Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Center

1. Default Re: Century Center

I don't think you guys are getting an adequate picture or vision of what's about to take place with Century Center. But that's understandable as not a lot of detail has gone out yet. I'd advise everyone that any opinions at this point might be premature. I suspect this picture will evolve somewhat once all details are out.

Default Re: Century Center

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I don't think you guys are getting an adequate picture or vision of what's about to take place with Century Center. But that's understandable as not a lot of detail has gone out yet. I'd advise everyone that any opinions at this point might be premature. I suspect this picture will evolve somewhat once all details are out.
    Then I'm going to be blown away. I'd be excited to see any facade improvement, filling it up with office space, a new restaurant and a shop or two.

Yeppers. Better parking, ore activity, better looking facility, and the death of a big and long dead void. Hard not to like it, as it takes far less than planned thus far to be a major improvement. If there is even more icing on the cake, color this chubby man happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    a complete and total remodel of all the office space ... the addition of a new (most likely upscale) restaurant with patio on the southwest corner and the addition of 4 levels of parking .. on top of all of that the replacement of the entire facade .. turning this into what will in essence the best looking parking garage in the city ..

am i missing anything??

I have to admit I'm disappointed that there won't be more retail (was hoping for a drugstore/convenience store type) but it will be good to see some improvements made and the filling of the cavity of the ground and second floor. Also glad to know the parking availability will remain as is plus more - downtown workers will have some additional monthly slots, hopefully. I'm glad I've kept my monthly pass paid up - even at $100 a month, still worth it for convenience and safety.

If we are talking about wish lists, I REALLY hope a solid convenience store goes in here.
    Downtown is BADLY in need of one of these..
    A place to grab a fountain drink, or a snack is just not available down here in walking distance.
    Perhaps an urban 7-Eleven or an OnCue Express?

I can see OnCue doing that. They're somewhat locally based (Stillwater) and have demonstrated design flexibility on Western Ave.

Or in my dreams... A QuikTrip. Of course, that'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Or in my dreams... A QuikTrip. Of course, that'll never happen.
    sorry to go off topic, but

i've been to many a QuikTrip's and i have to say... while they are better than most of the 7-11's around here... i don't see the obsession with them being so wonderful. when it comes down to it, it's still just a convenient store

Curious, as I am not recalling a single one. is there a single newish (say, less than eight years old) 7/11, OnCue, Love's, QTrip, C-K, etc. that does not include a multiple outlet fuel service?

They are cleaner, have better products, better fountain/smoothie/coffee options, and better staff (this is a product of better compensation and benefits). They're pretty much better in every way. Have you seen the new Quik Trips. They're much more than a gas station.

On Cue has basically modeled itself after QT. they've done a decent job, but it still isn't near the overall quality of product.

We have QT hear in the DFW area so I do frequent them on a semi regular basis. When I am in OKC I have also made an effort to go to OnCue. To be honest, I feel like OnCue is as "good" or "better" than QT in the design, cleanliness, functionality of their stores. OnCue has patterned their business almost identical to QT. I will say, that QT has better sandwiches and salads and their pastries are better than OnCue. I like the feature of Oncue with their frozen yogurt and toppings bar. The QT's that I have been to did not have this feature. OnCue also has drive thru service which I have not seen with QT? I feel that OnCue has a bright future and with a little twiking on their products, it will be as good as QT. Give Tulsa a run for their money, lol. Now saying that, back on topic....................
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 12-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Curious, as I am not recalling a single one. is there a single newish (say, less than eight years old) 7/11, OnCue, Love's, QTrip, C-K, etc. that does not include a multiple outlet fuel service?
    Kevin - not around here, but in D.C. I've seen at least one non-fuel C-store with similar amenities as QT. It was locally owned, not a chain - but had coffee bar, drinks, ready-made sandwiches and other impulse as well as needed items to get by. Would love to see one downtown - for workers as well as visitors. If I had a nickel for every time I was asked where someone could find a convenience store in CBD, I could open up a store myself!

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    They are cleaner, have better products, better fountain/smoothie/coffee options, and better staff (this is a product of better compensation and benefits). They're pretty much better in every way. Have you seen the new Quik Trips. They're much more than a gas station.
    QT has a pretty cool icee section and they have an urban model store at 15th and Denver.

16. Default Re: Century Center

QT is NOT coming to OKC unless the Brown family sells its 7-Elevens. They have a long-standing verbal non-compete agreement - got this rumor confirmed by folks in the business. So that's that.

A business hanging by a thread...or a noncempetition agreement

Worst agreement ever. Everyone would choose QT given the choice.

Back to the Century Center...

Hearing from more than one source that OPUBCO will be moving into the office space in the renovated building.

Remember, American Fidelity bought their tower and related properties on Broadway Extension and Britton and at the time, OPUBCO said they would ultimately be vacating down the road. The timing seems to make sense where it will take a couple of years for the CC to be complete, then the Oklahoman and related businesses could completely vacate their old HQ.

HangryHippo Guest

This would be a welcome addition downtown and I applaud the OPUBCO if this is true.

Notice how Steve said in the chat on Friday that there would be an announcement that would personally mean the most to him. I think with his late father's history with CC and he working for OPUBCO, you might be on to something here. Just a thought.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Notice how Steve said in the chat on Friday that there would be an announcement that would personally mean the most to him. I think with his late father's history with CC and he working for OPUBCO, you might be on to something here. Just a thought.
    Very interesting point. I agree completely.

So Century Center might fulfill its original goal, albeit half-a-century late.

I'm now being told there will likely be an announcement this Friday (the 18th) concerning OPUBCO moving to a renovated Century Center.

Scooping Steve on this could leave an indelible mark.

Thread Information