Description

Enter description here.
    Latest News

Enter latest news here.
    Milestones

Links

History at Doug Loudenback's Blog
    Gallery

Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

Hey guys, just attended the bridge opening! The 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley bridge is now open. Good news for everyone!

Mayor Mick Cornett, Councilwoman Willa Johnson to ride Model T’s for Dr. G. E. Finley Bridge dedication Friday

Mayor Mick Cornett and Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson will reopen the historic Dr. G. E. Finley Bridge on Friday by crossing over the bridge in antique Fords like those that used the bridge when it first opened as the Walnut Street Bridge in 1937.

The bridge will be dedicated in a ceremony at the corner of Walnut and Sheridan at 9:30 a.m. Friday.

The Dr. G. E. Finley Bridge was built between 1934 and 1937 to carry traffic over Main Street and the Union Pacific Railroad into the warehouse district that would later become Bricktown. In 1937, the same year construction was completed, Dr. G.E. Finley opened his clinic in the Deep Deuce neighborhood at the north end of the bridge and maintained a practice there until 1999.

The bridge was closed in August, 2004 because of age and deterioration and has been undergoing extensive repair and reconstruction since then. Funding for the project came from 1989 and 2000 General Obligation Bond Issues.

Mayor Mick Cornett, Councilwoman Willa Johnson to ride Model T’s for Dr. G. E. Finley Bridge dedication Friday

Dr. Finley as well as his children and grandchildren are expected to attend the dedication.

I assume this means you can now exit 6th going south and drive straight down, across the bridge and into Bricktown?

That will make it even easier for northsiders to visit.

4. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

After 2 years of listening to hammering, banging, and pounding right outside my window, its about time!!!!!

Very nice. Now the retail and restaurant spaces in Deep Deuce can reach their potential.

This really is the new gateway to Bricktown and will make that stretch of Walnut prime real estate. I think the Triangle people own some of it, right? I just hope it doesn't become a fast food/convenience store corridor...

Can you exit tp 6th St. going North?

Yes, You can now exit north from Bricktown over the bridge, Walnut is now two-way. Check out all the new landscaping on the 6th Street entrance, it looks nice.

Dope...... I forgot to attend. Kim you shoulda reminded me. Oh well. I hope it was great, did anyone take pics? Yes, it will greatly help the Deep Deuce area. Yes McDermid's group (triangle development) owns a lot of the land in the area. The Maywood Park brownstones will be directly facing Walnut. I think Urbanworks also has some property facing 6th and/or Walnut.

9. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

pics anyone?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

Got down there today myself. It is indeed a straight shot from 6th and Walnut into Bricktown: the bridge itself is three lanes, two northbound, one southbound. I think another Wayfinder sign, visible as you exit I-235 at 6th, would be most welcome.

11. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

Just drove it going south. Very nice gateway into Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback
    Just drove it going south. Very nice gateway into Bricktown.
    I concur. Did the same myself.

13. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

I also drove south into Bricktown over the bridge. It's an excellent view coming down into Bricktown as well as looking west towards the CBD.

14. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

Unfortunately, I was out of town over the weekend and couldn't attend the dedication. Here is an August 2004 article that provides a little background on this project, but only hints at the complete story.

City to rebuild Walnut Avenue bridgeSteve Lackmeyer
    08/18/04

Oklahoma City Council members agreed Tuesday to seek construction bids to rebuild the Walnut Avenue bridge -- even though they have no assurance of recovering up to half the cost from the Union Pacific Railroad.

The bridge is a main entry to Bricktown and a key link between the entertainment district and nearby Deep Deuce. The span was closed last week after engineers determined failing steel beams and crumbling concrete made it unsafe for motorists and pedestrians.
    "The roadway surface has holes in it, and it's very deteriorated," City Engineer Paul Brum said.

Bids will be due Sept. 21. Brum said while the bridge is being rebuilt, the city will start a separate $1.5 million project to realign the southbound Interstate 235/NW 6 exit to allow traffic to travel directly onto Walnut Avenue.

Once completed, Walnut Avenue will be converted from one-way to two-way traffic. Landscaping, sidewalks and other gateway improvements are planned at the bridge.

The Walnut Avenue bridge has been scheduled for repairs the past decade, but years of debate on its future and questions over its funding delayed the project.

The city council ordered a reconstruction of the bridge three years ago after a heated battle between preservationists who wanted to see the 70-year-old span restored and Brum, who wanted it torn down and replaced with an at-grade railroad crossing.

Union Pacific officials favored keeping the bridge. Brum said project delays were caused by the railroad officials' uncertainty whether they would continue to run a main line under the bridge and whether Union Pacific would pay half of the $3.23 million project.

Brum said questions over the bridge's design are resolved, though the railroad has yet to agree to pay for part of the project.

City Manager Jim Couch said: "There is some risk involved because we don't have anything signed by the railroad. But we've got to build this regardless of whether there is any involvement of the railroad or not."

- - - - - - -

There were several hearings at the Planning Commission and City Council. The "Preservationists" were led by Randy Floyd, an Oklahoma City Architect.

There had been about $1.2M in funds from a 1989 bond election set aside for a new bridge, but for some Jim Brewer was promoting an extremely steep street with an at-grade RR crossing at the bottom and he had persuaded then Public Works Director Paul Brum to support the idea. Brewer and Brum had no engineering drawings of their street concept, but were trotting around a rather inaccurate rendering of the proposed street and had gotten the Bricktown Association to agree with them. Of course, they hadn't been to the Corporation Commission with their idea
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

15. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

Unfortunately, I was out of town over the weekend and couldn't attend the dedication. Here is an August 2004 article that provides a little background on this project, but only hints at the complete story.

City to rebuild Walnut Avenue bridgeSteve Lackmeyer
    08/18/04

Oklahoma City Council members agreed Tuesday to seek construction bids to rebuild the Walnut Avenue bridge -- even though they have no assurance of recovering up to half the cost from the Union Pacific Railroad.

The bridge is a main entry to Bricktown and a key link between the entertainment district and nearby Deep Deuce. The span was closed last week after engineers determined failing steel beams and crumbling concrete made it unsafe for motorists and pedestrians.
    "The roadway surface has holes in it, and it's very deteriorated," City Engineer Paul Brum said.

Bids will be due Sept. 21. Brum said while the bridge is being rebuilt, the city will start a separate $1.5 million project to realign the southbound Interstate 235/NW 6 exit to allow traffic to travel directly onto Walnut Avenue.

Once completed, Walnut Avenue will be converted from one-way to two-way traffic. Landscaping, sidewalks and other gateway improvements are planned at the bridge.

The Walnut Avenue bridge has been scheduled for repairs the past decade, but years of debate on its future and questions over its funding delayed the project.

The city council ordered a reconstruction of the bridge three years ago after a heated battle between preservationists who wanted to see the 70-year-old span restored and Brum, who wanted it torn down and replaced with an at-grade railroad crossing.

Union Pacific officials favored keeping the bridge. Brum said project delays were caused by the railroad officials' uncertainty whether they would continue to run a main line under the bridge and whether Union Pacific would pay half of the $3.23 million project.

Brum said questions over the bridge's design are resolved, though the railroad has yet to agree to pay for part of the project.

City Manager Jim Couch said: "There is some risk involved because we don't have anything signed by the railroad. But we've got to build this regardless of whether there is any involvement of the railroad or not."

- - - - - - -

There were several hearings at the Planning Commission and City Council. The "Preservationists" were led by Randy Floyd, an Oklahoma City Architect.

There had been about $1.2M in funds from a 1989 bond election set aside for a new bridge, but for some Jim Brewer was promoting an extremely steep street with an at-grade RR crossing at the bottom and he had persuaded then Public Works Director Paul Brum to support the idea. Brewer and Brum had no engineering drawings of their street concept, but were trotting around a rather inaccurate rendering of the proposed street and had gotten the Bricktown Association to agree with them. Of course, they hadn't been to the Corporation Commission with their idea
    The Old Downtown Guy

16. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

The first part of this seemed to post spontaneously. I hate it when that happens, so I will compose the balance of the story off-line and post it later.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It's an excellent view coming down into Bricktown as well as looking west towards the CBD.
    It really is. It looks like some of the brownstones will have great city views.

18. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

I was out of town over the weekend and couldn't attend the dedication. Sorry I missed it.

Here is an August 2004 article that provides a little background on this project, but only hints at the complete story.

City to rebuild Walnut Avenue bridge
    Steve Lackmeyer
    08/18/04

- - - - - - -

This is the more detailed version of the story as I recall it. I’m sure that my recollection of the history of this project is somewhat shaded by my close relationship with the small band of dedicated people that took on The City’s powerful Public Works Director and eventually prevailed, but, I think it's pretty damn close.

There were several hearings at the Planning Commission and at City Council. The "Preservationists" were led by an OKC Architect.

There had been about $1.2M in funds from a 1989 bond election set aside for a new bridge, but for some reason, Bricktown developer Jim Brewer was promoting the idea of replacing the bridge with a street, and had persuaded then Public Works Director Paul Brum to support the idea. They insisted that the railroads were going to abandon the tracks and that there was no need for the grade separated crossing that the bridge provided. In fact, there had been no discussions with the railroads regarding future plans for the tracks in question. Brewer and Brum had no engineering drawings of their very steep street concept, but were trotting around a totally inaccurate rendering of the proposed street and had convinced the Bricktown Association to agree with them, so the Bricktown Association was on record as opposing replacing the dilapidated bridge with an updated version of the historic structure and sent their president to represent their view at City Council hearings. Several very vocal individuals were also in favor of the street idea and either appeared at City Council and/or wrote letters decrying the idea of replacing the bridge with a bridge. Strangely, last week, some of those same folks were overjoyed with the new bridge and couldn’t wait for the dedication. They seemed to have conveniently forgotten about their past opposition; not surprising.

Some of Brum and Brewer’s arguments for a five lane street rather than a bridge were totally absurd and included asserting the need for greater traffic capacity coming into Bricktown from I-235, suggesting that some how there would be more parking using the street design vs. a bridge, and trying to demonstrate that people would have a really difficult time finding the new north side parking lots because they would have to make too many turns once they got to the foot of the bridge.

Of course, Brewer and Brum hadn't been to the Corporation Commission with their idea, which is the Oklahoma State Agency that has the final say over every thing to do with railroad construction. Since there were active railroad tracks involved, a Corporation Commission hearing was a required step. The preservationist group informed City officials of this at several public hearings and finally in writing, but since The City can be a little pig headed some times, the suggestion fell on deaf ears. The City’s legal staff was finally asked by the City Manager about the requisite process and couch was advised that The City would have to get the State Corporation Commission’s approval to change the railroad crossing from a grade separated bridge to at-grade.

It was not until The City was turned down at the Corporation Commission following a hearing on February 20, 2001, that they relented and agreed to reconstruct the bridge. At that point, replicating the historic design was agreed to. One of the preservationists, even managed to locate one of the original light poles in the front yard of a Heritage Hills home and it is my understanding that those are being replicated as well, although they were not in place for the dedication last week.

Though the bridge, which is located in Ward 7, was used several times by civil rights activists led by Clara Luper in the 60s and numerous individuals from the surrounding community, including Dr. Finley, shared wonderful stories of their memories about the old Walnut Avenue bridge with the Planning Commission and City Council, Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson was opposed to reconstructing the bridge from the beginning. It was, then Ward 2 Councilwoman, Amy Brooks who provided the political leadership that resulted in the Council choosing to replicate the historic design of the original bridge and arranged for the final engineer’s drawings to be reviewed by the preservationists to insure as high degree of accuracy and authenticity as possible.

Had a tiny group of citizens not taken a stand for good urban design and historic preservation, the City of Oklahoma City, as represented by then Public Works Director Paul Brum, would have had its way; the original Walnut Avenue bridge would be just another fading memory. Instead, we would have a five lane street flanked by twenty foot high concrete retaining walls; no nice view of the skyline, no history preserved, no memorial to Dr. Finley.

Good summary ODG. There was a mention of this bridge in Lakermeyer's article today:

http://www.newsok.com/article/2776657

...more than 100 people gathered to celebrate the opening of the G.E. Finley Bridge between Deep Deuce and Bricktown last Friday, despite triple-digit heat. Former public works Director Paul Brum saw no need for the bridge and spent years looking for ways to replace the decades-old span with a street crossing over rarely used train tracks.

Preservationists, led by downtown architect Randy Floyd, argued the bridge was historic and worth saving, even if it meant rebuilding most of it.

Floyd's side won -- a victory that probably wouldn't have been possible a decade earlier -- and now even opponents are marveling at the view it provides to visitors as they first enter the thriving entertainment district.
    It seems to me that Brum and Brewer really do represent the old guard, who can not see any intrinsic value in any property or development unless it involves destruction and lots of black top. They are the kind of people that built the Oklahoma City that everyone derided. The preservationists and visionaries like Randy Floyd are the ones that are building the OKC that's gaining status nationally.

The bridge is great and its preservation may actually serve as a symbol of OKC's embolden self image and self respect. Hopefully, we will continue this trend of improving the city, instead of tearing it down.

20. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

The historic replication lights and cast iron poles are now in place and are quite a sight. I have only seen them unilluminated this morning and am looking forward to getting the full effect after dark this evening.

Big time thanks to Randy Floyd and all of her bridge-hugging friends that made this important project a reality.
    The Old Downtown Guy

I thought the event was tasteful myself. But I disagree with the naming a bridge after one person. I liked calling it Walnut Street Bridge. I think a larger-than-life bust of Dr. Finley in honour of his social implications, would have been more appropriate.

I agree Hokie Okie, I'd rather have kept the name and dedicated a statue at either end of the bridge.

23. Default Re: 6th Street Gateway and GE Finley Bridge Open!

There were some politics involved in this naming but I tend to agree with you guys. Dr. Finley is a wonderful man and rated way more than just having his name memorilized on that bridge, even as important a structure as it is.

That makes two statues that need to be errected in Bricktown; one of Dr. Finley and one of Neal Horton.
    The Old Downtown Guy

Thread Information