Widgets Magazine

Thread: Nashville

Default Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Omaha meh, Kansas City meh.

One just needs to look as Nashville.
    Yes, to Nashville! Love Nashville! But realistically, I see OKC becoming closer to a peer city like Kansas City. OKC can strive to be "somewhat" comparable to KC in more ways.

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

What do people like about Nashville? It’s probably my least favorite US city I’ve visited. So much generic, cookie cutter development. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    What do people like about Nashville? It’s probably my least favorite US city I’ve visited. So much generic, cookie cutter development. What am I missing?
    What parts have you spent time in and how long were you there? '

I'd probably agree with you if you're comparing it to older cities like Boston or something like that, but I've never felt like I was overwhelmed by generic or cookie cutter developments there. Reminded me of a more country music centric Austin or Denver to an extent.

Agree, its skyline looks so messy to me.

I love Nashville. It's a beautiful city. Not a fan of the bat building but everything else is lovely. Great downtown and killer up and coming neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the world has caught on and it's become a very expensive city to buy a home in or rent.

My first time to visit Nashville was February of 2022. We stayed at the Cambria Hotel that was about a block from Broadway so we walked to all of the bars and restaurants in the area. One thing I will say that I like about Nashville that I haven't noticed in other cities is every bar had top of the line AV. The first night we were there, we went to a bar with a band that was a 90's rock cover band. It's capacity couldn't have exceeded 250 people. Every sound that came out of the system was crisp and clear and it was like that at five other places we visited over the next couple of days. When they say it is Music City, there is a reason.

My cousin works for a top notch bar there. He is 21, he bartends and plays guitar so he hosts some open mic nights and makes a ton of money doing it. Like others have stated, Nashville used to be a place that was forgotten and people went to NYC, LA, Austin, etc. for live music, but now everyone knows about it so it is becoming very expensive. I have another cousin that lives in Franklin, TN and they bought their house for $365,000 back in 2018. It is 2,000 sf and fully renovated. He things they could sell it for $700,000 tomorrow if they wanted. So, in five years, their property value has basically doubled.

Not a country music fan, so Nashville has never been in my vacation lingo, the wife on the other hand wants to go. I’m sure we will at some point, I just need to keep holding out!

I like Nashville, a lot of good spots, but MAN, the people are rude. Southern charm is a myth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    I like Nashville, a lot of good spots, but MAN, the people are rude. Southern charm is a myth.
    There are rude people everywhere (surprise, even in OKC).

Overall, I've found Nashville to be a pretty friendly city. But, like is said, treat people right and they treat you right... treat them badly and they treat you badly. We generally get what we expect, good or bad.

Southern charm is a myth.
    not a myth at all ..

if you find the south not to be friendly that says more about you

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Not a country music fan, so Nashville has never been in my vacation lingo, the wife on the other hand wants to go. I’m sure we will at some point, I just need to keep holding out!
    Me either and the time we went, about half the bars were playing country but the other half were playing rock or pop music.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not a myth at all ..

if you find the south not to be friendly that says more about you
    Wut? lol

13. Default Re: Nashville

I have no idea about any attraction to Nashville to live. But as I said in the Stockyards thread the bands playing in the popular bars have worked their asses off to get to play in Nashville. They're good and are there hoping to get noticed whether country, pop, alt or ?.
    Here I have actually been playing league pool in bars and heard conversations where a guy came in and the conversation went like this:
    Band guy, We'd like to play here.
    Owner, what do you play?
    Band guy, 70s Southern Rock. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros............
    Owner, You have your own equipment?
    Band guy, Sure.
    Owner, Be set up and ready for first song Friday at 9.
    HUGE difference from Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Kid rock, Justin Timberlake and a few other non country stars have places there also

15. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Kid rock, Justin Timberlake and a few other non country stars have places there also
    My one and only trip there I caught a 3 act rock show at 3rd and Lindsley... The headliners were an all girl band called the Dead Deads. I still listen to them to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I love Nashville. It's a beautiful city. Not a fan of the bat building but everything else is lovely. Great downtown and killer up and coming neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the world has caught on and it's become a very expensive city to buy a home in or rent.
    Agree. Some of their great neighborhoods are located in the Belmont-Hillsboro area in South Nashville and Belle Meade/ West Meade. Nashville has a lot of beautiful historic homes that are on tree lined streets. Centennial Park, their urban park is home to the Parthenon.

17. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

With it's incredible growth, I would bet the majority living now in metro Nashville are not native southerners.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    With it's incredible growth, I would bet the majority living now in metro Nashville are not native southerners.
    Nashville is odd to me. It’s definitely a southern city but sometimes it feels like it’s populated by people from other parts of the south that want to escape southern culture without having to leave the south. Still, I’d be surprised if a large majority - even with the regions growth - aren’t from Tennessee or Kentucky.

Thread Information