Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tulsa Population Growth

Default Tulsa Population Growth

Thought I'd start a thread on Tulsa population.

Seems like the city and area are definitely picking up some steam. At this rate they could crack the top 50 US metros by 2030.

2023 estimate: 1,044,757, up 10,709 from 2022. (1.04% increase)

2020-2021: (8,463) (.8%)
    2021-2022: (8,235) (.8%)

Tulsa MSA Counties (2020-2023):
    1. Tulsa: +13,591 (interestingly, has the largest international immigration in the state from 2020-2023)
    2. Wagoner: +8297
    3. Rogers: +5,012
    4. Creek: +1,580
    5. Okmulgee: +325
    6. Pawnee: +309
    7. Osage: +305

Total: +29,419

Few other things I find interesting.

-Too soon to 100% confirm, but Broken Arrow is on track to supplant Norman as the 3rd largest city in the state.

-I'm keen to see if Tulsa's density #s begin to increase again. Several thousand apartments have either finished or are planned Downtown.

Default Re: Tulsa Population Growth

Not too bad for a stagnant, dying city.

I would argue that Broken Arrow will not jump Norman any time soon. Norman still has a good 10,000 more residents than BA, moreover Norman has always had steady growth. BA is only growing at a 1% faster rate, not that much.

At that rate it will take at least 10 years or more for BA to surpass Norman, unless Norman's growth just becomes stagnant, which I don't see happening any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I would argue that Broken Arrow will not jump Norman any time soon. Norman still has a good 10,000 more residents than BA, moreover Norman has always had steady growth. BA is only growing at a 1% faster rate, not that much.

At that rate it will take at least 10 years or more for BA to surpass Norman, unless Norman's growth just becomes stagnant, which I don't see happening any time soon.
    Norman's biggest issue is the east side of town is full of NIMBY's and it is getting much more difficult to build any sort of significant housing there longterm, especially if a developer needs to rezone anything. BA is pretty much an anything goes kind of town development wise so it wouldn't surprise me if BA doesn't eventually surpass Norman. South BA has some of the highest concentrations of new apartment construction in the state right now with several thousand units under construction.

BA definitely has some positive momentum in the Tulsa metro but I agree it won’t pass Norman anytime soon. Though the East Tulsa/North BA area stands to benefit the most from future industrial developments at Fair Oaks and the Port of Inola.

Wish there was discussion about a future rail connection between Tulsa and BA - there is an existing line between the two downtowns.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    Norman's biggest issue is the east side of town is full of NIMBY's and it is getting much more difficult to build any sort of significant housing there long term, especially if a developer needs to rezone anything. BA is pretty much an anything goes kind of town development wise so it wouldn't surprise me if BA doesn't eventually surpass Norman. South BA has some of the highest concentrations of new apartment construction in the state right now with several thousand units under construction.
    Not exactly, its the West side of Norman who has the Nimby's. I used to live in Norman before I moved to Moore, so I know the facts. Furthermore, the northside of Norman anchored by Tecumseh Rd corridor and Flood is growing tremendously. Also there is retail boom in University North Park, also slated for more apartments and housing.

Not saying BA will never surpass Norman, but it wont be for awhile.

Not exactly, its the West side of Norman who has the Nimby's. I used to live in Norman before I moved to Moore, so I know the facts. Furthermore, the northside of Norman anchored by Tecumseh Rd corridor and Flood is growing tremendously. Also there is retail boom in University North Park, also slated for more apartments and housing.

Not saying BA will never surpass Norman, but it wont be for awhile.
    Keep in mind that, in long term, Broken Arrow has 55 square miles and Norman has 190 square miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Not too bad for a stagnant, dying city.
    It seems that $10,000 incentive or bribe to move to Tulsa doesn't seem to be working out too well. Not enough of the takers are replacing those moving out of Tulsa. Hopefully, a lot of them are simply moving to a Tulsa suburb.

https://tulsaremote.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It seems that $10,000 incentive or bribe to move to Tulsa doesn't seem to be working out too well. Not enough of the takers are replacing those moving out of Tulsa. Hopefully, a lot of them are simply moving to a Tulsa suburb.

Tulsa Remote has been wildly successful to the point of skewing the downtown/midtown housing market. I don't think the census reporting systems have a way track remote work numbers properly since it isn't tied to traditional employment numbers. The census population numbers for the city of Tulsa are wrong.

https://www.businessinsider.com/remo...obs-pay-2024-2

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post

Pretty sure he was being facetious. There are some on here that actually believe that.

Thread Information