Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

1. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

I'm so glad that 23rd street is starting to take off. I owned a record store on 23rd for 7 years in the 90s. I used to have meetings with Jason King of 23rd st body piercing and we'd brainstorm ideas on how to encourage development in that area.

I also dj'd at a rave inside the Tower around that time too.

#backintheday

Default Re: Tower Theater

Bo Diddley played at The Tower in the late 90's or early 2000's, I know there were a few other shows around that time. I used to go see bands all the time at The Bricktown Brewery and they would get packed when bands like Wakeland, The Nixons, Molly's Yes, Caroline's Spine and other regional or national acts played there, they had quite a few well known acts at the time play there back then. They would get good crowds when some local favorites like Superfreak played there, well more than 150-200 people. I saw Seven Mary Three at The Will Rogers (1996) and The Nixons at The Boar's Head in French Market Mall and The Roxy (former Quicksilver's at NW 10th & MacArthur) in the mid 90's. In fact The Roxy had a run of about a year or two around 94-95 where I saw quite a few shows there, Dream Theater/Fates Warning, Motley Crue (w/ John Corabi), Kansas and a few others. It was a horrible venue (Dream Theater's stage barely fit or was made to fit in there) but it was nice to have a mid-sized venue that had $20 shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Actually we have a thriving "underground" music scene with no venue. The Conservatory might as well be a big garage. Not a pleasant place to see bands IMO. Tower reminds me of the Granada in Dallas. Just big enough to host decent acts but small enough that it feels intimate.

I think that the biggest challenge is with respect to competing with Tula's long established music houses. It takes a strategic promoter for the venue to get band mangers to break away from playing Tulsa ever time. That is what it is going to come down to in terms of a successful venue, the right manger/promoter.
    I don't think there's much of a need to compete with the Cain's Ballroom, because a lot of those acts would easily do OKC as well. In fact I see it as a strength, even.

The problem that I see is just that these kinds of places are almost impossible to just start up from scratch. They have to have a legacy in order for a LOT of people to care enough to keep coming show after show. Cain's has an amazing following. I would like to see this become something like the Grenada in Dallas or Liberty Hall in Lawrence, but it will just take time. I'm sure that the Flaming Lips and the rest of the local scene will lend it a big hand, though.

Great news... $800,000 building permit filed today for the Tower Theater!

This will really be a game changer for that area when complete.

I think we are all learning that most times with these big restoration projects that slow is often the best approach. Look how well it's paid off for the various Midtown developments... And the fact the Tower people have great collaborators like Brian Fitzsimmons (architect for all the Midtown Renaissance renos) and the Deep Fork Group indicate another success.

5. Default Re: Tower Theater

I'm just glad someone is actually DOING something rather than just saying they are. That's been my complain for years. People come in and promise the world, then they see how much work there actually is to do (like with the First National Center), and then they run off and abandon the place. There's already been more work done in the last few years than has probably been done in the previous 10 and it's AWESOME! The sign itself is a MAJOR boost.

6. Default Re: Tower Theater

The best analog to Cain's in OKC is actually the second floor of the Farmer's Public Market. In fact, Bob Wills originally relocated THERE, and not Cain's, when he came to Oklahoma from Fort Worth. The first shows of "Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys" (they were the Light Crust Doughboys before that) actually occurred in OKC. He did his live radio show there (on WKY) until the sponsor of his old Fort Worth show threatened to pull their ads on the station if he continued to play shows.

That's why he moved to Tulsa and started the legendary, long-running show on KVOO. The history of those buildings, of OKC/Tulsa, live music in Oklahoma and even the history of pop/country/rock 'n' roll might be much different if the sponsor hadn't run him out of OKC. Live music, dances and such occurred for years after at the farmer's market, but I imagine it would have been much different had Bob Wills stayed here.

Sorry to digress; I just think about that quite a bit every time I go to a show at Cains or an event at the farmers market (which I would LOVE to see revived as a music venue). The right venue(s) and the right promoter(s) can have a profound cultural impact on a city, one which you might not even recognize until years later. I'm pulling for the Tower to give an assist to our local music scene.

I may have misheard but I heard that a relative of mine was planning on taking over the tower theater and turning it into a bar/grill. Ill try and dig some more information on this. He may be the one who filed for the permit.

Uptown momentum continues with new shops, hope for Tower Theater

Dillon said Tuesday his latest plan is to renovate the building in phases, starting with renovation of the street level retail and office space first, and then developing the theater at a later time.

“It's been ridiculous,” Dillon said. “My main focus is running Party Galaxy. I've never had this much trouble getting something off the ground.”

With the upcoming redevelopment by Jonathan Russell and the work completed by Sellers and others, Dillion is hopeful that lenders will be more supportive of his efforts with the Tower Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Uptown momentum continues with new shops, hope for Tower Theater

Dillon said Tuesday his latest plan is to renovate the building in phases, starting with renovation of the street level retail and office space first, and then developing the theater at a later time.

“It's been ridiculous,” Dillon said. “My main focus is running Party Galaxy. I've never had this much trouble getting something off the ground.”

With the upcoming redevelopment by Jonathan Russell and the work completed by Sellers and others, Dillion is hopeful that lenders will be more supportive of his efforts with the Tower Theater.
    Does OKC have a theater for indie/foreign films? They are HUGE right now with young, urban-minded professionals and most larger cities have them. If not, the Tower theater would be great to fill that void. No matter what its use, I would love to see it redeveloped. Its location can't be beat and it could become a destination for the young professional crowd. OKC has made great strides towards having more options for the creative class over the past decade but there is still more to be done if OKC is to ever be on the radar for relocating young professionals like cities such as Austin, Portland, Minneapolis, Charlotte, etc.

Yes, the OKCMOA has shown them for years. Also The Paramount in Film Row.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yes, the OKCMOA has shown them for years. Also The Paramount in Film Row.
    Cool. I was unaware of that. The Tower Theater could be a real jewel though if restored given its historical charm, like Circle Cinema in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does OKC have a theater for indie/foreign films? They are HUGE right now with young, urban-minded professionals and most larger cities have them. If not, the Tower theater would be great to fill that void. No matter what its use, I would love to see it redeveloped. Its location can't be beat and it could become a destination for the young professional crowd. OKC has made great strides towards having more options for the creative class over the past decade but there is still more to be done if OKC is to ever be on the radar for relocating young professionals like cities such as Austin, Portland, Minneapolis, Charlotte, etc.
    Yes. The Noble Theatre in the art museum. I also hope we strive to create destinations for more than just the "young professional" crowd.

Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

@bchris02 - the Paramount site, if you are interested, is at: The Paramount OKC: Coffee Shop, Downtown Lunch, Great Wines, Classic Movies & More and there is a thread here at okctalk.com at:
    http://www.okctalk.com/other-urban-d...paramount.html

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes. The Noble Theatre in the art museum. I also hope we strive to create destinations for more than just the "young professional" crowd.
    Agree with this for the most part. I do want to add though that becoming a more attractive city for young professionals is just as important as remaining a great place for families. The Millennial generation is a growing segment of the economy and for the most part they are marrying and settling down later. I think this city is still a few years away from having comparable offerings for the creative class as similar sized cities across the nation. It's certainly getting better every year though. A decade ago, the Paseo was widely regarded as unsafe after dark and now it's one of the city's most attractive neighborhoods for young professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Agree with this for the most part. I do want to add though that becoming a more attractive city for young professionals is just as important as remaining a great place for families. The Millennial generation is a growing segment of the economy and for the most part they are marrying and settling down later. I think this city is still a few years away from having comparable offerings for the creative class as similar sized cities across the nation. It's certainly getting better every year though. A decade ago, the Paseo was widely regarded as unsafe after dark and now it's one of the city's most attractive neighborhoods for young professionals.
    I guess this is just semantics. What I'm saying is not everyone should have to work at Chesapeake. We also have many artists and musicians who may not qualify as "young professionals."

I guess this is just semantics. What I'm saying is not everyone should have to work at Chesapeake. We also have many artists and musicians who may not qualify as "young professionals."
    It's not just semantics. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE TO WORK AT CHESAPEAKE! EVERYONE!

17. Default Re: Tower Theater

I'll add Devon...or energy in general to that. There are plenty of us out there in different fields doing well, and enjoying living here.

I see. My definition of "young professional" is educated or cultured twentysomethings regardless of where they work. A large part of the "young professional" demographic relocates for their first job after leaving college and they care just as much about the quality of amenities in the city they will be living as the job they will have.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Are things finally in the works for the Tower Theater as per Steve's blog?

An Interest Worth Watching | OKC Central

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Are things finally in the works for the Tower Theater as per Steve's blog?

An Interest Worth Watching | OKC Central
    I hope so. This will be a huge attraction for OKC if it gets revitalized.

John Fowler, I would think, has the financial gravitas to get something done if he takes an interest. That is very exciting news.

It seems the time is now for the Tower with everything else falling in place around it.

Until it is brought back to life, 23rd is still going to have a massive hole.

Exciting news but we've been teased for over seven years about this project.

Time for Marty Dillon to take a bow.

Thread Information