Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

1. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Last I heard, but it won't be fast

2. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

I'm tempted to see if Wade Starr will get involved... my partners and I really wanna move "Robotic Wednesdays" over there.

Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

What is going on here?

The entire strip east of the Tower theater has all the storefront windows boarded up with plywood to the inside. It has been like this for a week now, but I do not see anything happening. There were a few art galleries in these spaces that are now boarded.

4. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

I heard that wade Starr has bought into it and that they are moving forward.

Wade Starr?

Moving forward with What?

Wink Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Other exciting possibilities may be in the works too. We'll see if it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    I heard that wade Starr has bought into it and that they are moving forward.
    Can you elaborate on this?

Default Re: Tower Theater

I just drove by the Tower Theater today and there's construction going on in the street. It looks like they're removing a section of the landscaped median directly in front of the theater and across from the vacant lots on the south side of the street. Could it be for a crosswalk connecting the theater to parking in the vacant lots?

9. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by ypsiexplorer View Post
    I just drove by the Tower Theater today and there's construction going on in the street. It looks like they're removing a section of the landscaped median directly in front of the theater and across from the vacant lots on the south side of the street. Could it be for a crosswalk connecting the theater to parking in the vacant lots?
    I hope so, it's been really difficult to get to a show.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I hope so, it's been really difficult to get to a show.
    You haven't been using the catapult system to safely cross 23rd?

11. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    You haven't been using the catapult system to safely cross 23rd?
    Nah, I usually just ride a transient. Bada bing!

Quote Originally Posted by ypsiexplorer View Post
    may have dreamed this but thought I read somewhere that there was an issue with the sign clearance or something along those lines, to get the clearance meant taking out the landscaping (not sure why the landscaping was approved since the sign predated it?

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Nah, I usually just ride a transient. Bada bing!
    Ew, that sounds reeeally risky.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Metro, thanks for the heads-up. That's fantastic news about Deep Fork's new restaurant and bar going into the retail space at the Tower Theater!

Anybody have an idea of the concept they'll be going with?

Here's the entire article:

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-5737...elopments.html
    June 20th, 2011 - Kelley Chambers
    Uptown developments

NW 23 Street is home to several new restaurant concepts, with more planned as the area is revitalized

As restaurants continue to pop up along NW 23 Street from around Hudson Avenue to just west of Classen Boulevard, several have found successful concepts, leading to incremental growth and redevelopment of the area.

On May 18, Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs joined the line of specialty eateries along a stretch of road that includes dilapidated and largely vacant strip centers, wig shops, discount convenience stores, pawn shops, fast-food restaurants and a steady stream of vagrants.

But rather than write off the area, developers and restaurateurs including Keith and Heather Paul, Chris Lower, Mike Tharasena and Marty Dillon are investing in long-neglected properties.

Set to open in August is Tucker’s Onion Burgers across the street from Cheever’s. Keith Paul says he wanted to open an eatery with a distinctly Oklahoma flair.

“We’ve been working on a burger concept for about two years,” he says. “We thought that no one is really focusing on the only cuisine that’s from Oklahoma.”

At the Tower Theater, Dillon is leasing space to the Deep Fork Group for a 4,000-square-foot restaurant and a 1,000-square-foot bar in the retail space facing the street. At Big Truck Tacos, the owners have taken a space for a catering kitchen and a gift store. They will share the building, which Dillon owns, with a gelato shop.

At the 23rd Street Courts, Tharasena has filled that space with Cuppies & Joe, a law office, a tattoo shop and others. Behind Cuppies & Joe, he is renovating a building for restaurant space.

Despite the pockets of restaurants and retail, several abandoned strips and underutilized space stand.

Lower says there is no concerted effort to find a use for that space, but he believes the momentum of the area is catching on and attracting others to take a second look at that stretch of road.

“Getting rid of some of the crummier tenants down there will help,” Lower says. “I think the Tower will become the hub of 23rd.”

NW 23 Street is the north boundary of the city’s sixth ward, represented by Councilwoman Meg Salyer. She has watched as the area slowly has gone from an area of blight to an up-and-coming dining and entertainment district.

“These are all great, brave entrepreneurs,” she says.

Salyer says the key word for growth and improvement in the area is “incremental.” While she and others would like to see the area shape up faster, hurdles remain from owners who leave their properties run down, or have no interest in the revitalization.

“Having folks that are unrealistic about the value of their property, you can end up with some unwilling property owners to get involved in the process,” she says.
    Despite some sketchy areas that remain, Keith Paul says there is no place he would rather be doing business. He envisions a day when 23rd is a long stretch of retail and a true destination.

“I hope it will be a neighborhood people will flock to,” he says. “We hope someday people will walk from Cheever’s to Cuppies & Joe, and have things to do along the way.”

Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs
    1400 NW 23
    Built: 1968
    Square feet: 1,728
    Valuation of project: about $150,000

After visiting Chicago and trying hot dogs in the Windy City, Chris Lower, Cally Johnson and Kathryn Mathis – the masterminds behind Big Truck Tacos – decided to mix up their meat between a tortilla concept and fixings in a bun.

23rd Street Courts
    North side of NW 23, between Shartel and Lee avenues
    Square feet: more than 20,000 in eight buildings
    Valuation of project: about $3 million to $5 million invested to date

Developer Mike Tharasena and architect Brian Fitzsimmons converted a collection of rundown bungalows into a lively retail strip. Set to open soon is Bubba’s, serving barbecue at 715 NW 23. Behind the strip, a 4,000-square-foot building is being renovated for a restaurant space.

Hotel Motel Liquidation
    511 NW 23
    Built: 1939
    Square feet: 21,840

While “going out of business” has been painted on the windows of this building for years, it is on the market for $1.5 million. Chad Elmore, listing broker with InterWest Realty, says the owner is looking to sell the building and close the business. No future plans for the building have been announced.

Truong-Than Supermarket
    2400 N Walker
    Built: 1926
    Square feet: 9,586

The retail space is connected to the Tower Theater at the northeast corner of NW 23 Street and Walker Avenue. Chad Elmore, listing broker with InterWest Realty, has the property on the market for a lease rate of about $9 per square foot.

Big Truck Tacos
    530 NW 23
    Built: 1966
    Square feet: 1,931
    Valuation of project: about $200,000

Chris Lower, Cally Johnson and Kathryn Mathis opened the taco eatery in 2009. The owners also have taken space in a building to the east of the restaurant for a larger kitchen and a gift shop. Next door to Big Truck, Avianos, an Italian gelato shop, is set to open this summer.

Tower Theatre
    425 NW 23
    Built: 1926
    Square feet: 25,400
    Valuation of project: $3 million

Owner Marty Dillon plans to restore the space to its former glory. The first floor of the auditorium will be renovated into an event space, and the 280-seat balcony will be used for screening films. Dillon’s Party Galaxy store is moving into the upstairs office space.

Tucker’s Onion Burgers
    324 NW 23
    Built: 1959
    Square feet: 1,470

Owner Keith Paul says onion burgers are perhaps the only true Oklahoma-originated cuisine. The restaurant will feature onion burgers, French fries, hand-dipped milk shakes and freshly squeezed lemonade. The restaurant will seat about 50 people inside and 25 outside. Average check: $10.

Cheever’s Café and catering building
    2409 N Hudson Ave. and 401 NW 23
    Built: 1937
    Square feet: about 4,500 combined

Owners Keith and Heather Paul continue serving food at the restaurant. Next door, a building facing NW 23 Street that previously housed Market C, has been converted to catering space.

What’s cooking on NW 23rd? New eateries in the works as corridor makes comeback
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 09:27 PM Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here is the portion of the article I posted on the 23rd St Development thread that has to do with the Tower Theatre

Renovation plans are gearing up at NW 23rd Street’s historic Tower Theater, some five years after brothers Marty and Mike Dillon purchased the vacant property.

The project stalled when the economy went south a few years ago, but has found new momentum. At the same time, several new restaurants have sprung up in the area.

Construction that will transform the old movie house into a special events center is slated to begin within the next 60 to 90 days, Marty Dillon said.

“I saw this area as something poised to come back, although maybe I got in about four years too early,” he said.

Local restaurateur Deep Fork Group has leased 45,000 square feet of retail space next door to the theater and is developing two restaurant and bar concepts there, Marty Dillon said.

16. Default Re: Tower Theater

Not to sound sceptical, but we've been at this point so many times over the years. I hate to feel excited about something until we see some real work going on. My "best buddy" on this thread will now pounce on me here and tell me I'm stupid....

17. Default Re: Tower Theater

Well, I'm not actually certain this is so. Because it isn't one project that's on the boards or under construction on 23rd right now. Really, it's multiple completed redevelopments, with a few under way, and a few planned.

So I'm hoping, and not disagreeing with bomber, that this time the Tower Redevelopment goes through with all the recent proposals growing on 23rd.

Having the Deep Fork people on the dotted line is very encouraging.

And with the whole area gaining momentum, looks like it's finally the right time to make this work.

19. Default Re: Tower Theater

They've really stabilized the Blue Note, which is basically a neighbor. They obviously are committed to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    What’s cooking on NW 23rd? New eateries in the works as corridor makes comeback
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 09:27 PM Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here is the portion of the article I posted on the 23rd St Development thread that has to do with the Tower Theatre

Renovation plans are gearing up at NW 23rd Street’s historic Tower Theater, some five years after brothers Marty and Mike Dillon purchased the vacant property.

The project stalled when the economy went south a few years ago, but has found new momentum. At the same time, several new restaurants have sprung up in the area.

Construction that will transform the old movie house into a special events center is slated to begin within the next 60 to 90 days, Marty Dillon said.

“I saw this area as something poised to come back, although maybe I got in about four years too early,” he said.

Local restaurateur Deep Fork Group has leased 45,000 square feet of retail space next door to the theater and is developing two restaurant and bar concepts there, Marty Dillon said.
    Is this project dead?

I haven't seen any construction or renovation at the Tower in quite some time. In fact the building is starting regress, not progress.

It has been 5 1/2 years since the Tower redevelopment project started.

21. Default Re: Tower Theater

Not dead. Just going VEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY slow.... I'll keep you advised when it's really about to start up. Right now this project is on "the dark side of the moon."

The project is on the Urban Design agenda for a new Certificate of Approval next week Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not dead. Just going VEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY slow.... I'll keep you advised when it's really about to start up. Right now this project is on "the dark side of the moon."
    Are you hinting that there will be Pink Floyd laser light shows there?

Wow, the two new Deep Fork ventures on 23rd are really exciting, though.

What timing! In the agenda for the 12/21 Urban Design Committee there is an application to restore the theater. This had been previously approved in 2007 but the two year time frame lapsed, so they are going through the formality again now, which means they are finally ready to start.

Here is some of what they'll be doing with architect Brian Fitzsimmons handling the design. Fitzsimmons has done a fantastic job with the 23rd Street Courtyard project along with all the Midtown Renaissance buildings.

1. Main Building
    a) The storefronts will be replaced in whole. The new storefronts will use
    clear, insulated glass. The frames will be aluminum finished to match
    existing/original framing.
    b) Black, off-white and green Vitrolite glass tile will be used to replace
    original, existing tile on the NW 23rd Street elevation.
    c) The 2nd floor windows will be replaced with windows that match the
    profile of original windows based on photographic evidence. Existing
    windows behind the sign will be repaired or replaced as necessary.
    d) The historic entry will be restored with new storefront glass and metal
    panels to match the original.
    e) The two existing flat canopies will be restored by removing wood fascia
    and restoration of other items. Metal soffits will be installed; although
    metal may not be installed and the existing ribbed panel may be painted.
    f) The glazed tile under a now-removed canopy will be replaced with
    matching tile.
    g) The exterior stairs at the west elevation will be restored with new wood
    treads and repaired metal handrails.
    h) An original door will be installed in place of brick infill in the alley.
    i) The center alley will be in-filled with brick to match existing. A flat roof
    will be installed on top of the infill section. A balcony will extend from
    the 2nd floor onto the new flat roof.

Thread Information