Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

1. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Did you know the tower sign was part of the initial lead-in montage for the Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Oklahoma City renovation update
    Published: July 29, 2009

Tower Theater sign gears up for an encore on NW 23

Repairs and repainting of the sign for the old Tower Theater at 528 NW 23, above, continue as work gears up for a makeover of the retail strip. Owner Marty Dillon plans to move his family’s company, Party Galaxy, into 3,000 square feet of renovated space on the second floor of the building when renovations are complete. The $2.5 million project includes a rehabilitation of the theater’s facade and adjoining storefronts.

Steve Lackmeyer, Business Writer

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-reno...adlines_widget

Is there supposed to be a video or image above that article? I'm not getting anything in firefox or IE.

that's what I was wondering BDP

Okay. The sign is repaired and the new neon is back up. When are they going to light the dang thing back up? I've been watching all weekend. . .

So, we're talking about needing more things to do for young people in OKC. I would think a 1500 seat theater (wasn't that the size?) would be great for shows by up and coming bands. It reminds me of the Georgia Theatre in Athens, a place with a great music scene despite being far smaller than OKC.

The entire stretch along 23rd is prime for becoming an area for young (and old alike) people to live, work, and play.

So much potential for this stretch along 23rd.

How many of the old theaters are left? obviously all of the downtown theNatres are gone although they were able to save the old centre theatre. i see that the May theatre on NW 16th is vacant and I think the old redskin in capital hill is still there. The Villa over NW 23rd went a long time ago. It would be great to bring back any of them that makes economic sense. Wasnt there also one near the Village on North May? I think it is near a starbucks.

9. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

The old Lakeside Theater at May and Grand, later a Sound Warehouse, is now subdivided into retail and eateries.

And yes, there's a Starbucks nearby. (Once upon a time, there was a Girlie Pancake House on that slab.)

11. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Quote Originally Posted by zrfdude View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Is this going to be lit on a regular basis?

12. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I've been driving by there three nights a week and someone still beat me to posting a photo!

Thanks anyway, great to see it finally lit back up.

I drove down 23rd tonight and seeing the Tower Theatre lit up on one side, Big Truck on the other side and then the row of shops with Cuppies and Joe was great to see. There's so much more that needs to be done, but what a great start.

Great to the sign lit up last night!!! That's the easy part, now we need tenants/action!

Does anyone know what time is the sign coming on at night? I've driven by the last three nights after work and it hasn't been on and I'm just a little eager to see it.

17. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

It was only lit up as a test. According to a friend who is involved, there will be a media event soon. I'm guessing after that you will see it lit up with regularity.

Tower Theater sign to shine after restoration
    By Brian Brus
    The Journal Record
    Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Tower Theater on NW 23rd Street in Oklahoma City. (Courtesy Photo)

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Tower Theater on NW 23rd Street lives again, in bright neon glory.

Or at least that’s the business vitality that owner and developer Marty Dillon hopes to inspire with the new light to be tested at 7 p.m. Friday after the building sat dilapidated and empty for years.

“We’re trying to create a district,” he said Thursday. “If we keep it on three or four nights a week, it’ll help create a buzz and bring some folks to the front door. At least that’s the plan.”

The Tower Theater was built in 1936 and officially opened on July 15 the following year on a stretch of Route 66 between Lincoln and Classen boulevards. The theater’s origins are being recognized by the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program, the National Trails System and the National Park Service with a formal designation and grant funds to help in its restoration.

The theater was designed and built to emulate the futuristic theaters being built in California, Dillon said, and it was one of the first suburban theaters built in the city when most large theaters were still downtown. The sign itself was designed by W. Scott Dunne and built by the Tex Lite neon company, both of Dallas.

That sign was treated badly in recent years as Marty Dillon and his brother and partner Mike Dillon planned renovations and secured tax credits related to the site’s historic status. When City Hall invested in streetscape renovations along NW 23rd, the sign was so close to traffic that it was repeatedly struck by vehicles, Marty Dillon said. The brothers bought the property five years ago.

“It took a couple of years just to get city officials to allow us to build out the concrete curb to protect the sign,” Marty Dillon said. “That was priority number one before we could even think about a new sign, but it’s going to be worth the wait.”

Now that’s taken care of, the Dillons expect the sign to help draw attention and business investment to the area. Marty Dillon, who operates retailer Party Galaxy, said they also own about 80 feet of frontage space on either side of the theater and the popular Big Truck Tacos building to the east.

Construction on the theater, about 23,000 square feet, is in the planning stage, Marty Dillon said. That will include office space on the second floor, restaurant at street level and the theater space with a stage and balcony that Dillon plans to use for arts, music and independent film events. The “shotgun lobby” is perpendicular to NW 23rd; the body theater runs east and west behind the rest of the strip of shops.

He plans to lease neighboring buildings for restaurants and retail. Party Galaxy will be one of the first tenants. Investment figures were not immediately available.

The area is a patchwork of renovated homes and businesses and dilapidated properties, but Dillon said the only way to turn it around is for someone to risk stepping up to the task first and serve as an example.

The Tower Theater Project Team includes the ownership group, Uptown Development, as well as Fitzsimmons Architects and Jacobs General Contracting. Sign restoration was completed by Superior Neon.

19. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad to see that it's finally been completed!!!! Absolutely love seeing that thing lit up in all its glory!!!!

I'm glad that Dillon has a business of his own that he can move into this building as well. That will ensure some degree of success I think..

21. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

3-4 nights a week? Weak.

...and BTT is west of Tower Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    3-4 nights a week? Weak.
    Business plan? Strong. Trying to make money by not wasting it by running the place on nights nobody will show up? Common sense.

Drove by it twice tonight and saw about 4-6 people taking pictures of it. When they have it lit up, it will be a draw and will hopefully help develop that area.

25. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Just drove by it and got all giddy. Haha.

Thread Information