Widgets Magazine
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    If only there were some kind of transportation option that went from city to city, where you could purchase a seat and had the ability to doze off and not worry about crashing. There could also be restrooms on board and maybe a wifi signal. I don't know if that will ever be technically viable though.

Looking at going to show here soon. This will be my first time at the venue. Can anybody share their experience, please? Is the balcony worth sitting in or do you get a better sound and view on the floor?

the sound is great in the space. I have always been on main floor and at GA shows, however this past weekend my friends Girls camp showcase for "Rock Camp for Girls" was held there and I sat in balcony. Sound was still very good. I love the venue and will be there again Thursday this week when my friend is opening and again Friday for Book oF love.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Looking at going to show here soon. This will be my first time at the venue. Can anybody share their experience, please? Is the balcony worth sitting in or do you get a better sound and view on the floor?

The balcony is worth it if you want some time to sit or get away from crowd. Seats are just OK and it's not much benefit usually, unless you are old like .e ame want to sit from time to time.

Otherwise the sound is great and there are plemtlybof great spots on the floor. We have enjoyed each event we have attended there.

5. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I love the venue and will be there again Thursday this week when my friend is opening
    Wish I was going to be able to make it Thursday.... The story telling at a Ray Wylie Hubbard show is as entertaining as the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Wish I was going to be able to make it Thursday.... The story telling at a Ray Wylie Hubbard show is as entertaining as the songs.
    I have not seen him before. Looking forward to it. Carter Sampson is opening and is a great Local Singer Songwriter.

I'm looking forward to Book of Love on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm looking forward to Book of Love on Friday.
    Me too, couldn't find any info about an opener, though - anybody have any info about that?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I've not been up to the balcony in the Tower yet but can speak for the sound quality on the floor being quite good. Another nice thing about the Tower is that the floor area is somewhat tiered, so you don't necessarily have to be super close to the stage to get a good view. There are some ledges to lean on and place drinks on at the front of the tiers, but they always get occupied extremely quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I have not seen him before. Looking forward to it. Carter Sampson is opening and is a great Local Singer Songwriter.
    I need to go to one of Carter Sampson's shows sometime. There are so many good singer-songwriters in the OKC/Norman area currently.

Went to Book of Love this past Friday at the Tower.

I really love the venue for live music. Very well organized, sight lines are good with the tiered standing areas (they had folding chairs along the sides, although the balcony was closed) and the bar had good offerings and the lines moved fast.

But BoL was just terrible. Just 2 members (which I knew in advance), no warm-up (just bad PA music) and only 'played' for 55 minutes.

They just had a laptop and keyboard (which went generally untouched) and everywhere in the room the sound wasn't nearly loud enough. Very little energy from them or their music.

I get what/who they are but 55 minutes? And absolute minimum effort? Didn't even play Sunny Day, which was one of their most popular tunes.

It was just such a wasted opportunity as there was a good crowd and people were into it.

Went to Book of Love this past Friday at the Tower.

I really love the venue for live music. Very well organized, sight lines are good with the tiered standing areas (they had folding chairs along the sides, although the balcony was closed) and the bar had good offerings and the lines moved fast.

But BoL was just terrible. Just 2 members (which I knew in advance), no warm-up (just bad PA music) and only 'played' for 55 minutes.

They just had a laptop and keyboard (which went generally untouched) and everywhere in the room the sound wasn't nearly loud enough. Very little energy from them or their music.

I get what/who they are but 55 minutes? And absolute minimum effort? Didn't even play Sunny Day, which was one of their most popular tunes.

It was just such a wasted opportunity as there was a good crowd and people were into it.
    I was curious how you felt about it.. this was the 4th time I have seen BOL this tour. First time there were 3 members. This time was first time the set list changed a bit the other shows were all pretty much same set list. This set list was shorter and excluded Sunny day, All Girl Band, quiver, and witchcraft. the other shows I saw on this tour were in Dallas and New Orleans. The energy was better and some of that I think had to do with warmup. prior shows had either a DJ or at least the venue played dance music from that era which got the crowd excited and into it and dancing before they ever hit the stage. I am not sure why the tower wasn't playing music of that era and genre. they were playing very soft music prior and then two songs louder " Toto Afrida and I believe a Billy joel song?" which was terrible warmup for this show. we commented several times that we would gladly hook our phones up and play a better mix. was definitely a lost opportunity but then I heard many say how they loved the show so who knows.

^^^ It was "Uptown Girl" and yeah, bad choice...

Keyboard did get used, though - we were on the 2nd tier (I think you (Pete) were on the first tier closest to the stage, so might not have been able to see the actual keys/hands that well), so we could see Ted playing it, and he did parts during every song, *but* they were fairly minimal. The tubular bells part on "Pretty Boys..." was played by him, and a few stabs here and there on the other songs. But yeah, agree it was too short, and kind of by-the-numbers. Having never seen them before, I got my $25 worth, but not much more than that.

Thought it was funny they had the chairs set up for all the old farts, as we said at the show (and no, we didn't use them, we stood/danced during the show even though we're old farts).

14. Default Re: Tower Theater

Man, I was on the fence on that one, and it sounds like I didn’t miss much. Glad I saw them at Rome in Norman circa 1990.

15. Default Re: Tower Theater

Rhett Miller of Old 97's announced for Oct. 20th.

Killer Queen will be at the Tower on November 15th.
    I saw them at The Brady on Sunday and may just have to go see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    Killer Queen will be at the Tower on November 15th.
    I saw them at The Brady on Sunday and may just have to go see them again.
    I assume from that statement it was a good show?.. I wanted to got to Brady but am glad they booked Tower.

I love it. They played a great show. The complaints I heard came from people expecting an exact replica of Queen.

The Brady wasn't as lively as I expected. We were on the balcony with a row to ourselves. I anticipate the Tower's size to work in it's favor.

I have tickets to see Puddles Pity Party. It will be my first time at the Tower unless I saw a movie there when I was a kid, which is entirely possible.

It's under the radar compared to some of their bigger shows this fall, but Frankie Cosmos, Lomelda, and Stef Chura on September 24th will be a great night of music.

Todd Rundgren just announced for Sep. 27th.

Has anyone seen one of his shows lately?

I believe he was on the bill of the Yestival show at the Zoo last summer with Carl Palmer and Yes that got rained out.

Todd Rundgren just announced for Sep. 27th.

Has anyone seen one of his shows lately?
    Haven't, but went to his website to see what he says there, and it looks like he's got a decent band - Prairie Prince (ex-Tubes), Jesse Gress (never heard of him, but he's a former music editor of Guitar Player and has apparently transcribed and published hundreds of songs) , Kasim Sulton (worked with Todd for decades) and Greg Hawkes (ex-Cars). Have to check out Youtube to see if there's any recent footage, sounds like it could be pretty good.

Apparently Tower Theater has some big plans they are revealing at 11am this morning. Hmm...

25. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Apparently Tower Theater has some big plans they are revealing at 11am this morning. Hmm...
    I wonder if it's in regards to the Uptown Get Down on NYE...

Thread Information