Widgets Magazine

Thread: Been a long time-Jimmy the Greek's.

Northwest OKC Been a long time-Jimmy the Greek's.

Anybody remember a restaurant at Northwest 6th and North Harvey (northwest corner) set back off the street. I think the actual name was Lafayette Cafe, but everybody I knew called it Jimmy the Greek's.

Lunch time cafeteria style service and everybody would just say, "The Works" and Jimmy would pile everything there high on a plate. Chicken fry steak, mashed potatoes, spaghetti and meat sauce, green beans, corn and pinto beans. Ain't the place for a dieter, you did not leave hungry.

If you wanted another roll, he would open the warmer and throw it across the room, better catch, just one chance.

The lunch crowd was everything from plumbers to business executives and most often the Greek Municipal Judge, something like Denopolis.

This was in the early to mid sixties, I moved from Oklahoma City to Dallas in 1968 and wanted to eat there one more time, but had a pregnant wife and a troublesome moving situation.

Default Re: Been a long time-Jimmy the Greek's.

In the 1940s, Robinson and his friends from Classen High School loved to eat at the Lafayette Cafe in downtown Oklahoma City.

The problem was, James Antonio, known to his customers as "Jimmy the Greek," operated his restaurant just down the street from Classen's arch-rival, Central High School. The 50-cent full-plate lunch attracted many Central students to the cafe and it also brought their rivals from Classen.

Antonio was also known as the "Chicken Fry King of Oklahoma," and Robinson and his fellow Classen Comets couldn't resist one of their favorite meals.
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...f/62191645007/

I found this from 10/27/64:

i think that address would put it on the same spot as the regency which was built in 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i think that address would put it on the same spot as the regency which was built in 1967.
    No, Lafayette was on the NW corner, which is now a parking lot directly north of the bus station.

If you look at the aerial from 1969 you can see a small building there, set back from the street.

^gotcha... google maps labels that as "407 nw 5th st parking." given that, i had assumed that 405 would've been on the east side of hudson.

Pete: I attended Central High School and when I could afford it would eat there (had an old car that took all my money). I would have swore it was on Northwest Sixth Street, but see it was on Northwest Fifth.

As a side note: Central High School Cafeteria was the very worst excuse for a meal provider EVER. Nobody ate there. Those that brought their lunch occupied the tables.
    I do not know if it was the quality of the food provided, the staff or just teenagers desire for food teenagers ate. My father and mother as well as a bunch of aunts and uncles all graduated from Central and they all agreed, it was terrible even back in 1934 when my father attended.

Jimmy was a character I will never forget. After hiring on the police department in Dallas after my military service there was a Greek owned cafe called Gus' and the owner was a lot like Jimmy. You did not leave hungry and it was inexpensive so all the cops ate there.

Thread Information