Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default Re: IKEA

Mgharfeh-
    If they can stick to that design, then I’m encouraged. Thank you for posting it, and welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ at a minimum I feel like that, widening the Eastbound Service road(memorial), adding Texas turn around under the turnpike, dual turn and right turn lanes at lights, as well a continuous center turn lane on Western and Penn should be done.

In an ideal world, all roads would be widened to 6 lanes with Penn and Western having landscaped medians and Memorial widened to 8 lanes in immediate area. Western and Penn should also at least get class 2 bike lanes and ROW should also be preserved for a future rail and bike corridor to make future planning for a light rail network easier.
    I just don't see how you could fit all of those lanes in... I agree with the texas turnarounds and the center turn lanes, but widening to 6 and 8 lanes just doesn't make sense.

Theres plenty of room. Many cities do it, why is OKC any different?

Theres plenty of room. Many cities do it, why is OKC any different?
    When you say there is plenty of room for Memorial to be 8 lanes, I'm curious. Do you mean 4 along the north and 4 along the south, or are you just taking the piss? Because even just 4 lanes each way, it's very difficult to see how there is room. You just mentioned the eastbound lanes, so I'm not sure if you mean just that, both sides, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    When you say there is plenty of room for Memorial to be 8 lanes, I'm curious. Do you mean 4 along the north and 4 along the south, or are you just taking the piss? Because even just 4 lanes each way, it's very difficult to see how there is room. You just mentioned the eastbound lanes, so I'm not sure if you mean just that, both sides, or what.
    Yes, 4 lanes each way. There is more than enough room. Even if Chisholm Creek would remove that squiggly sidewalk and make it straight, they could fit the two new lanes on that ROW alone without encroaching on OTA ROW. There would be right fit on Pennsylvania in parts between Memorial and NW 122nd for six lanes, but any building demolitions are unlikely. Some parking lots might have to go. Buildings would be closer to the sidewalk than they are now giving the area a more urban feel. I’d prefer an extra car lane vs. bike lanes on Penn if push comes to shove.

At this point, if it were just the eastbound lanes that were widened, I’d be fine with too as I don’t think the westbound lanes will be getting as much traffic, though I could be wrong on that. For Memorial, in this scenario, if I were to get what I want, I’d remove the 4th lane after Western and drop it back to 3 lanes in each direction which I think the road should be anyways.

So if we take the Portland IKEA store, and place it in the "large retailer" area of the master plan, we get this:

Put the parking to the north, which should be plenty of room (even more if they would put it on top of parking like in Portland, which I wouldn't expect). So to me it looks like it really wouldn't change the master plan all that much, other than putting one really large retailer in the area marked for two slightly smaller "large retailer".

Alternatively I could see them place it on Highland Avenue near Walmart.

Chisholm Creek updated their site plans with more detail than previous renderings. Sadly the area that said “large retailer” is gone and there’s no retail shell that appears ikea sized. I hope this isn’t bad news for Ikea still coming?

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    Chisholm Creek updated their site plans with more detail than previous renderings. Sadly the area that said “large retailer” is gone and there’s no retail shell that appears ikea sized. I hope this isn’t bad news for Ikea still coming?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.day...uuvpN/amp.html

It doesn’t look good.

That article was posted in June of last year, a couple of months before Pete posted that IKEA was looking. I wouldn't really look at the site plan for evidence of anything happening/not happening either because they are always changing the site plan which could be seen as a negative in some ways.

That being said I'm not expecting IKEA to come here, but wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that they are coming to town.

Blog Entries

IKEA has canceled all new stores in the US except for small display stores in downtowns of huge cities. They are focusing on internet sales.

Swake, any proof of that? How do you know Ikea cancelled their new stores?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Swake, any proof of that? How do you know Ikea cancelled their new stores?
    A quick Google search ("ikea cancels US stores") is discouraging. Around May/June 2018 they dialed back plans on a small number of stores. Then a few other sites picked up word and there are articles from December 2018 talking about the "small stores in downtowns" idea.

I can find no evidence that IKEA has no plans to build anything but these trial concept stores, I can find no evidence that IKEA does have plans to build anything but these trial concept stores. It is entirely possible that the new trial concept is indeed the future. It is equally possible that it's simply a misunderstanding, and the trial concept is going to work in places such as Manhattan whereas a regular store never would.

So, to answer the question, no, there's no 'proof' of anything.

I'll get an update soon but yes, IKEA came to town after that article and I know conversations have continued.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    A quick Google search ("ikea cancels US stores") is discouraging. Around May/June 2018 they dialed back plans on a small number of stores. Then a few other sites picked up word and there are articles from December 2018 talking about the "small stores in downtowns" idea.

I can find no evidence that IKEA has no plans to build anything but these trial concept stores, I can find no evidence that IKEA does have plans to build anything but these trial concept stores. It is entirely possible that the new trial concept is indeed the future. It is equally possible that it's simply a misunderstanding, and the trial concept is going to work in places such as Manhattan whereas a regular store never would.

So, to answer the question, no, there's no 'proof' of anything.
    Last May IKEA canceled every large store format location in the US where they had not yet purchased the land. The two sites (Marietta, GA and Dublin, CA) where they do have the land but had not started construction as of May 2018 still have not started construction.

IKEA said pulling out of the the Cary location was not about any deficiencies in the town, but was part of a corporate strategy to curtail some of its expansion projects and focus on other initiatives.

"Over the last year, IKEA U.S. has been on a journey to expand our multi-channel shopping experience with new retail locations, enhanced technology and greater accessibility to meet today’s customers where they are in today’s fast-changing retail environment," Ikea said in a statement to The News & Observer. "As part of this journey, we have challenged ourselves to re-evaluate some of our upcoming expansion projects. While this is an extremely difficult decision, we will not be moving forward with our plans to build a store in Cary, N.C. We appreciate the outpouring of support and excitement that our fans have expressed, and we are disappointed that we will not be able to physically join the vibrant Cary community. "

A spokeswoman said the company wasn't in a position to disclose whether other expansion projects will proceed or not, some of which are already under development. Last year, Ikea announced it would open stores in Nashville and in Glendale, Arizona, in 2020.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...211750844.html

And Nashville and Glendale ALSO were canceled, with the same quote:
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ore/646669002/
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ess/655317002/

And stopped negotiations with a suburban Cleveland site:
    https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...aint-happening

Pete, I will await your update on this issue. Hopefully they are still in negotiations to open in Oklahoma City near Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Last May IKEA canceled every large store format location in the US where they had not yet purchased the land. The two sites (Marietta, GA and Dublin, CA) where they do have the land but had not started construction as of May 2018 still have not started construction.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...211750844.html

And Nashville and Glendale ALSO were canceled, with the same quote:
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ore/646669002/
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ess/655317002/

And stopped negotiations with a suburban Cleveland site:
    https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...aint-happening
    Yea, doesn't look too promising no matter how you look at it. Actions speak louder than words. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep looking for prospects in the event they change their mind.

I posted an article about them laying off employees . Most just brushed it off as just something they were doing in Europe.

i would just like to point out that Pete says the conversations with OKC took place after all of this... and that he would work to get an update. i will wait to think anything on this project till i hear back on what he finds.

They were still in active negotiations a month ago and should have more soon.

And just to be clear, this was never a done deal for OKC. But they absolutely have been in the market and talking to property owners about opening a store here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

And just to be clear, this was never a done deal for OKC. But they absolutely have been in the market and talking to property owners about opening a store here.
    thanks Pete. good to hear it was at least still being discussed just a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

In Pete we trust

21. Default Re: IKEA

if Memphis and Milwaukee can have an IKEA, so can OKC.

If incentives help get them here (with the clause that the OKC store is the only in the state/region), then make it happen.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I heard that at one point they were planning to build in Midwest City but Mathis Brothers caught wind and purchased the land out from under them. No clue to the validity of that info, however.

Its not about OKC being deserving of an IKEA or not. Things have changed. The stores they build in the future will probably be smaller.

Yes, 4 lanes each way. There is more than enough room. Even if Chisholm Creek would remove that squiggly sidewalk and make it straight, they could fit the two new lanes on that ROW alone without encroaching on OTA ROW. There would be right fit on Pennsylvania in parts between Memorial and NW 122nd for six lanes, but any building demolitions are unlikely. Some parking lots might have to go. Buildings would be closer to the sidewalk than they are now giving the area a more urban feel. I’d prefer an extra car lane vs. bike lanes on Penn if push comes to shove.

At this point, if it were just the eastbound lanes that were widened, I’d be fine with too as I don’t think the westbound lanes will be getting as much traffic, though I could be wrong on that. For Memorial, in this scenario, if I were to get what I want, I’d remove the 4th lane after Western and drop it back to 3 lanes in each direction which I think the road should be anyways.
    He’s right....OKC needs more lanes, were so spread out and hopelessly addicted to cars. The feet’s and wheels have no chance.

Edit: double post. PS after witnessing OK’s allergy to anything but cars for all my life. I give up. Widen everything and let’s be Los Angeles...or hell, Phoenix,

Thread Information