Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Pulse (formerly downtown Holiday Inn)

Default former Holiday Inn

Shuttered downtown Holiday Inn to be converted to apartments

Plans have been submitted to convert the old Holiday Inn at 520 W. Main Street into apartment units.

The building has been sitting empty for several years. Its prior use was as a training center for the Institute of Basic Life Principles, a non-denominational Christian organization. Amazon Prime is debuting a new mini-series on the IBLP on June 2nd.

Before that, the 10-story building had operated as a Holiday Inn hotel.

Plans call for 204 apartments, an indoor pickleball court, a fitness center, an outdoor pool, and a dog park.

The project would follow several others in the downtown area that have seen several older office buildings converted into living units; in fact, this building is directly west of one such property: The Montgomery. Occupancy of downtown housing remains quite high, easily absorbing almost all the new units that are brought online.

Default Re: former Holiday Inn

They thinking about sticking a restaurant or something in the space that's N.I.C.?

Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

^

If you look at the site plan that area seems to be demolished to make way for the pool and dog park.

Plus it looks like they may split off the surface lot to the south. They don't need surface parking because, like the neighboring Montgomery, they can use the city parking structure right next door -- it has plenty of capacity.

Also, note that almost all the apartments are studios. I suspect they are going to try and make these units somewhat affordable.

This would be a really big deal for the west side of downtown. 200 new apartments along main street is fantastic.

BTW, pretty sure the owner/developer is Tanenbaum even though the plans don't say it.

He's made a cottage industry out of these conversions: The Montgomery, Park Harvey, Lincoln Plaza, The Classen, and soon, Harlow.

6. Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

^^^^^^^^^
    Also soon the old BancFirst HQ at 101 N Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Also soon the old BancFirst HQ at 101 N Broadway.
    That's Harlow.

8. Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

Well then I mean 100 Park Avenue because he's doing both. I just didn't recall which one is getting the Harlow name. For some reason I was associating it with the Park Avenue building.

9. Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Well then I mean 100 Park Avenue because he's doing both. I just didn't recall which one is getting the Harlow name. For some reason I was associating it with the Park Avenue building.
    Edit: ah, now I see that he is branding two separate buildings together as the same brand. I'd missed that. A little weird but OK. I definitely trust his finished product. Heck, I lived in one for years.

BTW, that upcoming docu-series about the Institute of Basic Life Principles should be very interesting.

Most know their founder (Bill Gothard) was run off by all types of sexual harassment claims and when there is a series on these semi-cults, it's always pretty ugly.

Based on the floor plans, the assumption is these will be studio apartments. There are keeping the original hotel rooms and just adding a kitchen area. Would think they would knock down a wall and make bigger apartments, but that does not look like the deal. Nonetheless, adds additional living options downtown, and should not be that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Based on the floor plans, the assumption is these will be studio apartments. There are keeping the original hotel rooms and just adding a kitchen area. Would think they would knock down a wall and make bigger apartments, but that does not look like the deal. Nonetheless, adds additional living options downtown, and should not be that expensive.
    They did the same with a ton of units at Lincoln Plaza, which had also been a mid-century hotel with concrete walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

If you look at the site plan that area seems to be demolished to make way for the pool and dog park.

Plus it looks like they may split off the surface lot to the south. They don't need surface parking because, like the neighboring Montgomery, they can use the city parking structure right next door -- it has plenty of capacity.

Also, note that almost all the apartments are studios. I suspect they are going to try and make these units somewhat affordable.
    Isn’t the NIC portion the part facing main street on the left hand (east) side of the building or am I looking at it wrong? Figure the coworking area would be where all the windows are on the right/west side and leasing office would be closer to the front and the pool equipment room is on the opposite side of all that.

Looks like the NIC area is also being given its own dedicated bathrooms that aren’t accessible from anywhere else on the first floor (at least as the plans are currently drawn up) and there are other bathrooms for the lobby/amenities area/offices as well as the pool.

As far as developers/owners…the amenities are nearly identical to what Tanenbaum built into Lincoln Plaza/Presley (aside from the lack of basketball court and bringing Pickelball indoors) and are even laid out similarly given the differences in the two spaces…so that’s probably a good guess. Another mid century building with a ton of space for additional development.

14. Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

Think that many studio apartments are going to be taken downtown? Seems like most of what's down there is larger, more upscale. I'm always an advocate for more affordable housing also being developed, so this is great. But it feels like they went to the opposite end of the spectrum. The walls really make it difficult to do much else, so I get it. But they could at least cut a hole between them to create multiple rooms without creating a massive expense. Maybe only one floor or two or something.

That's just a LOOOOT of studio in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Think that many studio apartments are going to be taken downtown? Seems like most of what's down there is larger, more upscale. I'm always an advocate for more affordable housing also being developed, so this is great. But it feels like they went to the opposite end of the spectrum. The walls really make it difficult to do much else, so I get it. But they could at least cut a hole between them to create multiple rooms without creating a massive expense. Maybe only one floor or two or something.

That's just a LOOOOT of studio in one place.
    1. Studios and affordable apartments are in the highest demand category in OKC.
    2. 200 apartment units in a city of 700,000 people is not that many apartments.
    3. This is a very initial design; I would expect it to evolve.

We need more affordable housing, especially downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    1. Studios and affordable apartments are in the highest demand category in OKC.
    2. 200 apartment units in a city of 700,000 people is not that many apartments.
    3. This is a very initial design; I would expect it to evolve.

We need more affordable housing, especially downtown.
    I would probably try to mix in at least some true one bedrooms as well (if they can) just to add a little variety because those are also in very high demand but even if they don’t, I bet this whole thing is leased fairly quickly with all the amenities it offers.

I bet they are trying to get assistance related to affordable housing.

Excellent news. Good project and I like this very central location. More inhabitants in the CBD \ downtown will give a better feel to it too.

Talked to someone at Gardner Tanenbaum and they said this is not their project.

Jonathan Russel (current owner) may be doing it himself.

BTW, that upcoming docu-series about the Institute of Basic Life Principles should be very interesting.

Most know their founder (Bill Gothard) was run off by all types of sexual harassment claims and when there is a series on these semi-cults, it's always pretty ugly.
    https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/inside...r-family-cult/

Here is an interesting article about the IBLP. Yeah, that sounds pretty ugly. I was closely associated with someone who has the mindset of these people. Save your first kiss for alter, raise women to be future husbands without making them get diplomas. It's a creepy world. The docuseries will be on Prime if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/inside...r-family-cult/

Here is an interesting article about the IBLP. Yeah, that sounds pretty ugly. I was closely associated with someone who has the mindset of these people. Save your first kiss for alter, raise women to be future husbands without making them get diplomas. It's a creepy world. The docuseries will be on Prime if anyone is interested.
    I dated a lady who was very deeply involved before a divorce in her thirties. She had met BIll Gothard multiple times. I didn’t follow up but she did mention something about there being a very good reason people think he’s creepy.

Weird that I missed this is the group associated with the Duggars. Yikes.

23. Default Re: Institute in Basic Life Principles (old Holiday Inn)

This place has creeped me out ever since that group was in there. I noticed recently that one of the top rooms had a light on and the fan going. I am glad to know that they are working on something and it isn't some ghost. LOL

Any system that puts absolute power and authority in the hands of men only is always going to breed rampant sexual abuse and other horrible acts.

Not just religions but also businesses and other organizations. Having worked extensively in the entertainment industry in the 90s before the 'me too' movement, I could share stories that you would not believe. Looking back, I have a hard time believing it myself.

Talked to someone at Gardner Tanenbaum and they said this is not their project.

Jonathan Russel (current owner) may be doing it himself.
    That is disappointing as Gardner Tanenbaum has a pretty good track record of implementation

Thread Information