Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Interesting. So the owners are trying to sell the theatre, hopefully to the Fowler VW guy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Interesting. So the owners are trying to sell the theatre, hopefully to the Fowler VW guy.
    Yes that was speculated on previously in post number 656,

Heard from a restaurant owner on 9th St. that there is a plan in place to convert the tower theater to a concept similar to the Granada in Dallas. He is familiar with the situation and seemed pretty sure that the project is going to happen. I know something like this was discussed a while ago on this thread, so I guess this would be an update. Not sure when it will start, I'll see if I can get more out of him on it next time I'm down there.

Hopefully he's right, would be a great anchor for the block. Here is a shot of the Granada.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	granadamarquis.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	3849

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Heard from a restaurant owner on 9th St. that there is a plan in place to convert the tower theater to a concept similar to the Granada in Dallas. He is familiar with the situation and seemed pretty sure that the project is going to happen. I know something like this was discussed a while ago on this thread, so I guess this would be an update. Not sure when it will start, I'll see if I can get more out of him on it next time I'm down there.

Hopefully he's right, would be a great anchor for the block. Here is a shot of the Granada.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	granadamarquis.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	3849
    That would be awesome! I love the Granada.

Yes, awesome if true!

Really, really hope this happens. If it does, 23rd Street will have officially reached a significant tipping point and I bet many more dominos will start to fall, ala Deep Deuce.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, awesome if true!

Really, really hope this happens. If it does, 23rd Street will have officially reached a significant tipping point and I bet many more dominos will start to fall, ala Deep Deuce.

Awesome. This is a major thing OKC has been missing for a long time and if it comes to pass, it will be a major boon for the city. Maybe OKC can start attracting some popular independent acts that currently go to Tulsa and play at Cain's.

Is this the same thing that involved a Fowler VW owner in post 656?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Are things finally in the works for the Tower Theater as per Steve's blog?
    An Interest Worth Watching | OKC Central

Yeah, I keep hearing John's name linked with the Tower Theatre and I believe he's the organizer of the Norman Music Festival so it makes sense that it would be a music venue. Maybe that would encourage a restaurant or two to go in on that block.

This would be huge. It's been my hope all along that it would become a music venue.

If this and the Gold Dome both became music venues, a mixed-use development a la the Edge and some more bars developed, this would easily be one of the most popular streets in the city. Add in an eventual streetcar route...

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    This would be huge. It's been my hope all along that it would become a music venue.

If this and the Gold Dome both became music venues, a mixed-use development a la the Edge and some more bars developed, this would easily be one of the most popular streets in the city. Add in an eventual streetcar route...
    Didn't Steve say recently that someone had come forward with an idea for the Gold Dome? And depending on what Land Run decides to do with the land north of the Rise, you might see your mixed use 23rd St Edge.

I really get the feeling that if this comes to fruition, 23rd is just going to boom.

The Rise was a game changer, but a music venue redevelopment of the Tower Theater might be an even bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The Rise was a game changer, but a music venue redevelopment of the Tower Theater might be an even bigger deal.
    Agreed, it would provide a focal point for a legitimate entertainment district. Think something as good or even better than Tulsa's Brady district.

I love the idea of the theater being a music venue, but also the thought of the Gold Dome with something similar is a great idea as well. It would definitely be one of the most unusual music venues. Sometimes, I think we take unique architecture like the Gold Dome for granted. When people come to town and we drive by the Gold Dome they ALWAYS say something about it. It's just "there" for so many. Embrace what we have!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    yeah, i keep hearing john's name linked with the tower theatre and i believe he's the organizer of the norman music festival so it makes sense that it would be a music venue. Maybe that would encourage a restaurant or two to go in on that block.
    we need this to happen!

Default Re: Tower Theater

Update from Steve.

There may be some hope!

Tower Theater revival dream eludes Uptown | News OK

If this deal hinges on the fact that he needs to sell the tax credits (transferable tax credits should be illegal IMO) then maybe it's time he sells the property and let someone else get it done. Then again it's his property so I guess he can do what he pleases. I guess I have nothing to add other than that transferable tax credits shouldn't be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    If this deal hinges on the fact that he needs to sell the tax credits (transferable tax credits should be illegal IMO) then maybe it's time he sells the property and let someone else get it done. Then again it's his property so I guess he can do what he pleases. I guess I have nothing to add other than that transferable tax credits shouldn't be allowed.
    Isn't that the method OKC used to fix up the Skirvin?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Tax credits are the government's and by extension (at least hypothetically) the people's way of incentivizing something. Now we can argue the merits of this or that particular tax credit, but the object of all of them is to increase the likelihood of a certain outcome happening. Selling a tax credit just seems like a logical outgrowth of this incentivization process. If selling the credit increases the likelihood of acheiving the desired outcome, then so much the better.

I'm not sure what the problem is with any of this. If its a bad tax credit it is a bad tax credit, sold or unsold. If it is a good tax credit than what difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Update from Steve.

There may be some hope!

Tower Theater revival dream eludes Uptown | News OK
    Any idea what the name of the case is and which court it's in? I assume either the Eastern District of Virginia or Western District of Virginia if it's a federal issue that's going to have any effect in Oklahoma (though it would only be instructive and not binding if it is one of those two courts).

The comments on newsok.com never cease to amaze me. This is from the story:

Tony Patton · Top Commenter · Works at Oklahoma Natural Gas Company
    "Give it to me and my wife and we will make it a clean, safe, solitary, recovery center and homeless shelter for the less fortunate of Oklahoma. EVERYONE who has vacant property should be doing something this easy. Especially as winter approaches."
    Reply · 1 · Like

And yes, you read right, it got one like...

Nothing wrong with more homeless shelters and resources for them. I am all for that, but not at the Tower Theater. It seems that a lot of people here, especially those who comment on NewsOK, don't understand the value of creating a vibrant urban district or place making of any kind.

The guy owns the place. Hopefully he can eventually work it out. If it becomes a blight in the area it will have to be after the csl plasma and planned parenthood are out. Until then we only have or unhappiness with a loss of a good to worry about.

Also, hopefully the rumor of Fowler turning the spot into a music venue turns out to be true.

This guy is pretty serious about turning it into a homeless shelter and is trying to get the funding. What are the chances that could come to pass?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Tax credits are the government's and by extension (at least hypothetically) the people's way of incentivizing something. Now we can argue the merits of this or that particular tax credit, but the object of all of them is to increase the likelihood of a certain outcome happening. Selling a tax credit just seems like a logical outgrowth of this incentivization process. If selling the credit increases the likelihood of acheiving the desired outcome, then so much the better.

I'm not sure what the problem is with any of this. If its a bad tax credit it is a bad tax credit, sold or unsold. If it is a good tax credit than what difference does it make?
    Because large companies that have nothing to do with a tax credit or the work that is being done to receive a tax credit will come in a buy those credits at a good discount, thus making their tax liability much less.

Thread Information