Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 212223242526

Thread: IKEA

Default Re: IKEA

Mgharfeh-
    If they can stick to that design, then I’m encouraged. Thank you for posting it, and welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ at a minimum I feel like that, widening the Eastbound Service road(memorial), adding Texas turn around under the turnpike, dual turn and right turn lanes at lights, as well a continuous center turn lane on Western and Penn should be done.

In an ideal world, all roads would be widened to 6 lanes with Penn and Western having landscaped medians and Memorial widened to 8 lanes in immediate area. Western and Penn should also at least get class 2 bike lanes and ROW should also be preserved for a future rail and bike corridor to make future planning for a light rail network easier.
    I just don't see how you could fit all of those lanes in... I agree with the texas turnarounds and the center turn lanes, but widening to 6 and 8 lanes just doesn't make sense.

Theres plenty of room. Many cities do it, why is OKC any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Theres plenty of room. Many cities do it, why is OKC any different?
    When you say there is plenty of room for Memorial to be 8 lanes, I'm curious. Do you mean 4 along the north and 4 along the south, or are you just taking the piss? Because even just 4 lanes each way, it's very difficult to see how there is room. You just mentioned the eastbound lanes, so I'm not sure if you mean just that, both sides, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    When you say there is plenty of room for Memorial to be 8 lanes, I'm curious. Do you mean 4 along the north and 4 along the south, or are you just taking the piss? Because even just 4 lanes each way, it's very difficult to see how there is room. You just mentioned the eastbound lanes, so I'm not sure if you mean just that, both sides, or what.
    Yes, 4 lanes each way. There is more than enough room. Even if Chisholm Creek would remove that squiggly sidewalk and make it straight, they could fit the two new lanes on that ROW alone without encroaching on OTA ROW. There would be right fit on Pennsylvania in parts between Memorial and NW 122nd for six lanes, but any building demolitions are unlikely. Some parking lots might have to go. Buildings would be closer to the sidewalk than they are now giving the area a more urban feel. I’d prefer an extra car lane vs. bike lanes on Penn if push comes to shove.

At this point, if it were just the eastbound lanes that were widened, I’d be fine with too as I don’t think the westbound lanes will be getting as much traffic, though I could be wrong on that. For Memorial, in this scenario, if I were to get what I want, I’d remove the 4th lane after Western and drop it back to 3 lanes in each direction which I think the road should be anyways.

So if we take the Portland IKEA store, and place it in the "large retailer" area of the master plan, we get this:

Put the parking to the north, which should be plenty of room (even more if they would put it on top of parking like in Portland, which I wouldn't expect). So to me it looks like it really wouldn't change the master plan all that much, other than putting one really large retailer in the area marked for two slightly smaller "large retailer".

Alternatively I could see them place it on Highland Avenue near Walmart.

Thread Information