Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sears in home sales

1. Default Sears in home sales

We are in the process of replacing our air conditioning system and our water heater.

So, as any smart consumer would do, I got several estimates. One from Sears.

The man came out, in fact, as I write this, he has just left. Here is how it went.

The man arrived and introduced himself. As he did, he smelled like a brewery. He then started slurring his words a bit. He had to enter the house, much to my hesitation, and one of the dogs, who always barks a lot at people she does not know, started jumping a bit and nipped his slacks. He said to her, after he kicked her "get down before I slap you."

The man treated me as if I was an uneducated bafoon, and then asked me questions that were unrelated to the job. As I declined to answer them, and as he started to gain control, I kept telling him I wanted to do it a certain way. He kept saying "slow down (addressing me by first name)" I do not appreciate salespeople addressing me by my first name unless invited to do so. Plus, as I started to tell him where everything he needed to see was, he said, in a sharp tone "I know that."

Moral is. Even if he was the lowest bid (he was far from it) I would not buy from him. In fact, I am calling his supervisor and complaining about his being drunk and his attitude toward our dog.

If you need air conditioning, do yourself a favor... Call someone other than Sears.

Default Re: Sears in home sales

You should report him for being drunk on the job.

I doubt it's the first time he's done something like this. Sears has decent products, and apparently, they trust in the professionalism of their salespeople to the point that they aren't supervised.

I was once in a supervisory position over an employee who apparently spent a good part of the day passed out on the floor while drinking on the job. I would never had known had someone not told me about it.

3. Default Re: Sears in home sales

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    You should report him for being drunk on the job.

I doubt it's the first time he's done something like this. Sears has decent products, and apparently, they trust in the professionalism of their salespeople to the point that they aren't supervised.

I was once in a supervisory position over an employee who apparently spent a good part of the day passed out on the floor while drinking on the job. I would never had known had someone not told me about it.
    Trust me.. I will. Plus he will have to answer to his supervisor anyway, because I took his tag number and called the police to report a possible DUI.

4. Default Re: Sears in home sales

Too bad he knows where you live... you might give it a few days before reporting him so he won't automatically assume it was you calling his supervisor. And if it 's not too late, tell the supervisor you prefer to remain anonymous.. you just never know with all of the crazy people running around.

He actually kicked your dog??? That is amazing.

In my opinion, Sears is one of the most expensive places for bids.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

if a repairman kicked my dog while in the house, there would of been something going on between me and him. thats just terrible.

I am in sales and you are right everything he did was wrong BUT call you by your first name. In home sales people have to overcome that awkwardness so by calling you by your first name it should make both of you feel easy. But yes you should report him, if he worked for me I would kick him to the curve FAST.

The first name thing bugs me as well Tulsa. When I was in retail, I couldn't stand it when a customer addressed me with my first name. I consider it to be too familiar for a stranger to do that -- and wearing a nametag didn't get us over that -- we were still strangers.

I quit wearing my name tag... problem solved

8. Default Re: Sears in home sales

Quote Originally Posted by In_Tulsa
    I am in sales and you are right everything he did was wrong BUT call you by your first name. In home sales people have to overcome that awkwardness so by calling you by your first name it should make both of you feel easy. But yes you should report him, if he worked for me I would kick him to the curve FAST.
    That is a brainwashing technique. Meaning employers tell their staff crap like "calling a person by their first name breaks the ice." No. It does not. I do not like most people addressing me by my first name unless invited.

Here is a question for you Tulsa. Would you address your doctor by his or her first name without their permission? Would you address Governor Henry or Congressman I(s)took by their first names? Same thing.

9. Default Re: Sears in home sales

Yeah, well, doctors and governers earned their titles.

I personally wouldn't care if a salesman called me by my first name. I mean, most of the time we call them by their first name because that's often what's on the name tag.

Kicking the dog and showing up drunk, however, do need to be reported. Completely unprofessional.

You can't expect everyone to know what you want to be called.
    Still corrupting young minds

^
    I agree. Although I didn't like it a whole lot, I never got huffy about it. Have a little perspective, take some xanex, life goes on.

11. Default Re: Sears in home sales

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd
    Yeah, well, doctors and governers earned their titles.

I personally wouldn't care if a salesman called me by my first name. I mean, most of the time we call them by their first name because that's often what's on the name tag.

Kicking the dog and showing up drunk, however, do need to be reported. Completely unprofessional.

You can't expect everyone to know what you want to be called.
    That is why the should address you by your last name. If you say "call me (whatever)" then, and ONLY then should they address you by your first name. It is a courtesy and a sign of respect.

FYI. I always hate it when companies only put the first name on their id tags. As an employee, I expect people to call me Mr. Anderson unless I invite them to do otherwise. Especially children.

In addition. I HAVE earned the title "Mister." It is called the fact I have been on this planet 51 years, plus the fact I am a potential client.

12. Default Re: Sears in home sales

An update. I spoke with the salesman's suprevisor today. The supervisor asked me to send him a letter explaining the situation. As a result, they are going to terminate the man.

Hey, I hear Sears is about to have an opening

Thread Information