the aughts. Bill Skirvin installed that hard tile floor with a purpose; he wanted ranchers and oil men to feel confortable walking into his luxury hotel with muddy boots. I think it's an important element and speaks to the history of the building (and the city) and the personality of its founder and namesake.
    While I respect your opinion on this matter, I think what you are expressing is why some people don't support HP. The tiles are constantly dirty and unsightly. They are not particularly attractive. And how do they work with the faux bordello aesthetic?

I would hope HP would be allowed just a tad more subjective interpretation, and perhaps that makes me a philistine, but replacing those tiles, provided they make a quality choice, will greatly improve the lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    and how do they work with the faux bordello aesthetic?
    lolz

Channel 5 just reported on this and used OKCTalk as their source.

Skirvin to sell its floor for charity

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record September 21, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Carpet Concepts Owner Kay Dosser is used to removing floor tile. She’s not accustomed to companies requesting that it be saved.

Carpet Concepts removed the Skirvin Hilton Hotel’s original tile during the hotel’s $4.3 million renovation. The company also installed the marble floor in the lobby, the wood-look ceramic tile in the Red Piano Bar, and the carpet in the corridors and rooms.

“Being a historical site, it made sense (that it would be saved),” Dosser said. “It did require more careful attention to the demolition. Normally, we would go in and chunk it all up, and haul it out. This way, you would ease it up carefully and save the ones that it would let you.”

Carpet Concepts was able to save about 200 tiles. They will be sold starting Oct. 1 at the Skirvin front desk for $50 each. All proceeds benefit Positive Tomorrows, a school for homeless children.

Skirvin General Manager Gerald Rappaport said there was a moment when he didn’t think the tiles would be saved. He said he didn’t plan the fundraiser until he saw there would be enough available for sale.

“The first section was coming up in pieces,” he said. “When they started on the first 30 feet or so, I thought, ‘This isn’t going to work.’ Then we got to a section where it all just slid off; so we have more now than we probably need.”

Dosser said it took extra care to remove the tiles because they were set in a mud bed. When they were installed, the entire floor was covered in a concrete-like mixture. Then, the ceramic tiles were set in the mixture. She said it’s a deeper set than what is typically used now.

“The goal was, because of the age of the hotel, to salvage what we could in full pieces,” Dosser said.

Positive Tomorrows President Susan Agel said the nonprofit organization has enjoyed its relationship with the Skirvin. Rappaport said some activities have included taking the students to the zoo, hosting breakfasts with Santa, and providing treats for class parties.

“One year, (the Skirvin staff) did a breakfast for our students, so we took them to the hotel,” Agel said. “For some of them, it was probably the first time they had been waited on. They were drinking their chocolate milk just to see how fast their glasses would fill up again.”

She said the school has seen an increase in students. Last year, there were 58 children; now they are serving 74. She said having 16 extra students can make operations interesting.

“We have a yearly budget of about $1.5 million,” Agel said. “We get a small amount from the government, probably less than $100,000 a year. It leaves a bunch that we have to raise.”

Rappaport said he thinks people will be interested in buying the tiles. He’s lived in Oklahoma City for only about a year, and he’s heard about people’s love for the building.

“When (guests) heard the lobby floor was going to be demolished, there was a lot of sentimental value that was potentially going to go away,” he said. “We wanted to make sure people had the opportunity to own a piece of that history. It’s a win-win. Our community gets to own a piece of Skirvin history and (the hotel staff) get to do something good for a great organization.”

Skirvin to sell its floor for charity

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record September 21, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Carpet Concepts Owner Kay Dosser is used to removing floor tile. She’s not accustomed to companies requesting that it be saved.

Carpet Concepts removed the Skirvin Hilton Hotel’s original tile during the hotel’s $4.3 million renovation. The company also installed the marble floor in the lobby, the wood-look ceramic tile in the Red Piano Bar, and the carpet in the corridors and rooms.

“Being a historical site, it made sense (that it would be saved),” Dosser said. “It did require more careful attention to the demolition. Normally, we would go in and chunk it all up, and haul it out. This way, you would ease it up carefully and save the ones that it would let you.”

Carpet Concepts was able to save about 200 tiles. They will be sold starting Oct. 1 at the Skirvin front desk for $50 each. All proceeds benefit Positive Tomorrows, a school for homeless children.

Skirvin General Manager Gerald Rappaport said there was a moment when he didn’t think the tiles would be saved. He said he didn’t plan the fundraiser until he saw there would be enough available for sale.

“The first section was coming up in pieces,” he said. “When they started on the first 30 feet or so, I thought, ‘This isn’t going to work.’ Then we got to a section where it all just slid off; so we have more now than we probably need.”

Dosser said it took extra care to remove the tiles because they were set in a mud bed. When they were installed, the entire floor was covered in a concrete-like mixture. Then, the ceramic tiles were set in the mixture. She said it’s a deeper set than what is typically used now.

“The goal was, because of the age of the hotel, to salvage what we could in full pieces,” Dosser said.

Positive Tomorrows President Susan Agel said the nonprofit organization has enjoyed its relationship with the Skirvin. Rappaport said some activities have included taking the students to the zoo, hosting breakfasts with Santa, and providing treats for class parties.

“One year, (the Skirvin staff) did a breakfast for our students, so we took them to the hotel,” Agel said. “For some of them, it was probably the first time they had been waited on. They were drinking their chocolate milk just to see how fast their glasses would fill up again.”

She said the school has seen an increase in students. Last year, there were 58 children; now they are serving 74. She said having 16 extra students can make operations interesting.

“We have a yearly budget of about $1.5 million,” Agel said. “We get a small amount from the government, probably less than $100,000 a year. It leaves a bunch that we have to raise.”

Rappaport said he thinks people will be interested in buying the tiles. He’s lived in Oklahoma City for only about a year, and he’s heard about people’s love for the building.

“When (guests) heard the lobby floor was going to be demolished, there was a lot of sentimental value that was potentially going to go away,” he said. “We wanted to make sure people had the opportunity to own a piece of that history. It’s a win-win. Our community gets to own a piece of Skirvin history and (the hotel staff) get to do something good for a great organization.”

Wish they could've found a way to incorporate them (as a floor somewhere) back into the decor. However, glad the proceeds will be going to a good cause.

Would anyone be interested in buying a piece for me? I won't be in OKC again until late October and would love to have a piece but am afraid they will all be gone by then. Can pay in person when I arrive or write you a check or PayPal.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Would anyone be interested in buying a piece for me? I won't be in OKC again until late October and would love to have a piece but am afraid they will all be gone by then. Can pay in person when I arrive or write you a check or PayPal.
    catch, I'd be happy to help you out.

19. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

I think we are going to buy one. Had our wedding there and we go back once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    catch, I'd be happy to help you out.
    Thanks! I'll send you a private message.

22. Default Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

What a great example of the effectiveness of public development incentive!

A very random, yet cool development. Apparently, Kyrie Irving of the Celtics is in talks to star in a movie about The Skirvin.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25869793

Interesting move, especially with the bedbugs incident

Blog Entries

NBA Re: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Oklahoma City's Historic Skirvin Hotel

Skirvin ghost tales may get a Hollywood treatment:

The Skirvin Hilton Hotel and Effie, the fabled ghost who supposedly haunts the historic landmark, may soon be featured a Hollywood movie based on tales told by NBA players who say they've had encounters with the tragic and sometimes amorous apparition...

...We were quite aware of Effie, who legend says was a former maid impregnated by the hotelier and oil wildcatter W.B. Skirvin and then locked in the room on the 10th floor until she gave birth.

ESPN and Variety reported Monday afternoon the hotel will get the Hollywood spotlight with Imagine Entertainment announcing it has optioned an upcoming Players' Tribune oral history article on the Skirvin with the movie set to star Kyrie Irving of the Boston Celtics and “Uncle Drew” fame.

The reports do not indicate whether the studio will be filming at the historic hotel, but based on past response by the hotel's current owners, Marcus Hotels and Resorts, film crews may find themselves unwelcome guests.

Once the baby was born, the tale goes, Effie jumped, baby in her arms, to her death.

Repeat after me: It never happened.

Skirvin ghost may get a Hollywood treatment: https://www.oklahoman.com/skirvin-gh...rticle/5621437

Thread Information