Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

1. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

And the teensy Soul Boutique (Fashion First) deserves some sort of recognition as a 23rd Street icon; it's been there for more than thirty years. (If I remember correctly, it originally opened in the early 1970s in what used to be the Records, Inc. building on the northeast corner of 23rd and Classen.)

Jack Guest

Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

We need some good tattoo shops in the area to go along with the nearby Paseo area.

Good idea. You could finally get that tat you always wanted:

A tour of the theatre would be great. Any chance of getting a group together? I know it hasn't worked out to well before but what do you say?

I agree. I know there are quite a few who would like to get a 'before' look at the Tower. A group tour might be better as to not inconvenience Mr. Fife. Perhaps a weekday evening or weekend tour?

I'm in!

I would be happy to open up for a tour. Would Sunday at 1:00 be good? Scott Fife 606-8458

7. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Quote Originally Posted by fife
    Thanks for the support of the Tower Theater (www.okctower.com)project! We, The Uptown Development Group, feel this area is poised for a come back. No other street in Oklahoma can boast a major university and the State Capitol, both within 1.5 miles of the Tower. It is true the project will require a lot of work, but to see this historically significant area, on the original Route 66, thrive again, will be worth it. Plesae note the Dollar General store is 1 block East. If any one is interested in touring the historic theater please let us know.

Thank you,

Scott Fife
    The Uptown Development Group
    info@okctower.com
    Scott, I'm excited about your project! I recall enjoying the fine Tower Theater many times as a younger man ... The Sound of Music comes to mind, but there were others. AND, its in my neighborhood, as I live on NW 19th! So, this is good news for me, personally, as well as for Oklahoma City, generally.

BTW, in the images area of your website, the images wouldn't load on my computer, FWIW.

8. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I agree. I know there are quite a few who would like to get a 'before' look at the Tower. A group tour might be better as to not inconvenience Mr. Fife. Perhaps a weekday evening or weekend tour?

I'm in!
    Me, too!

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fife
    I would be happy to open up for a tour. Would Sunday at 1:00 be good? Scott Fife 606-8458
    I wouldn't be available Sunday, but maybe we can get a group together here some other time.

Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Bummer.

Patrick Guest

It's Spring Break. We might have a better chance arranging a tour another week.

12. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

First off there is no "Ghetto" in OKC. We don't have daily drive-bys or gang fights on the 400 block of NW 23rd Street. How do I know this? because I have been working 10 hour days, 5-6 days a week, at once of the most respected professional piercing studios in the nation, for over 7 years now, which has been open since May 1995. Before anyone pre-judges us as "Ghetto" or "Hoodish", they should come by for a tour of our amazing studio. They will walk out with only one expression... which is always "WOW"... Take a virtual tour of our studio at 23rd Street Body Piercing

On the first page, was that the Jack fellow who I was supposed to be???

ChristianConservative Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HenryRubin View Post
    First off there is no "Ghetto" in OKC. We don't have daily drive-bys or gang fights on the 400 block of NW 23rd Street. How do I know this? because I have been working 10 hour days, 5-6 days a week, at once of the most respected professional piercing studios in the nation, for over 7 years now, which has been open since May 1995. Before anyone pre-judges us as "Ghetto" or "Hoodish", they should come by for a tour of our amazing studio. They will walk out with only one expression... which is always "WOW"... Take a virtual tour of our studio at 23rd Street Body Piercing
    Are you actually making a post here, or trying to find free advertising?

I think he made a very knowledgeable testimony regarding the area. It is amazing the perception many have of their own city, especially considering how little of this city most residents actually experience. I'd certainly take the word of someone who has worked there for 7 years over that of some people who have maybe driven past it 7 times in as many years. When discussing the state of the neighborhood, I’d say the view point of a resident is very informative and the condition of a local business very relavent.

I don't consider the 23rd and Broadway area the best part of town, but okay.

Of course you don't. Just like I'm sure no one thought Bricktown was a great part of town. That strip is one of the last high traffic places in Oklahoma City to have the potential to have great street front commerce and night life. It hasn't yet been absorbed by parking lots and tick tacky development. It has a great mix of local businesses and services not found elsewhere in the city and the Tower theater has the potential to take it to the next level.

Right now it may not have commerece targeted to your demographic, but that doesn't make it a bad part of town. It may not be the best part of town for your prefernces, but that doesn't mean it's the hell hole you may think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Of course you don't. Just like I'm sure no one thought Bricktown was a great part of town. That strip is one of the last high traffic places in Oklahoma City to have the potential to have great street front commerce and night life. It hasn't yet been absorbed by parking lots and tick tacky development. It has a great mix of local businesses and services not found elsewhere in the city and the Tower theater has the potential to take it to the next level.

Right now it may not have commerece targeted to your demographic, but that doesn't make it a bad part of town. It may not be the best part of town for your demographic, but that doesn't mean it's the hell hole you may think it is.
    I never said it didn't have potential to be one heck of an entertainment strip. Currently though, the clientale in that area leaves much to be desired.

What do you desire it to be? What businesses don't you like and why?

Patrick Guest

What do you desire it to be? What businesses don't you like and why?
    I'll chime in here.

I wouldn't say it's the businesses as much as it is the community around it that I think Conservative is referring to. The neighborhoods around that area are pretty run down.

It could be a pretty nice bustling strip of upscale night clubs, quality dance clubs, one state of the art drama playhouse, etc. Much like Brookside in Tulsa.

But, that's probably not what Conservative would want.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'll chime in here.

I wouldn't say it's the businesses as much as it is the community around it that I think Conservative is referring to. The neighborhoods around that area are pretty run down.

It could be a pretty nice bustling strip of upscale night clubs, quality dance clubs, one state of the art drama playhouse, etc. Much like Brookside in Tulsa.

But, that's probably not what Conservative would want.
    Yes Patrick, the first comment is exactly what I'm referring to.

I wouldn't have a problem with the strip becoming an upscale collection of night life, it would just need to be upscale to turn away the low life.
    I have no problem with night life, I'm just not into it myself.

removed

Well, it is also between some of the best neighborhoods in Oklahoma City. Personally, I'd like to see Automobile Alley resemble the vision you guys are talking about with upscale services. And I think it is headed that way. But, I also think that we need an area that appeals to younger people with more of an edge and more of a forward thinking mentality. Usually these places are in lower income areas (at least they start out that way).

That area of 23rd is kind of teetering on that, with some vintage stores, galleries, tattooing and piercing and the Blue Note. I think the Tower could possible tip it over the edge. For that area I am thinking more Deep Ellum, Melrose, Wicker Park, East village, etc. Obviously these areas have been gentrified and upscaled in the recent decade or so, but their roots are more of being exciting alternatives for young creatives and progressive residents. Yes, it will never appeal to the gated community types, but should everything in the city be that way or, an even better question, can the city support endless developments targeted to that lifestyle? And, subsequently, is every neighborhood that isn't pristine and upscale a bad neighborhood?

There are some great apartment and office buildings along that strip that could be fixed up just a bit and make great affordable housing for younger residents new to the city and looking for something a little more exciting and original than currently available in OKC. In my mind, the number one thing that characterizes a successful and vibrant city is one with a variety of vibrant neighborhoods, each with their own unique characteristics and choices. 23rd helps us in that regard. But I think its successful future lies in expanding upon its current unique characteristics as opposed to reinventing it as an upscale enclave.

24. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I don't consider the 23rd and Broadway area the best part of town, but okay.
    23rd and Broadway is about three blocks west of the Oklahoma State Capitol and about three blocks east of the Tower Theater. Whether that is the best part of town, worst part of town or just part of town is certainly a matter of personal opinion; mine has less to do with extremes and is that the area is still going through a period of transition from neglect to revitalization. My observation is that the causes of the decline are numerous, the period of decline measured in decades, the challenges of revitalization are multi-facetted and the period of redevelopment is protracted.

I am aquainted with the business refered to above, 23rd Street Body Piercing, located in the same block as the Tower Theater. It appears to be a well conceived, professionally operated business that will continue to attract new customers to 23rd Street as the revitalization process continues and IMO it fits in well with the wide variety of retail and consumer service businesses that I expect to repopulate the area over the next few years. The future 23rd Street comsumer mixture of a variety of age and economic groups will provide the energetic and dynamic street life necessary to sustain the area's present and future businesses.

I also own and operate a business within a stones throw of the Tower Theater and for several years have been deeply involved with the Uptown 23 Development Association, a 501-C3 business and property owner’s group working toward returning the Uptown Commercial district to a vibrant neighborhood shopping district; a function it fulfilled for about thirty years. The area was once home to numerous fine restaurants, cafes, upscale retail stores and other businesses serving the surrounding neighborhoods.

The decline in downtown was coincidental with the decline in the residential neighborhoods surrounding downtown and the associated neighborhood commercial centers of which Uptown was one of the most important. Shepherd Mall replaced Uptown as the primary shopping center for the immediate area and has since gone through its own decline and revitalization.

All that being said, it is exciting to prepare for the long anticipated rehabilitation of the landmark Tower Theater and the positive impact that its reopening will contribute to the area's redevelopment.

Like most people, ChristianConservative apparently has had little direct contact and has only limited first-hand knowledge of our downtown and other inner-city areas that are in the midst of the long process of revitalization, and many people are put-off by some of the still dilapidated structures, surface appearance and presence of the areas diverse population; a natural reaction I guess. Fortunately, there are other people who see beyond the surface and the present, into the potential of a new and different future. The decline and rebuilding process is part of the life cycle of all cities everywhere. The decline is a sad sight indeed, but the upside part is a joy to watch and contribute to.

BTW, the Heritage Hills Homes Tour is coming up this weekend. It should be a great event and a chance to check out some of the incredible homes in this wonderful neighborhood.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

25. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

[QUOTE=BDP;70030] . . . I also think that we need an area that appeals to younger people with more of an edge and more of a forward thinking mentality.. . . For that area I am thinking more Deep Ellum, Melrose, Wicker Park, East village, etc. . . . .Obviously these areas have been gentrified and upscaled in the recent decade or so, but their roots are more of being exciting alternatives for young creatives and progressive residents. [/QOUTE]

You make some great points BDP and I agree completely with you.

Yes, it will never appeal to the gated community types, but should everything in the city be that way . . .
    Thank goodness. . . . What are all those gates good for anyhow?

There are some great apartment and office buildings along that strip that could be fixed up just a bit and make great affordable housing for younger residents new to the city and looking for something a little more exciting and original than currently available in OKC.
    Opportunity abounds . . .

In my mind, the number one thing that characterizes a successful and vibrant city is one with a variety of vibrant neighborhoods, each with their own unique characteristics and choices. 23rd helps us in that regard. But I think its successful future lies in expanding upon its current unique characteristics as opposed to reinventing it as an upscale enclave.
    Perfectly said . .
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Thread Information