Widgets Magazine

Thread: North Side Land Fills

Default North Side Land Fills

I think Mount Trashmore on I-240 east of I-35 is the most visible fill currently. But, I recall some that were on the north side of town into the 1960s-90s.

NW 10th going east from May Avenue to Villa on the south side of the street. I think they were filling in there through most of the 20th century. The east end, that entered from Villa, was working until 1995, or a bit later.

NW 115th east of Pennsylvania, south of Heritage Hall. I recall the Village used that for their dump in the 1960s, and I'm not sure when they ended it.

Hefner Road at the railroad tracks between Western and Broadway Extension on the north side. 1960s-70s?

Memorial and May Avenue-SW Quadrant. !960s?

Anyone have any recollections on these or others on the north side?

Default Re: North Side Land Fills

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think Mount Trashmore on I-240 east of I-35 is the most visible fill currently. But, I recall some that were on the north side of town into the 1960s-90s.

NW 10th going east from May Avenue to Villa on the south side of the street. I think they were filling in there through most of the 20th century. The east end, that entered from Villa, was working until 1995, or a bit later.

NW 115th east of Pennsylvania, south of Heritage Hall. I recall the Village used that for their dump in the 1960s, and I'm not sure when they ended it.

Hefner Road at the railroad tracks between Western and Broadway Extension on the north side. 1960s-70s?

NW 36th between Sooner and AirDepot ..

I believe The Greens neighborhood is built on top of an old landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

Are you talking about where OKLAHOMA COUNTY CRISIS INTERVENTION CENTER / NORTHCARE is now? It looks like those lands there and Positive Tomorrows campus lands were transferred in 2012ish. That church to the West was built in 1965. And the land immediately south of 10th street between May and Villa is mostly owned by Acme Brick since 1911.

No, there is a railroad line that runs west off of Villa and used to run straight west into the Fairgrounds. Acme Brick and "United Brick" both owned and dug brick out of the property north of the tracks from Villa almost to May Avenue. The land fill areas were filling the brick pits and appear to have started on the west end and moved east. The area from 10th south to the tracks and from about Miller east to Villa was the last fill, and it started around 1980. The entrance to that fill was off Villa just north of the tracks.

I'm sure Acme has owned the property east of Miller for eons. Could be 1911, but I recall the Assessor site seems to list 11-11-1911 as the transfer date for properties that have not had the ownership change prior to around 1970?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-01-29 17_10_05-Oklahoma County Clerk - Welcome - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	18590

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I pulled the most recent transfer and found a bit of the title history
    It looks like Acme started collecting the land in 1924.

IIRC, some area(s) West of Penn and South of 122nd (Camelot Estates neighborhood) was a landfill at one time.....could be mistaken.

Thread Information