Widgets Magazine

Thread: Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

Default Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

Hey All...

It's days like today that with a warm cup of coffee, a comfy chair and a nice fire in the fireplace...my mind drifts back in time. So here goes;

My earliest memory...I think 1975-76, middle school age I remember listening to Lester Boogie Micheals....104, 102.7fm???

Then I remember Mark Shannon on Kj103...Waaay before Shannon and the Egg Man and later Spinozzie.

When Dave & Dan-remember their Hiney Wine routine? Lisa on 107, Rick & Brad I think on the KATT.

KEBC-Buzzin Buzz Barton, Jan Roby...Then Danny Williams. I remember when Buzz Barton was let go on the air...I was going into Walmart in Edmond on 33rd. I was listening...went into Walmart...got in the car...Bam...he was let go.

Jack and Ron over the years. **Yes I know they podcast.

Maybe I was younger...maybe the times were different...but I miss local radio and their unique personalities. The crazy callers who would call in!!! Oh well..local for me is 105.9 country -Shawnee...or Sirius XM.

List your Okc radio DJ's you remember.

Stay warm.

Cohiba

Default Re: Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

Cindy Scull - KATT. Late 70's

Johnny Dark, Dale Wehba, Danny Williams.....

Ronnie Rocket and Teresa Maxwell. They are have been the morning show in KC for last 15-20 years T was a bridesmaid in our wedding

5. Default Re: Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

I had forgotten Cindy Scull and Johnny Dark. I loved radio in the late 60s to ? I can't put a finger on when it really changed but back then the music was great but you didn't mind listening to the DJs either. They were entertaining.
    Now the only local on air personalities I hear are the guys on the Animal. For the most part they're either knowledgeable or entertaining or both. Then there's Phll Inzinga. The fact that people find him funny is a sad statement about the state of our society.

Anyone remember a Jake Scott, or Jack Scott, something like that, who was on an FM station in the early to mid 1990's? He did a thing called "burn their buns".

Up in my starter...I mentioned Lisa. It was Lisa Myreck Miller.

Sadly lost Fred Hendrickson in 2021. Started DJ'n when he was 16 years old, the very week the Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s album came out at KBYE-AM 89. Within a few months, he landed his first real disc jockey job on KJEM-FM 102.7 (Now known as KJ-103). Read all about his career here:

https://archive.org/details/fred-hen...tored-unscoped

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Anyone remember a Jake Scott, or Jack Scott, something like that, who was on an FM station in the early to mid 1990's? He did a thing called "burn their buns".
    It was Jack Scott and the station was KTNT (97.7 FM which moved to 97.9 and now I believe 98.1). He was the program director and did morning drive. The rest of the day the programming was a rock feed from a satellite service.

The history of that 97.7/97.9 station is interesting, at least to a radio nerd like me!

As a kid growing up in the 60's, it was a battle between WKY and KOMA in the top 40 market. One notable name was Charlie Tuna at KOMA who went onto a huge career in LA.

https://www.radiohalloffame.com/charlie-tuna

For the baby boomers here, this KOMA aircheck will really bring back memories, First part is Charlie Tuna. Later is Dale Wehba.

https://airchexx.com/composite-koma-...oma-city-1966/

Charlie Tuna ".....Herb Alpert and the Marijuana Brass...."

LOVE those classic PAMS station jingles!

Late 60's into early 70's I had moved along away from Top-40 to music on FM.

Sam Stone (Sam Beck) KOCY-FM
    Traver Hulse KWHP who moved to the KATT

Speaking of KWHP....Michael Flowers (Kevin Metheny):

https://www.440int.com/namesm2a.html#_kmethe

He is now known forever as "Pig Vomit"....Howard Stern's name for him in "Private Parts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Metheny

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post
    It was Jack Scott and the station was KTNT (97.7 FM which moved to 97.9 and now I believe 98.1). He was the program director and did morning drive. The rest of the day the programming was a rock feed from a satellite service.
    Today I remembered Jack Scott was on KZBS (98.9) in the mid 80's, when he began the "burn their buns" stuff. Late 80's he was doing those again at KTNT.

Wow....I didn't mean to hog this thread! <g>

Not as "way back" as some of the other post, but "TJ and Tooker" on KJ103 during the time that OU football made their run to the national championship in 2000. They did the cover/parody songs about the Sooners run. The most famous was probably the Baha Men cover of "Who Let the Dogs Out" to "Who let the Sooners Out" - Could not go anywhere without hearing those songs blaring continuously on 102.7 that fall.

TJ and Tooker left soon after to another station, and then TJ came back in 2003 or 2004 and remains today.

Around that same time, KMOD in Tulsa was known across the state and eventually country for the prank calls of "Roy D. Mercer" by Phil and Brent. They must have released a dozen of the prank CD's that you could buy in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Not as "way back" as some of the other post, but "TJ and Tooker" on KJ103 during the time that OU football made their run to the national championship in 2000. They did the cover/parody songs about the Sooners run. The most famous was probably the Baha Men cover of "Who Let the Dogs Out" to "Who let the Sooners Out" - Could not go anywhere without hearing those songs blaring continuously on 102.7 that fall.

TJ and Tooker left soon after to another station, and then TJ came back in 2003 or 2004 and remains today.

Around that same time, KMOD in Tulsa was known across the state and eventually country for the prank calls of "Roy D. Mercer" by Phil and Brent. They must have released a dozen of the prank CD's that you could buy in stores.
    I forgot about "Who let the Sooners Out" until you just mentioned it. I remember loving that at the time. TJ and Tooker was replaced by Kidd Kraddick, a national syndicated morning show host that at the time was standardized on all of ClearChannel's Top 40 stations. On Wild 97.9, I remember Cisco and Mac on the Mic.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post

The history of that 97.7/97.9 station is interesting, at least to a radio nerd like me!
    I had always wished they would have left Wild 97.9 on 98.1 instead of making 98.1 the sports station and changing Wild 97.9 to Wild 104.9. From my memory, that was the beginning of the station's decline. Wild 97.9 was number one in the metro area ratings at one point. Citadel and then later Cumulus began to clearly not care about the station as much. I'm surprised it didn't flip formats sooner, as the ratings were abysmal through most of the 2010s. I was sad when it did, because that was my favorite station as a teenager, and it was awesome back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I had always wished they would have left Wild 97.9 on 98.1 instead of making 98.1 the sports station and changing Wild 97.9 to Wild 104.9. From my memory, that was the beginning of the station's decline. Wild 97.9 was number one in the metro area ratings at one point. Citadel and then later Cumulus began to clearly not care about the station as much. I'm surprised it didn't flip formats sooner, as the ratings were abysmal through most of the 2010s. I was sad when it did, because that was my favorite station as a teenager, and it was awesome back then.
    Wild 97.9 was great in the early 2000's. They still had Joey and Heather, plus Ronnie Ramirez, Cisco and the Radio Pepsi Stunts in the afternoon, and Bobby at night. They went after the younger crowd and the 18 in a row with no commercials, and crossed over more of the pop hits with urban hits. I don't think Power 103.5 existed yet. As the Sports Animal grew, they flipped frequencies with Wild, and Wild 104.9 covered a different part of the metro with the overall quality signal seemingly much smaller. Simply put, Wild back then was fun to listen to and always put callers on the air, for a short period of time, they were the king of OKC radio.

Dave Murray of Dave & Dan died two weeks ago today.
    Terry Estes (real name) passed just after his 80th birthday.

Terry...Dan of Dave and Dan...was an attorney or at least had his law degree.

Greg Zubek

There have been so many great DJs on the air in OKC, but my favorite would have to be Don Miller on K-Zeeeeee-B-S!

He had a very large market sound for the mid- to late 80s in sleepy little OKC.

There is a great clip of his airchecks at https://youtube.com/watch?v=KhzT7AW_...EhIY-BXQeiskxR

22. Default Re: Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

Lester "Boogie" Michaels was still working some in Denver the first few years l was here in the early 2000s.

23. Default Re: Okc Radio DJ's I Remember

Quote Originally Posted by Crisko View Post
    Sadly lost Fred Hendrickson in 2021. Started DJ'n when he was 16 years old, the very week the Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s album came out at KBYE-AM 89. Within a few months, he landed his first real disc jockey job on KJEM-FM 102.7 (Now known as KJ-103). Read all about his career here:

https://archive.org/details/fred-hen...tored-unscoped
    I loved Fred Hendrickson. He had a very unique voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post

Then I remember Mark Shannon on Kj103...Waaay before Shannon and the Egg Man and later Spinozzie.

I hit Mark Shannon and he tried to get me thrown out of Frontier City when I was in high school. The idiot grabbed me by the arm as I was walking by causing me to spill my expensive drink on me and knocked me off my feet. I got up real quick and hit him. I didn't know who he was. He was trying to get security to kick me out when the crowd came to my defense and told them he started it. They gave me a new shirt, a drink, and nachos. He never apologized and I never listened to him again.

Thread Information