Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Streets/traffic/roads

Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    ^^ That was enjoyable but back to the subject....

I think a huge part of the problem most everywhere is cities sticking in non-thinking and non-demand (timed cycle) traffic lights at neighborhood feeder and shopping centers. These should ALL be on-demand lights so the main streets are always on green unless a vehicle is at the side-street. One of my major pet-peeves is having to stop at a traffic signal for absolutely no reason.
    I agree. I often think most of those lights you're describing need to turn into alternate blinking yellow/red after a certain hour. For example, after 8 or 9PM have those lights start flashing red for the side streets and yellow for the through arterial way and stay that way until like 6:45 or 7 the following morning.

Look at the Kohl's traffic signal on Santa Fe maybe 200 feet north of Danforth. That in itself if a farce given how close it is to a major intersection. I stop at that light just about every single time I drive through there only to stop at Danforth (or having had been stopped there.) Same with the light on Kelley Ave over in front of the Lowe's.

And speaking of the Danforth and Santa Fe intersection -- including the traffic signal at that intersection, there are five full traffic signals within a quarter mile of that intersection. They are not timed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Look at the Kohl's traffic signal on Santa Fe maybe 200 feet north of Danforth. That in itself if a farce given how close it is to a major intersection. I stop at that light just about every single time I drive through there only to stop at Danforth (or having had been stopped there.) Same with the light on Kelley Ave over in front of the Lowe's.

And speaking of the Danforth and Santa Fe intersection -- including the traffic signal at that intersection, there are five full traffic signals within a quarter mile of that intersection. They are not timed at all.
    Exactly. And this is not unique to that intersection. Edmond has other intersections that have the same problem.

Are any of you directing any of this to the City of Edmond?

I know a teen that recently got a job about a mile and a half from home. They have to go through 7 stoplights to get to work. That's 14 round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Are any of you directing any of this to the City of Edmond?
    Edmond has acknowledged the traffic problems in the past. They send out an annual survey for feedback on the worst intersections and have tried attempts like the ILS system that doesn't seem to be as effective as originally marketed for the city.

However, they (City of Edmond) have also painted themselves into a corner. A lot of these problems mentioned regarding traffic flow would require a complete overhaul of main roads in the city, unfortunately, the right of way for years has been given priority to houses and businesses that bump up right to the road. The majority of the main roads in the core of the city reflect traffic flow for when the city was around 35,000, it's is now pushing 100k in city limits alone, not counting the countless homes in "pretend Edmond" in NWOKC that drive into west Edmond for services.

This has been discussed before on the OKC Talk threads, but the image below is from the StrongTown series and sums up how Edmond neighborhoods have been developed over the past 20-30 years. The push to have all vehicles feed directly to main roads creates a lot of the traffic issues as well.

Strong Town Example.jpeg

6. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

I'm not sure what your solution is. Main arteries are supposed to carry the bulk of traffic (obviously within reason). The problem is putting in 14 traffic lights in a mile and a half distance.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The problem is putting in 14 traffic lights in a mile and a half distance.
    I think that is the solution, but its not an easy one to fix. Edmond's main arteries should flow since everything "dumps" out on the mile by mile grid streets. Turn lanes, center medians, wide lanes, 3 lanes in each direction, right turn inlets into businesses and neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the city is stuck with very narrow one and two lane main roads in key places, lack of turn lanes, an abundant love of traffic lights, and many neighborhoods and businesses that bump right up to main roads with little to no egress for road expansion.

Since an elevated roadway of Broadway from 33rd to Danforth is out of question, maybe get ahead of the game and build a freeway like east/west route between Covell and Waterloo to allow connection to I-35 and HWY74, that could ease some of the middle of the city traffic that goes north/south everyday? Take a page out of Texas's road planning and build roads before they are needed when it is much cheaper to build.

North Boulevard just south of Covell and the stretch of road of Covell from Kelly to BLVD/Broadway is what the rest of the city's main arteries should look like to allow ease of flow. Removing some stoplights on Broadway, or looking at the patterns of the lights from 2nd to 33rd would be beneficial.

The problem with that is that its about 25 yrs too late. Too many expensive homes to buy out. The city is just going to have to deal with one that was planned for 35 K to 50K population tops. I bet we are over 100 K right now, with growth east of I 35 now in and coming years, growing in southern Logan county and also growing to the west, all these folks will for one reason or another travel through the heart of Edmond. Can we say grid lock? I remember days of it on 2nd st and trying to get out and travel west or east from Fire Station 1 20 25 yrs ago under grid lock conditions. Its only going to get worst. Also with Edmond pushing for density, ugh. I dont want to think about this. I am east of I 35 and even east side with housing additions going it, the traffic has really picked up in the last 2 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think that is the solution, but its not an easy one to fix. Edmond's main arteries should flow since everything "dumps" out on the mile by mile grid streets. Turn lanes, center medians, wide lanes, 3 lanes in each direction, right turn inlets into businesses and neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the city is stuck with very narrow one and two lane main roads in key places, lack of turn lanes, an abundant love of traffic lights, and many neighborhoods and businesses that bump right up to main roads with little to no egress for road expansion.

Since an elevated roadway of Broadway from 33rd to Danforth is out of question, maybe get ahead of the game and build a freeway like east/west route between Covell and Waterloo to allow connection to I-35 and HWY74, that could ease some of the middle of the city traffic that goes north/south everyday? Take a page out of Texas's road planning and build roads before they are needed when it is much cheaper to build.

North Boulevard just south of Covell and the stretch of road of Covell from Kelly to BLVD/Broadway is what the rest of the city's main arteries should look like to allow ease of flow. Removing some stoplights on Broadway, or looking at the patterns of the lights from 2nd to 33rd would be beneficial.
    all of Covell will be that BLVD concept from I35 to sante fe .. (eventually )

It is complete from I35 to just east of coltrane .... and from just east of broadway to just east of santefe ..

the coltrane to just east of bryant section has a completed design and the just east of byrant to just east of broadway is in design ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    all of Covell will be that BLVD concept from I35 to sante fe .. (eventually )

It is complete from I35 to just east of coltrane .... and from just east of broadway to just east of santefe ..

the coltrane to just east of bryant section has a completed design and the just east of byrant to just east of broadway is in design ...
    I understand this piece is in progress but with zero funding solution and no expectation for it to get done in the near future. It took me complaining (along with many other people) to get Coltrane to add the temp turn lane. Covell will need to be the expanded lanes from Sante Fe to Air Depot at a minimum with the new middle and elementary school coming in the next 2 years. Sante Fe east is needed now as well but less of a need than the rest I mentioned. While traffic lights (and mostly their inept setup) causing a major issue throughout the city, it is also all the curb cuts which drives more stop and go traffic. 2nd and Blvd is a major issue and the city needs to get over the Territorial school not being able to be moved to increase ability to address the road issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    I understand this piece is in progress but with zero funding solution and no expectation for it to get done in the near future. It took me complaining (along with many other people) to get Coltrane to add the temp turn lane. Covell will need to be the expanded lanes from Sante Fe to Air Depot at a minimum with the new middle and elementary school coming in the next 2 years. Sante Fe east is needed now as well but less of a need than the rest I mentioned. While traffic lights (and mostly their inept setup) causing a major issue throughout the city, it is also all the curb cuts which drives more stop and go traffic. 2nd and Blvd is a major issue and the city needs to get over the Territorial school not being able to be moved to increase ability to address the road issue.
    the mile from east of coltrane to east of bryant is funded ..

that leaves 1 mile to go (bryant to broadway) to get to sante fe

Edmond 100% in a future bond issue needs to fund the same blvd concept (or at least a widening ) from Air depot (really should be douglas) on the east and from sante fe to the city limit (which is penn) on the west .. and then work with the county / state to fund a widening of covell from Penn to portland ..

the mile from east of coltrane to east of bryant is funded ..

that leaves 1 mile to go (bryant to broadway) to get to sante fe

Edmond 100% in a future bond issue needs to fund the same blvd concept (or at least a widening ) from Air depot (really should be douglas) on the east and from sante fe to the city limit (which is penn) on the west .. and then work with the county / state to fund a widening of covell from Penn to portland ..
    1000%

I def feel that if they would get that done it would blow up with increased development both in terms of housing and retail. Would love for it to expand to Douglas now which is very much needed. Would also like to see them expand Covell out to Westminster and then Westminster from at least Coffee Creek down to 2nd/66 as the high school will get built in the next 8 years and will drive a ton of development and traffic.

1000%

I def feel that if they would get that done it would blow up with increased development both in terms of housing and retail. Would love for it to expand to Douglas now which is very much needed. Would also like to see them expand Covell out to Westminster and then Westminster from at least Coffee Creek down to 2nd/66 as the high school will get built in the next 8 years and will drive a ton of development and traffic.
    yes sir ..

I forgot to add that I was right there with you asking for the turn lanes and the temp Light at Covell and coltrane .. (I live very close to that intersection )

yes sir ..

I forgot to add that I was right there with you asking for the turn lanes and the temp Light at Covell and coltrane .. (I live very close to that intersection )
    I was HOLLERING about that intersection bc of the traffic backed up so bad there. Amazing how just a small improvement has drastically changed the flow through there.

I was HOLLERING about that intersection bc of the traffic backed up so bad there. Amazing how just a small improvement has drastically changed the flow through there.
    for sure between that and finally adding the lights at Covell and I35 cut down my commute time a bunch ...

1000%

I am one of the folks that moved out here to get away from traffic and people and problems of people messing with my horses. I also wanted to be able to ride and drive the roads. What about us who put a life time of work into our places to be able to do this? How is that going to help us be able to drive the roads ie with a 2 wheel cart. We cannot just jump into the bar ditch. I did roll my cart horse and myself once. What about all the wild life? where are they to go? or are theyjust suppose to be dead by being hit by cars?? People dont watch or they do so on purpose. I was chasing 12 deer off the road. I dont move fast with my bad knees. Guy was mad because I cannot move fast so he hit me with his truck knocking me down. Another nice guy jumped out of his truck and called me every 4 letter word in the book and expected me to just jump up. I told him I cannot. This is the attuide that I am dealing with out here. I am older and retired, hard to just pickup and move and start from scratch all over again. No I dont want to live in town. No place for a shop building garden horses chickens (roosters) and open space ie your own large acreage.
    I am feeling like I am getting invaded.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I am one of the folks that moved out here to get away from traffic and people and problems of people messing with my horses. I also wanted to be able to ride and drive the roads. What about us who put a life time of work into our places to be able to do this? How is that going to help us be able to drive the roads ie with a 2 wheel cart. We cannot just jump into the bar ditch. I did roll my cart horse and myself once. What about all the wild life? where are they to go? or are theyjust suppose to be dead by being hit by cars?? People dont watch or they do so on purpose. I was chasing 12 deer off the road. I dont move fast with my bad knees. Guy was mad because I cannot move fast so he hit me with his truck knocking me down. Another nice guy jumped out of his truck and called me every 4 letter word in the book and expected me to just jump up. I told him I cannot. This is the attuide that I am dealing with out here. I am older and retired, hard to just pickup and move and start from scratch all over again. No I dont want to live in town. No place for a shop building garden horses chickens (roosters) and open space ie your own large acreage.
    While I do not condone anyone assaulting you or your property in that manner you have described. Oklahoma City and many other cities in the United States have been sprawling for the better part of a century. You do not have a guaranteed right to not have other property owners develop their land as they see fit. If you want your own private oasis away from it all you kind of have to pay for it (buy up surrounding land) or move out further into to the actual rural areas of the state. It is not convenient and I understand your frustration, however we live in the world that is and not the world that we want it to be.

When I moved out here back in 1983, the land was in the Okc school district and kids went to inter city schools. Basically it was not a popular area. The thinking was that if it would develop it would be large lots ie acreages. That is why I moved out here. I spent my life time and worked 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to have what I have. I would get home at 10 pm and work on my place place with my truck's head lights. I could not go farther out because of my job. Yes some actually lived an hour or more out but that was the exception. I thought this was a good balance. esp when working 2 jobs most of the time and sometimes a part time occasional position. I still wanted to have time to enjoy my horses and place. Now that I am older and retired, I dont have the energy to start from scratch and build stuff again. I just want to enjoy my place. By the way, why I am so concerned about deer on the road. I saw a buck at 2nd and I 35. I could have stopped and chased him away. I did not. I went in to work. When I got there I turned around and responded to a deer that went through a lady's winshild that she hit then she hit the bridge post. She had jsut dropped off her kids. If I took that few mins of time I could have prevented her death and kids would have had their mom. I have to live with this. This is why. I say never again.

Yes I have bad knees that is why I am looking to get back into driving vs riding. I used to drive the roads in my cart.

Far out rural areas=no good health care and shopping. Just shopping to get parts to fix something would be a long drive.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I understand the want to move out into the rural areas (which this area has been up until the last 5 or so years when housing has blown up in the area. Unfortunately, without you owning the land, it is more and more difficult to direct what happens with it.
    The high school, middle school and elementary school will all be built in the next few years. That will only drive more homes, retail, businesses to the area and the need for road expansion.

The issue at hand is the city grid was built for 30-40k people and there is now 100k and the roads are not sufficient.

The OKC metro sprawls. That's nothing new. Land is plenty so we build out and not up.

That being said, I've expressed on here before the futility of it. People move out from the city to get away from it all. Strip centers and fast food is built to these outliers so as to be more convenient. Before you know it, what you were trying to get away from has followed you. So people move out even further and it follows them again. Meanwhile the new area of 20 years ago gets left and run down.

I've been paying more attention and I see what you guys are saying about curb cuts. Some areas have so many that they're nearly on top of each other.

Also, they need to stop putting them so close to busy intersections. Like Danforth and Kelly for instance. I feel like if you're trying to exit Starbucks at 4:15pm, that's on you. It's not my job to let you in. Especially if you think you're gonna turn left.

I know when people let cars in, they think they're being nice. But, actually, you're being a jerk to the 80 cars behind you that missed the light and got stranded for another 10 minutes.

ON EDIT: This sounds a little harsh on a reread. But also know that I don't ask or expect to be let in when I'm that guy trying to exit a parking lot. It's my job to find a break in traffic where I can safely enter the roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I've been paying more attention and I see what you guys are saying about curb cuts. Some areas have so many that they're nearly on top of each other.

Also, they need to stop putting them so close to busy intersections. Like Danforth and Kelly for instance. I feel like if you're trying to exit Starbucks at 4:15pm, that's on you. It's not my job to let you in. Especially if you think you're gonna turn left.

I know when people let cars in, they think they're being nice. But, actually, you're being a jerk to the 80 cars behind you that missed the light and got stranded for another 10 minutes.

25. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

That's it, let's all ride horses everywhere we go.

Thread Information