Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ridge @ 66

Far West Ridge @ 66

Big apartment complex planned for the SW corner of the Kirkpatrick Turnpike and US 66:

Default Re: Ridge @ 66

That will have to be one of the biggest apartment complexes in the city. Next to the ones by 40/Mustang Road and probably a couple on the north side.

what's going to be on that patch of dirt on the other side of Kilpatrick? Apartments going in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    what's going to be on that patch of dirt on the other side of Kilpatrick? Apartments going in there?
    That will eventually be an OnCue

How Nimby-ish is this area vis-a-vis apartments? I would kind of lean towards "No" given the existing complex across the turnpike.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    How Nimby-ish is this area vis-a-vis apartments? I would kind of lean towards "No" given the existing complex across the turnpike.
    I think there's probably a limit to the fuss that can be raised given that the area is technically still in the OKC city limits as opposed to Yukon proper. I've lived in the complex across the turnpike for the past year, have walked around most of the surrounding neighborhoods and the area as a whole has always come across as very middle class to me, not the type of place that would really care about apartments one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I think there's probably a limit to the fuss that can be raised given that the area is technically still in the OKC city limits as opposed to Yukon proper. I've lived in the complex across the turnpike for the past year, have walked around most of the surrounding neighborhoods and the area as a whole has always come across as very middle class to me, not the type of place that would really care about apartments one way or the other.
    Thank you! That's kind of what I figured. Although I do think the area might have sneakily strong demographics. Definitely very good traffic counts through there.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    Fortunately projects within OKC have mostly got green lights. Although there was a mobile home park that just got denied due to pushback from neighbors.

I feel like all NIMBY arguments should be tossed out when dealing with homeowners and new projects that are all within a few hundred yards of a highway. You dont like that apartments, hotels, or fast food restaurants might get built near your home? Then you probably should have thought of that when you bought a house that backs up to a highway.

9. Default Re: Ridge @ 66

Only thing that's on the NIMBY's side is that this is currently zoned Agriculture

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    That will eventually be an OnCue
    I drove by there on 10/16 and wondered what that will be. Thanks for the heads-up.

I drove by there today, and they've cleared away a lot of the trees there. I'm kind of surprised they're starting on this already. Now, to see how long it is before the huge housing development at Rockwell/23rd by Overholser begins.

They have started work:

They aren't wasting any time. I'm looking forward to movement on the apartments on 10th near Garth Brooks and behind Crest and Academy Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    They aren't wasting any time. I'm looking forward to movement on the apartments on 10th near Garth Brooks and behind Crest and Academy Sports.
    When are they supposed to start these?

Where are all of the people who were complaining about losing mature trees in Wheeler? Its okay out here?? Haha, my only gripe about this going in is that 66/Kilpatrick is already horrendous during rush hour, so something really needs to be done, either adding in extra lanes to 66 or something.

Blog Entries

Spoiler alert, it's not okay.

(but it is what it is)

They could probably fix a lot of the SH-66 traffic issues by adding in lights at Grant and Mariner, and making sure that they’re timed correctly with the lights at the Kilpatrick interchange. I won’t hold my breath, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Where are all of the people who were complaining about losing mature trees in Wheeler? Its okay out here?? Haha, my only gripe about this going in is that 66/Kilpatrick is already horrendous during rush hour, so something really needs to be done, either adding in extra lanes to 66 or something.
    Ideally 66 would be converted to a 6-8 lane freeway from Kilpatrick to I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ideally 66 would be converted to a 6-8 lane freeway from Kilpatrick to I-44.
    That would be quite the little project, I am sure the towns of Bethany and Warr Acres would be the first to sign on to that plan!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    That would be quite the little project, I am sure the towns of Bethany and Warr Acres would be the first to sign on to that plan!
    Lol it won’t ever happen. But if it did a freeway tunnel ideally would be constructed in downtown Bethany and the cheaper method of cut and cover could be implemented. I think the biggest hurdle would be the section north of Lake Eisenhower. There’s a nature preserve(one I that I can’t understand how to access) between it and the lake. Then you’d have the very costly interchange at the Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Lol it won’t ever happen. But if it did a freeway tunnel ideally would be constructed in downtown Bethany and the cheaper method of cut and cover could be implemented. I think the biggest hurdle would be the section north of Lake Eisenhower. There’s a nature preserve(one I that I can’t understand how to access) between it and the lake. Then you’d have the very costly interchange at the Kilpatrick.
    If you’re talking about Stinchcomb, you’ve just gotta drive west on 50th for half a mile past Council. Some decent trails but unfortunately not very topographically interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If you’re talking about Stinchcomb, you’ve just gotta drive west on 50th for half a mile past Council. Some decent trails but unfortunately not very topographically interesting.
    Yes that was the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the heads up I’ll try that way. I got my car trapped last time I tried to visit.

Speaking of topographically interesting places, check this place out https://maps.google.com/?q=35.546843...ry=gps&lucs=a2

The topography and flora is incredible here. I wish the city could buy this land and preserve it via a park or nature preserve. I called parks and rec department and filled them in on this spot. Absolutely amazing and since they’re redoing the I-44/I-35 interchange by the zoo(next phase set to start this year) this could be a great opportunity to place a trail connector under I-35. If I had the money I’d buy it and donate it. I’ve been on the cruise lately and trying to find all of these spots around OKC. Another great one is near Lincoln and I-44 along the Deep Fork. Beautiful Spanish revival type building there.

Thread Information