Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

It seems the answer to this question is "The biggest problem is the one that affects me personally" which makes sense because it's the only way you'd know about it.

2. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    There's an interchange just like this one in Kansas City, KS. Wish ODOT would just copy their signs for it, because you really cannot get any clearer than this:

Have to admit, it's pretty clear as long as it gives enough warning to change over 3 lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ACOG needs to be doing traffic studies regarding adding a highway from I35 over to 74 in southern Logan County, even if it's a turnpike. If Logan County was smart, they'd be pushing for something like that with service roads that could end up being a cash cow for the county in terms of earned taxes associated with development.
    There not being a turnpike with that route in the plan announced a year or two ago was a bit surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It seems the answer to this question is "The biggest problem is the one that affects me personally" which makes sense because it's the only way you'd know about it.
    �� Absolutely! Don't know about the others because I don't drive those often.

5. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

At least buy ROW.......

6. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

It's definitely a matter of perspective because any of us in OKC have a different level of acceptable traffic than say someone in Dallas. But we do have some trouble spots that I think everyone can agree, are daily headaches for the people that travel those.

*I44-I40 interchange on the west side. Already in the planning stages to add lanes for 40 "through" traffic, Portland bridge, etc. This causes issues from all directions, and links to the next one too.
    *44 from about 23rd down to 240. Other than adding lanes, this is going to be a stop-and-go and only get worse. This is an EXTREMELY expensive effort, especially north of 40. I almost feel like this could 6 lanes + Express??
    *235 from 23rd to 35 in Norman. Same thing, it just needs more lanes, and it's SOOOO expensive to do this. I'm not holding my breathe.

Anywhere else in town, it's really just a little slow-down. If it's not adding more than 5 minutes to your commute, it's honestly not really traffic.

I rarely ever drive this stretch of highway at rush hour anymore, but want to shout out that given population trends and upcoming OTA projects, it’s a no brainer to extend I-44 from four lanes to six lanes between I-240 and Newcastle, and arguably all the way down to the H.E. Bailey spur while also adding in an interchange at SH-76.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I rarely ever drive this stretch of highway at rush hour anymore, but want to shout out that given population trends and upcoming OTA projects, it’s a no brainer to extend I-44 from four lanes to six lanes between I-240 and Newcastle, and arguably all the way down to the H.E. Bailey spur while also adding in an interchange at SH-76.
    Once I had to drive to Lawton around 4pm and I couldn't believe how backed up it was on 44 when you get south of 240. Personally, I know six people who live in Newcastle and commute to OKC proper for work every day. And it is only going to get more crowded as land in that area is still relatively affordable so builders can build housing additions down there for cheaper than Moore, Norman, Mustang, Yukon, Edmond and Deer Creek areas.

The biggest project that needs done in OKC I think it is the i40 i44 interchange (i40 east and west) where the lane goes down to 2 lanes. It needs to be expanded. I don't know how you do it and it will be a traffic nightmare but it needs to be done soon

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    The biggest project that needs done in OKC I think it is the i40 i44 interchange (i40 east and west) where the lane goes down to 2 lanes. It needs to be expanded. I don't know how you do it and it will be a traffic nightmare but it needs to be done soon
    I40 over both 44 and portland starts this summer

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Rebuilding the interchange?

12. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

This will be fantastic when complete since I40 on both sides of this have been redone recently, While it's being done it will be "avoid at all costs ".

Nice...any documents on what all they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    Nice...any documents on what all they are doing?
    https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...CWP%20book.pdf

I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER I-44 5.3 MIS. E. OF THE CANADIAN C/L("K" INTERCHANGE).

I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER PORTLAND AVE. 5.0 MIS. E. OF THE CANADIAN C/L

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Rebuilding the interchange?
    this project is just the I40 main line ... bridges the rest of the interchange is in a later project

Man, the next seven years are going to suuuuuuuck... 40/35, 240/35, 44/40 and 44/74/66 will all be under construction at some point or another...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yep, that whole intersection is bad. To OKC Drummer's point, going WB (SB?) on I-44 and changing to Hefner parkway is poorly laid out. Also, you are dealing with people going from NB to exit on NW 50th and then they have to cross with the people merging as well. Unless they want to tear it down and start over with a five stack, not a whole lot they can do.
    ODOT has some sort of project planned there on the 8-Year plan for FY2030. Sketchy on the details but it is listed at $17.4 million. It goes alo0ng with some sort of expansion of the LHP north to Memorial in FY2031.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This wasn't exactly what I saw regarding traffic counts, but it does show that NB I-44 just before 39th has a daily traffic count of 165,000 cars, which is the highest I could find on the map (I'm sure others will correct me if there are higher #'s elsewhere):

https://acog.public.ms2soft.com/tcds...?loc=Acog&mod=
    That would be about right. 165,000 cars is probably also the highest reading in the state. I remember US-169 before the OK-51 interchange in Tulsa had readings in the 160ks before as well but it seems recent numbers are lower.

19. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

Once I had to drive to Lawton around 4pm and I couldn't believe how backed up it was on 44 when you get south of 240. Personally, I know six people who live in Newcastle and commute to OKC proper for work every day. And it is only going to get more crowded as land in that area is still relatively affordable so builders can build housing additions down there for cheaper than Moore, Norman, Mustang, Yukon, Edmond and Deer Creek areas.
    I spaced on that one and yes, it's pretty bad. A lot of that is caused by that 44 path down to 240. It's not quite bumper to bumper after 240, but it's FULL. That portion really does need to be 3 lane all the way to the turnpike as that area continues to grow. And there is plenty of room to do that, and the way most of the bridges are built over the street roads, i think they can use the same "build between" method to add the bridge lanes. So hopefully, whenever that gets on the radar, it's not as bad as it could be if they had to tear out every bridge too.

ODOT has "interchange operational improvements" for Deadman's Curve (NW39th/I44/OK74) in their 8-Year plan. ROW acquisition FY25, Utilities FY26 and actual construction in FY30. Given the scope and $$$ (17.4 million for construction), it is obvious they will add a second I44 NB to EB lane. They could also add a WB44 to NB OK74 lane, but not sure about that.

I feel like people are driving more aggressively (running red lights, not letting people merge, stopping traffic to make a left-hand turn) since the bicycle lanes were added to Classen Blvd. The northern section of Classen near Helm's farm (south of NW expressway) seems to be where the drivers calm down and start driving in a more typical Oklahoma Fashion.

22. Default Re: Biggest traffic issues in the metro...

I thought the changes would be good, but eastbound on the Kilpatrick Turnpike as you approach Broadway Extension usually has a good amount of traffic each morning. It never used to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I thought the changes would be good, but eastbound on the Kilpatrick Turnpike as you approach Broadway Extension usually has a good amount of traffic each morning. It never used to be like that.
    Every once in a while I have to drive NB Broadway Extension to WB Kilpatrick Turnpike around 5. Typically, I stay in the middle lane until the 122nd street exit then merge over when people are exiting. In never ceases to amaze me how backed up it can get and how many people are in the far left lane and last minute shoot over the exit and cut everyone off. Then, the flyover ramp to WB gets back up because people going from Kilpatrick don't know they have the ROW and people coming SB Broadway Extension to WB Kilpatrick don't know that they are supposed to yield...

the flyover ramp to WB gets back up because people going from Kilpatrick don't know they have the ROW and people coming SB Broadway Extension to WB Kilpatrick don't know that they are supposed to yield...
    That drove me crazy when I had to drive that route every day. I cannot count the number of times I was nearly hit by someone coming up that on ramp and failing to yield.

Another issue that I cannot figure out why it has been left that way - there is only one lane of southbound 235 that is a continuous connection with I35 South. There is more than enough space to have at least two uninterrupted paths that would not require a lane change from the 235/44 interchange.

..............Then, the flyover ramp to WB gets back up because people going from Kilpatrick don't know they have the ROW and people coming SB Broadway Extension to WB Kilpatrick don't know that they are supposed to yield...
    Yes, if OTA would make it two-lane at that merge point you're talking about and put those dividers up or even a barrier that separates the proposed lanes so there's no slow down with people thinking they need to merge. They could stripe that extra lane extending over that railroad bridge and take it all the way to the plaza that's not being used anymore allowing a safe merge.

Thread Information